Is there any reason I should *NOT* get an RSP-1066?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drew_W
    • Dec 2003

Is there any reason I should *NOT* get an RSP-1066?

I finally (!) found one in Canada for ~$1350 shipped. This may seem like a strange place to ask such a question, but I just want to be sure it's a sensible decision at this point.

Rest of system:
    Rotel 1075 amp
    Veritas 2.1 mains (soon to be 2.2i me thinks)
    Take 1.2 centre (soon to be 2.0Ci)
    Take 2.2 rears (soon to be...well...I don't know yet...C1s maybe?)
    Denon DVD-2200

Any input/suggestions/comments are much appreciated.
  • alkalay
    • Jun 2004

One reason that pops to my mind

Hey Drew_W

A good reason I can think of is the RSP-1068.

The RSP-1068 gives a better system management and sound control and has features similar to Rotel's current flagship, the RSP-1098.
    From users reviews I've read it sounds better than the 1066.
    The 1068 costs more of-course but as I see it it's a long time investments.
    You may go to rotel.com and download the 1066 and 1068 manuals and check what's in the 1068 that the 1066 lacks.

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Drew

I have the 1066 and even if I was very keen to upgrade to a 1068, when it was announced, I have decided to wait another round and go for the next version of the 1098 when ever it will be released.
      Reason - dont think the step up is big enough to warrent the price, but then again I have to sell off the 1066 and take a loss on that one as well.
      Also the 1068 is still missing a vital thing for me - namely two 5.1 inputs for both SACD and DVD-A or a digital version of the same.

IMHO the 1066 sounds more than decent, if you provide it with the best working conditions - ie. good interconnects, upgraded power cables and take the time to do a good setup.
      For me it all comes down to what I can get for a certain amount of money. For the same money I have to spend on getting the 1068, I can upgrade my one of my sources with a bigger sonic impact, so why spend USD 2500 to get a 10% improvement when the same money on a new CD or DVD player will give me 40% improvement..

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

Just my 2c… I have to agree that the 1068 is just too small an upgrade (for the money) in reality to be concerned about the differences between 1066/1068 - from what I have gathered, general consensus is that the following version of the 109x series pre/pro would only really be worth upgrading too (or if budget constraints, getting a cheaper new, or second hand 1098 when the newer 109x version comes out – that is a wiser investment IMO) :roll:
        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Depending on system needs,I see no reason not to buy it.Personally I love the 1066.it's a well balanced preamp.And for the Money,can't go wrong there.
          :T

Comment

• Jason Brown
            • Jan 2004

Drew,
            What is the cost of the 1068 in Canada?

I demoed a 1066 before the 1068 came out but decided to order the 1068 instead to stay ahead of the game feature-wise for a bit longer. With the delay of the 1068, I got impatient and took home a 1098 which was in stock instead.

Long story short, the sound of the 1098 smokes the 1066. I was amazed at the difference in detail between the two. By all accounts the 1068 is supposed to sound a lot, if not just like the 1098. By that alone, I personally would spend a few hundred more on the 1068.

Comment

• Drew_W
              • Dec 2003

Retail on the 1068 here is ~$2300CND + 15% tax. After bargaining even, we're talking about a $1000 differential.

Of course, I'd *ADORE* a 1098, but that's miles out of my league for now.

And the $1000 difference between the 1066 and 1068 is more than halfway to upgrading my L/C/R speakers, as indicated in my original post, so I think I'll get this 1066. It has the upgraded component video, but not the BM fix...I might be able to do that one myself...

I have a Denon DVD-2900S backordered at ecost too...if all goes according to plan, I'll have a nice system...until I decide to upgrade again!

Comment

• Mark_C.
                • Jan 2003

Stick with the 1066. That way, when you get the upgrade bug in three years, there will certainly be an even slicker Rotel pre/pro model well worth the cost of the upgrade. There are many happy 1066 owners out there. It's my opinion that the more $ you put into speakers, the better. Electronics come second.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

I'd say the 1066 is a nice enough unit and you seem to have resolved what your expectations are from it.

$1000 difference is significant....

Enjoy! :T
                  Bing

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"