X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

RSX-1056 worth it as pre/pro alone?

Hi,

I need the audio setup for our new HT room (have front projector), but have a couple of old but pretty good 2-channel amps rated at 100W/ch with pre-ins that could drive some of the speakers to help out a receiver (I was going to just buy a pre-pro, but they are just not reasonably priced).
    Room size is appr. 16x30x8, though the ceiling is partially slanted (1.5-story house), which makes speaker selection and placement a bit difficult as well (haven't picked those either).
    Features needed are 5.1 (not sure 7.1 would make sense given the room layout and speaker placement possibilities), 3 component inputs with 100MHz+ bandwidth, variable x-over for bass, and ease-of-use for daily operation. Good sound and DD/DTS processing are a given, music (2-channel) is not important (separate tube-based system).
    I have had a Denon 3200 receiver in my family room and it's been fine for 5.1, but the layout of the speakers is greatly compromised and I really have no way of judging it fairly.
    Question is, does it make sense for me to buy a 1056 or am I better off to buy a B-stock (refurb) Denon receiver, augment it with a high-quality 4-input component switcher and use my 2 stereo amps, all at $500 less than the 1056? Is the processing and sound, when used as a pre/pro, that noticably better that you would hear it w/o A/B type comparisons? Would the built-in amp section in the 1056 be good enough to drive a set of B&W, Paradigm, and the like speakers (with a powered sub) where I would not have to use my old stereo amps?
    Finally, I've read some concerns on other sites (audiogon, audioreview) about Rotel's poor customer service (support?), and a purported hissing during quiet music passages on high volume levels. Also, some guy complained about the Rotel having poor mids and vocals, though that could have been that particular setup/speakers/etc.
    Oh, and if forum rules allow, what discounts do authorized dealers typically give, if any?

Thx,
    Frank
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 1056 makes a very nice pre amp and it should be a little cheaper then the 1068 pre amp due to economics of scale...which works out nicely as you also get a tuner and some built in amps that you can use if you like with the receiver version. I haven't tested the 1068/1056 but I did own both the 1055 and 1066 which were last years models and honestly I couldn't hear a difference between the two when they were used as pre amps...though technically on the bench the true pre amp does have slightly lower noise levels.

Finally, I've read some concerns on other sites (audiogon, audioreview) about Rotel's poor customer service (support?),
    I call BS on that one. Rotel has some of the very best service available and we've had many members that have seen just how good they tech support is when needed. Granted there's always one or two vocal guys that haven't got the service they felt they deserved from their dealers but for the most part they're in the extreme minority.

...and a purported hissing during quiet music passages on high volume levels.
    The very early models of the 1056 did have a slightly higher noise level then they should have but that was corrected very early on and it hasn't been an issue for months now.

Also, some guy complained about the Rotel having poor mids and vocals, though that could have been that particular setup/speakers/etc.
    That's the first complaint I've heard about Rotels sound quality and certinatly not what our membership's found with their listening :W

Oh, and if forum rules allow, what discounts do authorized dealers typically give, if any?
    Depending on your dealer most people seem to get around the 10 percent mark...some slightly higher some lower depending on our relationship and just what you're buying etc.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
      • Mar 2004

I have a 1056 and prefer it over Denon for 2ch,for HT I liked the Denon just as well.The 1056 I have does hiss and its my 3rd one(also the only thing thats ever hissed in my system besides the 1068).The 1068 does have much less hiss and sounds a bit better than the 1056,imo.Thats not to say the 1056 sounds bad at all,its really good w/2ch for an avr.For my part although Andrew did try to help me,when I sent Rotel all my info(dates,numbers,problem etc..,that was the last I ever heard from Rotel.I took my unit back to my dealer weeks later after it locked up and he did replace it,no problem,with a new unit just incountry,it also hisses but no other problems.Just to be clear I have had,HKs,Pioneer,several Denons,Onkyo,and a few others in my same set up,the Rotels were the only ones that hissed,and still sounded best.
      There it is,my conflicted opinion,I refuse to tow the line that Rotel is all wonderful and everything is just fantastic like many do.I will say at their price,they are superior for music.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Bob so Rotel didn't reply to you? If that's the case please let me know and i'll see what I can do...that's not supposed to happen...esp on my watch :twisted:

Comment

• fvoelling
          • Jul 2004

Bob,

Thx for the candid feedback! I'm a bit puzzled how a relatively high-end piece like that could even make it out the door from the lab if it were a design flaw, but I know that marketeers, CFOs and CEOs usually rank higher than the techies so anything is possible. But maybe it's just a defect, though apparently not just an isolated one.

I still like the Rotel for its features, looks, convenience (all-in-one vs 4 units if I go separate), this board (which I just found yesterday), and the warranty (that is, if the company follows through), so I'll try to find a unit locally to listen to myself. Can you recommend a couple of particular songs or type of music and associated volume level that would reveal the hiss you have in your unit?

Thx,
          Frank

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Let me just add that Bob, unfortunately for him, seems to be in the minority. There are many more people out there perfectly happy with their non-hissing 1056's than there are with hissing ones. I do believe he's only the second or third person to complain about his 1056 hissing and this is a forum where if you have a complaint about Rotel, you come here. So we would have heard much more of an uproar if there was a major problem. I will add there was also an issue with some 1098's and their centre channels that has also been fixed.

I call BS on the customer service too. I've only received excellent service from Rotel.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Bob Knarly
              • Mar 2004

Thanks again Andrew,I would be glad to provide you with any info I can on my case.You did contact for Rotel for me,they did email me,I sent all asked for info,my hiss issue clearly explained etc..last I ever heard.

Jason,thats the bad thing about being a minority,sometimes they are not heard.Thanks to this forum and members at least thats not the case here.

Frank,I think you got the right idea,I can tell you its a must to audition(and in my case keep) the Rotel.As to songs,media to test for hiss,this is not required.All you do is hook up 5 speakers,set unit to 2 channel mode,turn volume anything short of off.Then go to surrounds/center and listen for hiss,if you don't hear any,BUY.My complaint is,I set at my computer sometimes,listen to 2ch at low volume and the surrounds 3ft from my head hiss.That is my only issue,not a biggy,may not apply to you.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Bob I've sent Rotel an email asking them to look into your situation so expect an email early next week on the matter.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                  • May 2004

One thing to remember when using e-mail is that your message may never have reached them. It has to go through servers and junk first so who knows. It may have been rejected due to containing a virus, etc.. You can never tell. I usually post a follow up phone call if I dont hear back in a couple weeks. It sucks but it can happen.

G.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"