X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zarina
    • Jul 2004

RA-1060 and RMB-1075 set up with Pioneer VSX-AX5i

Currently my RA-1060 is driving the front speakers (B&W602-S3) in my HT set up using Pioneer VSX-AX5i as the main AV receiver. My RMB-1075 is arriving next week and I plan to have it driving my Centre (LCR600-S3), Surround (601-S3) and Surround Back (601-S3) speakers OR should I just use the RMB-1075 for the Front, Centre, and Surround channels because I kind of feel that the RA-1060 (60 Watt x 2) is under powered as compare to RMB-1075 (120 Watt x 5) and the amplifiers in the Pioneer AX5i (100 watt x 7)? Any better suggestion on how to extract the best Surround Sound and Music (2 channel stereo) from my RA-1060 and RMB-1075?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The only way to know for sure is try connecting them in the varrying configurations and see which you prefer. You may find the added juice of the 1075 will bennefit your mains, you may find the 1060 performs better for you...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• zarina
      • Jul 2004

Ok - I'll do that when my RMB-1075 arrives Monday next week.

I must say that I've chosen the RA-1060 against the Pioneer VSX-AX5i AV receiver (called Elite VSX-55TXi in US) for my mains mainly for 2ch stereo duty.

What about adding juice to it by bi-amping the RA-1060 with the 2 channels from the higher-powered amp RMB-1075. Leaving its other 3 channels for the rears and center? Will this configuration yield any dramatic improvement to my mains for 2ch stereo sound. I care much more about how my music sounds than my movies. In the first place, is it advisable to bi-amp this way, i.e. the RA-1060 being only 60w/ch and the RMB-1075 120w/ch?

Your insight is appreciated!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I wouldn't recommend it unless your speakers crossovers are set up to give twice the power to the bass as the mids/highs. Besides the true benefits of biamping only come in to play if you crossover the signal prior to amplifying it which is much trickier to do and invloves purchasing quality crossovers etc. You might just have to upgrade that 1060 to a nice 1080 :B :P

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• zarina
          • Jul 2004

When I did my research on Rotel dedicated stereo amps a year plus ago just before I bought my RA-1060, I came across a negative review on RB-1080, that stated:

"There's no denying it has plenty of muscle, but this comes at the expense of agility.
          The Rotel sounds ponderous next to the Cyrus aCA7.5/SmartPower/PSX-R or Creek P43R/A43MK2x2 nor is it adapt at revealing a slight change in the intensity of an instrument or a subtle variation of emphasis by a vocalist.
          Similarly, fast moving rhythms aren't treated with the finesse required, leaving it sounding a bit flat-footed, taking the edge off its ability to involve.
          Overall....BEST SUITED to those who place power above subtlety. For the rest of us there are other amps in this test that roundly eclipse the Rotel in most areas."

- UK's What Hi-fi magazine (3 out of 5 Stars
          )

Anyone out there who has the opportunity to listen/review the RB-1080 or who owns one would like to comment....I would really appreciate the input in order to make a decision whether to replace my RA-1060 with RB-1080 for the main/front speakers.

And do you guys think that the RB-1080 fits very well into my AV set up (if my Pioneer Elite AV receiver finally takes over the job as a pre-amp since the RB-1080 is just a power amp unit)?

I've made an appointment with a local dealer to listen to RB-1080 next week and over the phone he quoted me a price of US$950.00. (Few days earlier I got the RMB-1075 for US$1,025.00). Is this a good bargain?
          Last edited by zarina; 25 July 2004, 08:57 Sunday.

Comment

• dnn8350
            • Jun 2004

RB-1080 quality

I use an RB-1080 for 2-channel audio with an RA-1062 as a pre-amp. In this combination, the RB-1080 sounds to my ears just like the RA-1062 on its own, but with extra power, 'slam', bass extension and control. It loses none of the RA-1062's subtlety, pace, and 'air' - aspects of the RA-1062 that have been very well reviewed and recommended. It may be, as is often the case, that the two Rotels work better in tandem than pre and power combinations from different sources. But listen for yourself, and maybe try to directly compare with something like a solo RA-1062.

Comment

• zarina
              • Jul 2004

Finally my RMB-1075 has arrived and I set it up to drive my centre, front and rears.

The confluence of this upgrade results in an amp capable of both towering dynamic and spellbinding nuance. The level of realism is startling for a multi-channel amp (rated at 120W x 5) of this price.

The combination of Rotel RMB-1075, Pioneer VSX-AX5i receiver and DV-S969AVi (or Elite DV-59AVi/DV-868AVi) universal DVD player yielded stiring results. The sparks really began to fly when the first element, which is taken care of by FireWire (or IEE1394) connector, ensures improve performance by preserving data in its pure digital form for as long as possible before conversion to analogue for a cleaner audio signal path, outstanding detail levels and punch with a composed, assured and largely smooth tonality that's retained under duress. The overall effect is thrilling.

Now I'm focusing on RB-1080 power amp that could be RMB-1075 "ideal mate". A local Rotel dealer is willing to take in my 10 months old RA-1060 for a demo unit RB-1080 (black) for an additional payment of Ringgit Malaysia 1,100 (or US$289/157 UK Pound). The offer seems reasonable, an audition is a must to see if I feel the difference warrants the price.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Do it! :T

If you liked the jump from the 1060 to the 1075, you'll LOVE the 1080! :P

Jason
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"