X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nash
    • Mar 2004

Question about adding a second amp to my RMB1075

I've currently got an RMB1075 and an RSP1066 with Definitive Technology speakers. I've ordered some new towers for the main L/R (Def Tech 7001SC's) which should be a considerable upgrade from my current towers (Def Tech ProTower 400's). I am going to move my ProTower 400's to the rear.

I think my new mains will do a lot better with more power, so I was thinking about adding a second amp. Currently, my mains get 120W from the RM1075, and I was looking at the RB1080 (200W) or the 1090 (380W) to power the new towers. The RB1080 is more in my price range. I'd use the RMB1075 for the center and rears (don't plan on 7.1 anytime soon).

The RB1080 has the same output as the RMB1095, so should I just simplify things and replace my RMB1075 with a RMB1095? Is there significant gain to be had in having two different 200W/ch amps over one 200W/ch amp? Should I really only get a second amp if I go big (RB1090) or go with 7.1 where I'd need it?

Here's what I'd be considering:

RB1080 (or 1090)
    L/R: DefTech BP7001SC

RMB1075
    C: DefTech CLR3000
    Surr. L/R: DefTech ProTower 400
    (other two channels unused, or should I bi-amp with them?)

Also, I rarely listen to anything in stereo, so having a dedicated amp for stereo/music listening doesn't matter so much to me. 90% of my usage is HT.

Sorry for so many questions
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Based on your HT bias you could get a second 1075 and bi-amp everything or bi-amp the mains and centre then power four surrounds in a 7.1 configuration...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Nash,

I would go with the separate two channel amp, if you can go for the RB-1090 then by all means do that, but buyer beware it has the same footprint as the RMB-1095. You can never have enough power in my opinion. If you have a budget then consider the RB-1080, I have been a happy camper with mine. The RMB-1075 should sufficiently power the rears.

You may want to also consider some alternatives such as Bryston (I just made Jimmy happy) for 2 channel amps. Listen for yourself, maybe the dealer will let you take equipment home for a test spin.

Your mileage of course may vary.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• nash
        • Mar 2004

Assuming I had a RMB1095 (200W/ch), what would be the difference in using a 1080 for 2 channels and a 1095 for 3 channels... I'd still be at 200W/ch, but coming from two amps. Assuming I didn't do any biamping, would there be any benefit at all for 5.1 listening?

Comment

• rich0372
          • Jul 2004

I just went though the same thing if you listen to a lot a music I would get a 2 channel for your mains and the 1075 for the rest then if you think you need more power you can get the 1095 or if you only want 5.1 get 2 more 1080s. If you watch movies most of the time I would just get the 1095 Rich

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Well as you stated you rarely listen to music, so I'd stick to a 5-channel amp. Seen as you already own a 1075 that's why I suggested a second one as it would be easier. If you want to sell the 1075 you could then get the 1095 instead.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by aud19
              Well as you stated you rarely listen to music, so I'd stick to a 5-channel amp. Seen as you already own a 1075 that's why I suggested a second one as it would be easier. If you want to sell the 1075 you could then get the 1095 instead.

Jason
              But Jason, what happens if he changes his mind and decides to listen to music :roll: . Would not the 2 channel provide better options, providing him the best of both worlds? Your thoughts are welcome.

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Well I think the two 1075 would still sound pretty darn good for music plus it opens up options for 7.1 on top of the biamp. I especially like the bi-amped F/C/R with the rest of the channels for the 4 surrounds

Besides I'm giving my opinion based on what is, not what might be.....

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Roger that Jason, opinion noted 8) .

Azeke

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                    • May 2004

I suggest getting the RMB-1095 and the RB-1080 and bi-amp the fronts. In this situation I would use 4 channels of the 1095 to power the fronts the the remaining channel for the center, then use the 1080 for the rears. I am a big believer in keeping the bi-amping in the same amplifier, not in different ones. Just my opinion though. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
                    :throwup:

G

Comment

• twitchie
                      • Apr 2003

just for reference

Hi Nash,

How do you feel about the way it sounds now with the 1075? Even though you are getting new speakers, if the efficiency rating is not too different, the big question is

"What do you want to improve?"

Do you normally listen at or near the maximum currently?

I would suggest getting the new speakers in place, wait for them to break in/loosen up physically, then figure out where you want things improved...across the front, just the mains, or all around.

Comment

• wanderso
                        • Sep 2002

Nash,

You might want to keep the 1075 for Centre, Rear and Surrounds (5 inputs) and buy either of the Rotel two channel ampseither the RB1080 or the RB1090.

That takes you to 7.1 anytime you are ready. The RMB1095 has two torodials and higher caps as does the RB1090, so you will benefit from more power to the left and right, but if you mainly watch DVDs most sound that you really want to hear comes from the centre channel.

Catch as catch can!

Wilson

Comment

• nash
                          • Mar 2004

Thanks for the input guys. As far as "what do I want to improve" - I'm not sure yet. My new L/R and C speakers are on order, and I just moved into a new house (where the living room is considerably bigger). I'm just expecting that with the higher quality L/R's and Center, as well as bigger surrounds (since I am moving my current towers to the rear), I'll probably be looking for more power. I'll definitely spend some time listening/tweaking the system (with my current amp) once the new speakers arrive. I'm just thinking ahead and wondering what the best solution for "more power" would be if I decide to go that route. There are a lot of good ideas in these posts, and it sounds like perhaps just swapping out for a 1095 would be the simplest.

My Bello A/V tower supposedly only supports 50lbs on each glass shelf - would I be tempting fate putting a 75lb 1095 (or 1090 for that matter) on one of the shelves?

Thanks for the responses...

Comment

• booktrunk
                            • Aug 2004

YES, you would be tempting fate, if you are putting something worth x amount of money on a shelf that is rated to only hold around 2/3rds of the weight of the item you are putting on it be it a Power Amp or anything.

Steff
                            "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"