X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Rotel Rsp 1066 / 1068 Vs Marantz 8200

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me their experience with a Marantz Sr8200 receiver acting as a processor only, compared to the Rotel 1066 or 1068 processors.

I use a Sony TAN9000ES 5 channel amplifier and have no use for the amplifiers in the Marantz receiver. I am not unhappy with the Marantz as a processor but am curious to know if there would be any improvement with either of the Rotel units over the Marantz. (probably a silly question for a Rotel Forum but from what I have read you guys out there are very knowledgeable and honest in your appraisals).

Keep in mind the Marantz Sr8200 receiver when new cost $3990 Vs $2399 for the Rotel 1068 (Australian dollars). (I'm not sure of the price for the 1066)

I listen to both 2 channel music and Home Theatre.

Thanks guys.
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Ok, I'm not getting anything on this question so -

- Is there anyone out there that was using any receiver (around $4000 mark) as a pre/processor and then went to a Rotel pre/processor, particularly the 1066 or the 1068? Do the Rotels do a better job?

Does less circuitry,( eg no tuner and no multiple amps in the Rotel pre/pro)
    equate to better sound even though the rotel units are about half the price of my receiver?

Owners of even higher priced receivers may be able to shed some light on this question.

Thanks again for any replies. Any references to articles etc would also be helpful.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I used to own a Yamaha RX-V1 which retailed for around $4500 Canadian if memory serves. My 1066/1075 combo outperforms it, especially for music and the 1068 is supposed to be even better
      Jason

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Ok, thanks for the reply.

So was the Rxv1 being used as a pre/pro at any stage with a multichannel amp or was it used as a straight out receiver?

I could imagine the Rotel seperates being better than the Yamaha Rxv1 on its own, but I wonder just how good the preamp section of the Yamaha would have performed with a multichannel amp compared to the Rotel seperates?

Audioholics review of the Yamaha Rxv 2500 ($3000 Australian recommended price) reckon the Yamaha would make and excellent pre/pro.

That being said I would imagine the Rxv1 would do a great job as a pre/pro also but you being the owner may be able to tell me?

Thanks Peter

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Never used it as just a pre/pro
          Jason

Comment

• wywong
            • Jan 2005

I have used a Denon 3803 reciever as a pre/pro with the RMB1075. Then I upgrade to the RSP 1068. The difference is day and night especially in the area of midrange clarity, distortion, surround effects and soundstage. The RSP1068 mate perfectly with the RMB1075. I did not regret it at all. The Denon 3803 cost US$1200 which I think should be similar to Marantz.

Comment

• JDH
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
              Ok, I'm not getting anything on this question so -

- Is there anyone out there that was using any receiver (around $4000 mark) as a pre/processor and then went to a Rotel pre/processor, particularly the 1066 or the 1068? Do the Rotels do a better job?

Does less circuitry,( eg no tuner and no multiple amps in the Rotel pre/pro)
              equate to better sound even though the rotel units are about half the price of my receiver?

Owners of even higher priced receivers may be able to shed some light on this question.

Thanks again for any replies. Any references to articles etc would also be helpful.

I used a Yamaha RX-V3000 (rrp $3500 AUS) which is in the same price range as the Marantz as a pre/pro matched with Rotel amps, I upgraded it to the Rotel RSP-1066 and the RSP-1066 I found overall better. So I would imagine the RSP-1068 would be slightly better again. Either way I think you would be happy with either option, however if the cost isn't significant then go the dedicated pre/pro.
              Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• johnvb
                • Dec 2004

I have the 1055 receiver, which is said to be similar to the 1066 preamp. I use the L/C/R line level outputs to separate amps; the surrounds are powered by the Rotel.

Some of the 1055/1066 were plagued with "popping noises", whenever a digital signal locked/unlocked in the processor. The firmware upgrade helped, but did not eliminate it.

My unit has the above problem, the factory stated that it's was due to the power amps I use (Aragon and Marantz). I found that I could reduce it to almost an inaudible click, by inserting another component in the chain between Rotel and amps. I installed EQ units there to balance out the timbre of my L/C/R, so I'm fine with this setup.

If you are considering buying a used 1066, audition it with some digital equipment (play a CD and repeatedly hit "play-pause" to check for the pop problem.

Personally, I think it is DC offset produced from poor manufacturing/defects. but I haven't tried to measure it at the speakers.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"