Rotel RMB-1075 or Outlaw 755 amplifier - which?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewBuyer
    • Feb 2005

Rotel RMB-1075 or Outlaw 755 amplifier - which?

I have a new RSX-1056 receiver that we use 50-50 for movies/music, and a 5.1 speaker setup having these specs:

- 2 X Kef Coda 8, 6-ohm nominal, 10 to 100W, Sensitivity 2.83v @ 1m 91dB, Frequency Range +/* 3dB 45Hz - 20kHz.

- 2 X SRS Labs Klayman Signature Series Flat Panels, 4-ohm, up to 100W long term (150W short term), Sensitivity 91 dB @ 1 watt/ 1 meter, Frequency Response 80Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB.

- 1 X SRS Labs Center Speaker, 4-ohm, up to 80W long term, Sensitivity 90dB / W / m, Frequency Response 100Hz – 20,000Hz / ± 3 dB.

- 1 X Denon powered subwoofer model DSW-40 (8" woofer, downfiring, 37lb).

I realize that this speaker setup looks kinda strange with the brand mixing and such, but the Kefs and Klaymans really do complement each other with their respective sound signatures.

I'm worried that my speaker setup with its 4-ohm and 6-ohm elements is potentially straining the RSX-1056, and was considering adding a 5-channel amp. It would be either the Rotel RMB-1075 or the Outlaw Audio 755. This would also give us more power/headroom if we change out any of the speaker pairs in the future.

If it were you, would you add one of these amps to the system? If so, which one would you choose and why please?

Thanks in advance to all that reply...

• soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Hands down the 1075. Apparently you like the way Rotel sounds, IMO there is not a better, more reliable, better looking, 5 channel amp for 1k anywhere. Sound per pound this thing is unmatched @ its price point. This also allows lots of flexibility in configuration, and makes a great support amp if you ever changed to really hungry front speaks and opted for a bigger 2 channel down the road. It's a very reasonably price addition to any system which does not become out grown anytime soon. That's why I did, and would again......

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Before I bought my RMB-1075 I was also considering the Outlaw 755. I found with my 5 monitors that have a 89dB sensitivity, 120W was plenty powerful in my 18'x11' room (and similar sized dealer rooms). If you have a large room or tower speakers, I might consider a used RMB-1095 or the Outlaw 755. I never did get the chance to hear the sonic differences of the 755 though, so I can't comment on its sound. People say its clear and brutal though, and judging by Outlaws Model 950 pre/pro (which I own), I'm sure the quality is good. It still has a corny logo and power button though... :B

Oh, I also considered Outlaws 7x100W amp, but it was 2 more channels than I needed, and 20W less per channel. Also expect a dealer discount of atleast 10% on the 1075 which makes it even more of a bargain.
      ~Nick

Comment

• NewBuyer
        • Feb 2005

So is it true then, that at normal listening levels, there would be no audible differences between the RMB-1075 and the Outlaw 755? Or even the RMB-1095?

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

This is a great question for one of this Forums tech whizzes, but I'll try to answer it using my room as an example. I used some simple equations in a book I have to figure this out. Five monitors (91dB sensitivity) averaging 7' from my sweet spot in my 1500ft^3 room with the 120Wx5 Rotel RMB-1075 will produce roughly 116dB before crapping out. Thats more than enough sound pressure for me, considering I live in an apartment, and reference level rock concerts are limited by law to 120dB. (Note, my sub thats being delivered has nowhere near this output capability, which is good because I don't want to have my landlord knocking on my door).

As your room volume increases, speaker sensitivity decreases, number of speakers decreases, or distance from those speakers increase, your power needs increase (think I got that right). Remember that some speakers can only take so much power before they hit a ceiling and crap out.

All in all, I can listen at fairly high SPL's before I get distortion and have to turn it down. The 1075 has enough juice so that sometimes I don't realize I'm listening to it all that loud until I walk out of the room and say "oops". Jumping from 120W to 200W will give you about 2.5dB increase in headroom for each speaker.

I hope a techie steps in and saves/corrects me though... :B
          ~Nick

Comment

• NewBuyer
            • Feb 2005

My wife and I are actually now considering making an investment into the RMB-1095, instead of the RMB-1075. But it is SO much more expensive! We do not turn up the music or movies so loud that it "rocks the house", instead we usually listen at levels slightly louder than background music, not so loud as to sound like party night.

So we would only want to pay the extra for the RMB-1095, IF the difference would be audible at the "normal" listening level described above.

What do Club Rotel members recommend please? We want this to be our LAST amp, but we don't want to pay twice as much as the RMB-1075 and never even notice any difference at all at the levels we listen at...

???

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

For 5ch audio in normal sized rooms with 89dB+ sensitivity speakers at 75-80dB regular listening levels the 1075 is damn tough to beat. I moaned and groaned over this and the Outlaw 755 for 2 or 3 months before settling on the 1075. Its more than adequate for my needs, and at $999MSRP one of the best deals around. I got 20% off on mine too. You should get atleast 10%.

EDIT: Check out my thread which goes through my decision process and comments from others on Rotel vs Outlaw.
              ~Nick

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

If it is sound @ lower listening levels (as I prefer) you may want to steer you're shopping energy towards some Klipsch speakers. You can rock the block with them, but you and the misses can also set and get lost in the music @ 45 - 50 db with. Insanely efficiant speakers, yet can lift the roof off of the house with some volume. Not trying to add confusion to the descisions, just get you where you want to be in the straightest line.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Given the speakers you presently own and the volumes you listen at the 1075 is more then enough amp. If you see youself buying less efficient speakers or listening at a higher volume the 1095 might make sense...even then I might suggest going with the 1075 now and if you do ever want more power add a 1080 for the fronts.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

I don't think the question here really has been fully answered.

the questions seems to be more about sound quality instead of volume quanitity.

I for one would love to read about a shootout between the 1075 and 1095. To see if the extra money is worth spending on the 1095. I am in that boat and I need to make a decesion this week so I can buy my new seperates(rsp1068 and a 5 channel amp )

Lets here it guys,

Dan

Comment

• Nick M
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

I A/B'd the 1075/1095 and couldn't tell any difference at sane volumes.
                      ~Nick

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"