X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

RMB1075 Vs RMB1095

I'm going Rotel soon and I'm wondering if anyone has done side by side 1075 vs the 1095?

I'm leaning towards the 1095. I'm gonna be running Dynaudio Audience 82's , 122 center , 42W rears. I have Polk Lsi 15 , LsiC and Lsi/Fx currently.

I have heard the Audience 72's on both the 1075 and rb1070. I perferred the 1070. I feeling that the extra power will do me justice.

The system will be laid out as follows

Rotel rsp1068
    Amps will be determined 1095 or 1075
    if I go 7 channel then 1080 or 1070 for fronts
    Dynaudio speakers listed above
    Kimber Kable Interconnects and speaker wire
    Pioneer Elite Dv47a

Thats just for DVD and sacd/dvd audio/ cd playback. I'm considering replacing the DVD player with the Denon 3910 or Pioneer Elite dv59avi. Or keeping the 47 and buying a Rotel 1072 cd player.

I use HD cable with Comcast Motorola 6214 Dual tuner DVR. I sitill have laserdisk in the Pioneer Elite CLD59. Might get booted as I never use it. SO with the Mitsubishi VCR... collects dust unless my kids watch one of there old tapes.

Currently I own B&K and I want to move forward or sideways depending on how you look at it.

Any and all comments I'm looking forward to reading

Thanks in advance,

Mantis
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

The 1075 and 1095 to me, sounded very similiar, voiced, image, everything. The 1095 you could tell on the really explosive stuff where the speakers need to be pushed well, had a little more "power" behind the sound (as well it does).

But other than that...I think they are pretty similar. I'd say if you have the money, the 1095/1080 combo works really well for a 7.1 system... Plus you wouldn't have to worry later down the road, "Man I wish I had gotten the extra power to push X speakers," if you upgrade...

Just depends on what you are capable and willing to put out into what areas.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

When in doubt, always get more power if the quality is equal. You never regret getting more power than you may need. BTW, I never heard of anyone trading in their 1095 for a 1075 though the reverse has frequently happened.

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Gee, I've used the 1075 in my HT for more than three years without the slightest urge to "upgrade'' to the 1095. The difference between the two is for all intents and purposes inaudible. We're talking about a 2 db difference in output. Now the Dyns are 4 ohm speakers, I believe. If you intend on doing some serious MC hi-rez music listening, then the 1095 would be the way to go since MC demands more power, especially if you like to crank your music. But for HT, it's an extreme rarity when all speakers are demanding power at the same time. That's why powered subs are used. Folks on this board are way too obsessed with numbers when it comes to amplification.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Thanks guys.

Mark_C.,
          I agree with the numbers game. I find alot of times that all the extra power is never needed. I however will use my newly restructured system for music and movies..about 50 50. But I don't want to buyu then long for the 1095 and 1080...

man this is going to be difficult.

mantis

Comment

• shadow
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dmantis
            Thanks guys.

Mark_C.,
            I agree with the numbers game. I find alot of times that all the extra power is never needed. I however will use my newly restructured system for music and movies..about 50 50. But I don't want to buyu then long for the 1095 and 1080...

man this is going to be difficult.

mantis
            Which is why you should get what you really want and not what others say is a reasonable compromise. These forums are full of people who compromise what they want to save a few dollars, then in six months or so they sell what they bought and get what they originally wanted, at a cost of a few hundred dollars they could have saved. As I said previously NO ONE has went from a 1095 to a 1075 for better sound quality just as no one went from a 1090 to a 1080. The more powerful amp in each case is a better amp too. If you get a 1075 you will long for the 1095, no question about it. The issue is whether you can or want to expend the much higher money needed to get what you really want :T

Comment

• Stevebez
              • Oct 2003

I have the 1075 & 1080 combo and am very happy. I will only go to a 1095 if I got the 1090 one day - now that 1090 is something else.

If you have the space though the 1095 is great ... but again how often and for how long do you really crank up your music?

If you have a dedicated sub the chances are you will need more than a 1075 are I guess 1% of the time.

Although that does not stop me dreaming os a 1090 1095 combo!!! If it were not for space restrictions ... and the wife ... they would probably be sitting proud right now in my cabinet er.... on top er .... next room ....

Regards Steve.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by shadow
                As I said previously NO ONE has went from a 1095 to a 1075 for better sound quality just as no one went from a 1090 to a 1080. The more powerful amp in each case is a better amp too. If you get a 1075 you will long for the 1095, no question about it. The issue is whether you can or want to expend the much higher money needed to get what you really want :T
                Oh really? I went from a 1095 to my 1075/1080 combination because I could not deal with the noise level of the 1095 that I first brought home. However, I do have VERY high efficiency speakers which reveal the slightest hum/buz. I found for me that the 1075/1080 combination did the 7.1 trick at about the same cost as a 1095. Also, the 1075 has a much better track record for reliability. It is the only piece of gear I have not had problems with (knock wood).
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

shadow,
                  I'm feeling what yoou have to say. I for one this time around don't want to compromise quality to save a few bucks. I also want to place my money well and buy what I feel is the right choice. The 1095 is top on my list.

DrJRapp,
                  really.... man noisy huh. Well I don't have efficient speakers now and where I'm going. Both my speakers now and then have a 4ohm load and 86 to 88 db rating. Polk lsi and Dynaudio.

Intresting reading , please keep it coming

mantis

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

I auditioned both with Paradigm Studio 20s and didn't notice enough of a difference to justify the extra $1000. From what I understand, your power needs will depend on the size of the speaker, sensitivity, volume of your room, and listening levels you wish to acheive. For my five bookshelf speakers (89dB sensitivity) in a 18'x12' room the RMB-1075 will drive my setup to 100dB+ SPLs and still remain clear (except for the ringing and bleeding along with the jelly of my eyes vibrating). I usually keep it around 75dB anyhow, so I still have plenty of headroom.

Give them an audition at your local shop if one is available.
                    ~Nick

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I currently own the RMB-1095 & RB-1080 combo in 7.1.

If I had the choice again I would chose the RMB-1075 & RB-1080, merely from an economic standpoint, I believe that provides the best bang for the buck.

My logic was to maintain balance in my system 200w all around, and I don't regret my choice, so it is a matter of what you want and/or need.

I don't feel the need to upgrade any further, but wait did someone say digital amps .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ds22030
                        • Sep 2004

Dmantis, this is 2+2 from the Polk forum....if there is any likelihood that you may keep your LSi15, you should remove 1075 from consideration from driving them. Highs are great, mids great but the 8" woofer at 4 ohms, 1075 does not control it well at all. My 1080 with 200W and much higher damping factor does it much much better.....

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

What up 2+2,

The lsi15's are on the chopping block . I don't plan on keeping them. Or any of the Lsi's for that matter.I have to have the Dyanduio Audience 82's along with the rest of the theater speakers and I have nothing I want more. I would go with B&K again but I perfer the way Rotel sounds with Dyanudio. I feel the B&K is much better on the Lsi15's as it has alot of current and can control the woofers well. the 82's are very power hungry but Rotel seems to mate perfectly. I really like this combo and the 1095 is really awesome. the mains however will go with whatever 2 channel amp I go with. the rb1070 or rb1080. I feel no need to own the rb1090 for theater use. I feel it's way out of the RMB1095's capability as what I have heard so far by demoing them. The RB1090 has such greater Dynamics. For just a 2 channel system , the RB1090 is killer.

mantis

Comment

• voxy
                            • Jan 2005

Well... I had always thought more (power) is better than less but the question is:"how many times do you play your music loud?"

I am currently using 1068/1075 and had been listening 90% of the time low to mid vol levels, somewhere between 35dB to 55dB. The amp is driving my SF GP which is rated 6ohms. I am happy with the performance and do not think higher power is required as beyond 60dB, it becomes too loud to appreciate music.

Comment

• basementjack
                              • Dec 2004

Am I going deaf?

I don't enjoy music below 70db.

I don't even think my radio shack sound meter picks up sounds below 40db does it?

Voxy - I would love a pair of your ears! And your quiet house!

Comment

• Nick M
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

I have 100/95 hearing (have to get mine checked every year working in my field), and would find 35dB way to quiet for my critical listening enjoyment. Many things in the background would be inaudible at this SPL. Do you mean your 1068 reads -35 to -55dB on the display?
                                ~Nick

Comment

• voxy
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                  I have 100/95 hearing (have to get mine checked every year working in my field), and would find 35dB way to quiet for my critical listening enjoyment. Many things in the background would be inaudible at this SPL. Do you mean your 1068 reads -35 to -55dB on the display?
                                  Right right.... I am not refering to the SPL reading. :lol:

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Jamil
                                    • Dec 2003

Dmantis,

I have the 1080/1075 combo with the 1068 pre/pro. The fronts are Dynaudio 72SE's, 122c for the center and a pair of 52SE's for the surrounds. The fronts are powered by RB-1080 and the rest by RMB-1075. When I made the purchase last December I could have gone with RMB-1095 (and the RB-1090)but didn't. Had to save some money for the CD player, CAT cables (interconnects as well as speaker cables) and the powercenter The CD player is RCD-1072 and boy does it do a great job on 2 channel when running straight through. The current setup is adequate for my listening needs and I do not plan on upgrading anytime soon.

--
                                    Nasser

Comment

• mickster1972
                                      • Feb 2005

I have the 1075 running my 4 Ohm DIY speakers (about 85 dB sensitivity (1W/1M), much like the Dynaudio's sensitivity), plus some other 8 ohm speakers for center and surround, about 86-87db sensitivity each. My room is rather large, about 7-8,000 cubic feet and it handles all of them with no problem, during surround sound movies and SACD/DVD-Audio playback alike.

The caveat is that I use a 500W powered subwoofer to handle anything under 80Hz. I don't think you really need the extra power offered by the 1095 if you are crossing over the lowest frequencies to the sub. If you were running all full range speakers, then I'd definitely think otherwise.

If it were me making the decision, I would buy the 1075 now, and then buy the 1080 for your full range front pair of Dynaudios as soon as you can thereafter (even if you don't go to 7.1 surround).
                                      "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• Dmantis
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jun 2004

Jamil,

Awesome speakers . I listened to the 72se's and almost pulled the trigger ont them. I feel the 82's just have that last bit of detail that I'm craving. But the 72se's are right there.

You use the rb1080 with the 1075.... man don't you get bad dynamic range differences during action scenes?? I noticed a difference between the rb1070 and the rmb1075 during action scenes at a friends house with the 122 center and 42W rears. Mind you they are all running in large so that maybe the factor here.

What are your thoughts with the 1080. I understand why you would want the 1080 for 2 channel. I bet those 72se;s sound incredible on it.

talk to me,

mantis

Comment

• voxy
                                          • Jan 2005

Dmantis, why not get the 1075 first to see if it meets your requirements? It would be easier to upgrade later by adding a used power amp. You can go with Krell, Bryston, Plinius, ML, Rotel, Classe, .....

Just a question for the rest, is it possible to bi-amp the 1075/1080?? sorry for hijacking.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jun 2004

voxy,

Thanks for the sugestions. I'm leaning now towards the rmb1075 and the rb1070. The rb1070 willdrive my mains and the 1075 the center and rears. I never mix and match amps as I find that to sound different when watching movies or multichannel music.

Yes you can Bi amp with the 1075. You can with any amp channels or any brand.

I lost the closest Rotel/ Dynaudio dealer in Soundex as they closet the doors forever. This is where I used to work and did tons of demoing when I was ready fro upgrading. Now I have to travel to World Wide Stereo and Video which carries Rotel and Dynaudio but no B&K for comparsion. Soundex did.

Dan

Comment

• Radec
                                              • Jan 2005

You use the rb1080 with the 1075.... man don't you get bad dynamic range differences during action scenes??

mantis
                                              Thought I'd add my observations. I have the same combo as Jamil (1080/1075 with 1068 pre/pro) and will admit when I first plugged everything in, It did sound a bit mismatched at first. To try to describe it is difficult, I guess it was like the volume on the Mains would go up a step or 2 during explosions, car chases, etc. leaving the 5 others behind (if that makes sense). However after many hours of working with the 1068, that virtually dissappeared. It really allows you to customize to your setup, pretty impressive unit.
                                              Kind of the best of both worlds IMHO. during 7 channel operation, the 2 almost act as one, where in 2 channel, the 1080 is incredible!!!!

Comment

• voxy
                                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Radec
                                                Thought I'd add my observations. I have the same combo as Jamil (1080/1075 with 1068 pre/pro) and will admit when I first plugged everything in, It did sound a bit mismatched at first. To try to describe it is difficult, I guess it was like the volume on the Mains would go up a step or 2 during explosions, car chases, etc. leaving the 5 others behind (if that makes sense). However after many hours of working with the 1068, that virtually dissappeared. It really allows you to customize to your setup, pretty impressive unit.
                                                Kind of the best of both worlds IMHO. during 7 channel operation, the 2 almost act as one, where in 2 channel, the 1080 is incredible!!!!

Well... could you share some thoughts on the 1080 / 1075 combo cuz I should go with this route. Would appreciate your comments especially with stereo. Thanks

Comment

• voxy
                                                  • Jan 2005

voxy,

Thanks for the sugestions. I'm leaning now towards the rmb1075 and the rb1070. The rb1070 willdrive my mains and the 1075 the center and rears. I never mix and match amps as I find that to sound different when watching movies or multichannel music.

Dan
                                                  Good choice.. you will not regret. But I fig it would be better to go with the 1080 since the cash diff is couple of hundreds and you get a solid 100watts more.

Comment

• Jamil
                                                    • Dec 2003

Dan,

I have yet to get into HT (movies) with my Rotel/Dyn setup. It is strictly playing music at this point and I am loving every minute of it. The Dyn's do have a considerable long break in period ~ 150 hours at least if not more. Couple that with tweaking the pre/pro and other devices will make a difference and/or may possibly address the concern expressed by you.

--
                                                    Nasser

Comment

• Joseki
                                                      • Sep 2003

For those that are talking about the 1095/1080 combo, I think you should think very hard about which channels power which speakers. If you listen to music primarily (2-ch stereo), then using the 1080 for the R+L mains is a good idea. OTOH, if movies are your thing, there is no way that I would use the 1080 in this manner. The 1080 and 1095 have different sound characteristics. The 1080 is a bit more 'dry' than the 1095. The front soundstage is so important in movies that the tonal mismatch of the 1095-powered center against the 1080-powered mains might be distracting. Just food for thought.

I have two rotel-based systems. One is 1095/1090 with the monster powering the mains (in direct conflict with my advice above). The 1090 has very similar tonal qualities with the 1095 and cannot be beat at reasonable price levels for stereo music. My other system is 991/991/1080/1080. The two 1080's power the front soundstage - with one channel unused. The 991's power the two sets of surround speakers. When you have a multi-amp installation, you must be very careful about matching them in order to get the best sound.

FWIW, I have never read anything bad about the 1075. However, power is good. If you can afford it, try to step up to the 1095. There are transients in movies that can pussh an amp for very short bursts. For these moments, it is always nice to have the headroom.

David

Comment

• tmt
                                                        • Jan 2005

silly question: how do you bi-amp a speaker using a stereo amp? ops:
                                                        There is one cable coming from the pre-amp. Do you need a special cable that has one connector at one end and 2 connectors at the other end?

Comment

• mjb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tmt
                                                          silly question: how do you bi-amp a speaker using a stereo amp? ops:
                                                          There is one cable coming from the pre-amp. Do you need a special cable that has one connector at one end and 2 connectors at the other end?
                                                          You split the pre-amp output cable, feeding the same signal to the left and right power-amps. You'd then then use say left for the low frequency, and right for the high frequency speaker connections.

Though strictly speaking this isn't 'proper' bi-amping. You'd normally want a crossover network of some sort (preferably active) which would split the pre-amp output signal into two (low frequency and high frequency components) *before* the power amp stage. The passive crossover in the speaker should also be removed.
                                                          - Mike

Main System:
                                                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• lvhung
                                                            • Jun 2005

many choose 1080/1075 than 1095
                                                            1080 seem better than 1095

Comment

• lvhung
                                                              • Jun 2005

If you have small room
                                                              less than 15x12 feet square
                                                              Buy the 1075 or 1070

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                                                                • Jun 2005

I tried the 1080/1075, but found the front soundstage out of whack with the rest of the system...So changed the 1075 to the 1095. To me, if you have the money, get the 1095, you won't be disappointed in spite of room size...

Mark

Comment

• Martinf
                                                                  • Oct 2003

I've been using my trusty RMB-1075 / RSP-1066 for about two years now. The 1075 drives all five channels.

I mainly use it for DVD-Audio music via the multichannel analog connections from my Denon DVD-5900 universal player.

I find there's plenty of clean power on tap. My only weak link at the moment is my smallish REL 100W sub, especially as I'm using bass management for the center & surrounds (fronts get full-range).

This also means that my centre & surrounds hardly ever need the full power that the RMB-1075 is capable per channel.

So for me -- no upgrade to the 1095. I rather spend the money on a bigger sub.
                                                                  I'll be back!

Comment

• lvhung
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

1095 really better 1075 at lower volume ? ? ?

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"