X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr15
    • Jun 2004

Need your opinions

Hi. I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask those of you with Rotel experience for your opinions. I apologize in advance for the length of my post.

I currently have a marantz sr7000 and am looking to upgrade my speakers and ht equipment. I want 5.1 in my den and to pass multiroom signal to the adjacent living room. I really don't have room for 7.1 surrounds in the den. BTW the den is about 22x15ft. I'm probably going to purchase either paradigm studios (bookshelf 40's) package or the dynaudio audiescence 52se package. The dynaudio are 4ohm speakers. Also, I would be listening to about 70%ht and 30%music.

I have read alot about Rotel and Outlaw audio and am considering both. My money limit is about $2400 for receiver or pre-pro/amp and a new dvd-dvd audio player. As for Rotel I would be looking at either the 1056 (list $1300) or the 1067 (list $1999). Unfortunately, I really cannot affort Rotel separates at this time. As for Outlaw, I could get the 950 pre/pro and the 7100 amp (7 x 100w) .. they list at $1600 combined.

If I were to get the 1056 or the Outlaw equipment I would have enough money left over to also buy either the rotel rdv 1050 or alternatively a universal player like the denon 2200. If I went for the 1067, I would have to postpone getting a dvd-audio player.

So.....
    What do you guys think about the pairing of the above speakers and the ht equipement choices (both in terms of power handling and sound compatibility)? Is the 1056 powerfull enough?

Do you think the rotel 1056 or outlaw separates would represent a significant upgrade from my marantz sr7000 in terms of sound quality and processing?

Do I need the increased power of the 1067? Or would I be better off being able to get a dvd-audio player with the less expensive 1056 or outlaw separates.

Lastly, how do the Rdv-1050 and denon universal player compare?

... Again, I'm sorry about the length of this post :roll: . I do appreciate your help.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Craig :later:

To start yes, IMO, you will notice an improvement in sound quality over your Marantz.

Based on budget constraints and that you want sound in a second zone, I'd go with the 1056 and the RB-1070 2-channel amp. Use it for your mains (which will improve stereo music performance and to a lesser extent movies as well) and then use the 1056's redirect feature to power the second zone.

I don't want to say don't get the studio 40's for the rear, do it if you can, but the 20's would be more than adequate and would allow you to spread that money towards the other speakers or the sub or to one of the better DVD players or that extra 2-channel amp....

As for the DVD players, IMO, I'd probably get the Denon. It gives you SACD and I believe for less money. The Rotel would likely offer better CD playback and but no SACD and it costs more. Besides you could buy an upsampling DAC down the line that would trounce on both of them for CD playback. For video they're likley very close. IMO you don't get a very noticeable improvement in video until you jump up to the BIG money players.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

If you want to save $$ for the important gear, don't buy either the RDV 1050 or the Denon but get a Samsung HD841 universal DVD player. I just bought one last weekend and I feel it is good enough to hold it's own against a Denon 2200 or even a 2900. The SACD audio and the digital audio are outrageously good. The PQ over a DVI connection is super. The best part is that it is it can be bought for only $200. This gives you more options for your main gear.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
        Welcome Craig :later:
        as well) and then use the 1056's redirect feature to power the second zone.
        Jason
        Unless it's changed from the 1055, the redirect feature only redirects center rear info to the two front amps. So no way for a zone 2 signal to go out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• cmr15
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Unless it's changed from the 1055, the redirect feature only redirects center rear info to the two front amps. So no way for a zone 2 signal to go out.

Kevin D.
          Kevin, the 1055/56 can do multi room though, can't they. If they can, I guess that I could use my marantz as an initial amp for the second room. I am correct? Can I use the 1056 to seen source info from room 1 to room 2?

thanks

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

I'm a believer in "speakers first"...

I'm as big a fan of Rotel as anybody here, but... that Marantz SR7000 you have is one of the best-sounding and most-reliable AV receivers ever built... I suggest using that as a pre/pro... get a serious 5-ch amp, like the RMB-1075 (or a 1095)... move up to a better-performing Denon DVD-2900 or Yamaha DVD-S2300 universal player @ around $800... and use the savings to get the speakers you really want!

Then in a year or two, move up to a Rotel pre/pro.

Meanwhile, the Rotel amp will give that Marantz a new lease on life... the 1075 should be plenty... the 1095 might be the last power amp you ever buy.

Otherwise, audition many speakers...
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by cmr15
              Kevin, the 1055/56 can do multi room though, can't they. If they can, I guess that I could use my marantz as an initial amp for the second room. I am correct? Can I use the 1056 to seen source info from room 1 to room 2?

thanks
              Yup. That's no problem. Whatever you want on zone 2 needs to have a set of analog RCA's connected though. No zone 2 from digital inputs. Marantz would be fine (overkill) for the zone 2 ..

Kevin D.

Comment

• cmr15
                • Jun 2004

Gd.....

That's a very interesting idea, to use my Marantz as a pre/pro with a Rotel power amp. Then i could then really have a great combination amp AND pre/pro probably within the next two years (when I can afford to buy a real pre/pro) :T .

Unfortunately, that does not give me power for the second zone. Although I guess I could buy a 2 channel amp for the second zone when I have the funds. Probably the Rotel 1070.

BTW, what speakers do you guys like in the range of $2000-3000 for a 5.1 set up? That's exluding the price of a sub. I'll probable go for the Hsu Vtf-3 for the sub. It seems to get great reviews and have the sound of $1000+ subs for much less.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Kevin, from the online manual:

Redirect Feature
                  The RSX-1056 has a “redirect” feature that allows you to use the front left and front right amplifier channels to power center back or Zone 2 speakers. For example, you might use a separate Rotel stereo power amplifier to drive the front speakers and then use the extra amplifier channels in the RSX-1056 to power two center back speakers. If your system does not have center back speakers, you can also redirect the built-in center back channel amplifiers to drive two Zone 2 speakers.
                  So there's a couple options there for zone 2. As for the idea of using the Marantz as a pre/pro. Good idea :T I'm willing to bet you'll still notice an improvement over the Marantz with a pre/pro but the amps are definitely the weakest link and a good place to start.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Sounds like a good idea. For the speakers post a thread in the HT area and let the forum at large make some suggestions.

Comment

• cmr15
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                      Sounds like a good idea. For the speakers post a thread in the HT area and let the forum at large make some suggestions.

I agree. Decisions, decisions...

I think that either getting the 1075 and using my marantz as pre/pro or altenatively getting the 1056 and then buying a nice rotel 2-channel amp to power my fronts (while redirecting the non-used 75 w channels to zone 2 from the 1056) will work well for me.

Thanks alot for your all your help.

... As for speakers, you're correct Andrew, I will post to the other forum areas as suggested.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"