X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tarheel72
    • May 2011

Rotel 1056 or 1058? Help me out here.

My trusty Harman Kardon AVR635 seems to have given up the ghost. I am looking at these two older model Rotel's as potential replacements but think I might have some issues. I currently run all video direct to the display (BR, Cable, xBox) and use digital audio inputs for the cable and xBox and analog 5.1 inputs for the BR, thereby getting my lossless audio signal.

On the surface the Rotel 1056 would seem to be of the same generation, and I could use the same connections. However, as you know, with analog inputs you have to bump the sub 10db. This is easy in the AVR-635 as each input has its own speaker level adjustments. But I have read that if you use the analog inputs on the 1056 you do not have the option to adjust the speaker levels, let alone save the settings. If that is correct I would be forced to make adjustments in the BR (a Sony 1000ES) and lower all of the other speakers 10db, thereby making the volume levels out of whack with the other components. Do I undertand this correctly?

As for the Rotel 1058, I think the analog inputs have the same limitations as the 1056. So my option there would be to use HDMI to send LCPM from the BR to the Rotel and then pull the audio off the HDMI. I could send the video from the Rotel to the display via HDMI out and use the Rotel pass through setting. Then the video is received on the same input that I am using on my display now.

Have I got this right? I don't really care if I don't have HDMI connections on the receiver but I think I will not be able to use the Rotel 1056 given its lack of sub level control. Is there some other vintage 2008-2009 receiver that you would care to recommend? Money is tight right now and I am trying to get a high end receiver a few years past its prime for a bargain, including refurbished or display models. I have looked at NAD, Arcam, Outlaw, Rotel, and Integra among others. I prefer not to have the main stream brands, like Pioneer, Sony, Onyko, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz. I like the looks of the Rotel, so is there any reason I should walk away? By the way, it will be paired with Def Tech speakers: Pro 200 fronts, Pro 100 rears and a C2 center. I have a 12" Phase Technology powered sub. The system is almost always used for video, either movies or Verison Fios. Thanks
  • paolo137
    • Apr 2011

Hi there.
    Regarding the multi-ch analog connection, I'm afraid you're right. There's no control on the level of the single channels. However, on my 1057 there's a function that "blends" the multi-ch inputs all together, and then extracts the lower frequencies to feed the sub. Don't know if that would help, though.

Regarding the hdmi, I can tell you for sure that in my 1057 the two inputs are VIDEO only: there's no way to get an audio signal from hdmi; besides, the standard is the old 1.1.
    Therefore, you can not get lpcm via hdmi: you still need the coaxial/toslink connection (and you loose the 7.1 lossless codecs, of course: TrueHD and so on).
    I believe it would be the same for the 1056-1058 you mention.

Only thing I can add is that I know a guy who has a OPPO BDP connected via analog to a RSX 1057, and he's very pleased with the ensemble. He has set the volume output of the Oppo to MAX, and the speakers FR-FL-CENTER to LARGE.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Tarheel72
      • May 2011

Thanks for your reply Paolo137. Since my posting I copied and read the RSX 1058 owner’s manual and it seems to say that there is some sub level control when using the multichannel analog inputs. Also on the Rotel website it says you can get audio from the HDMI on the 1058. Here is what it says on the Rotel website about lossless audio:

How do I get the benefits of Dolby True HD and DTS- HD?

• RSP-1068, RSP-1098, RSX-1057, RSX-1067: To decode Dolby True HD and DTS-HD you will need to connect the multi-channel analog outputs from your Blu-Ray player to the multi-channel inputs on your Rotel product. This will utilize the internal decoding capabilities of your player allowing you the audible benefits of the lossless codecs. This requires purchasing a Blu-Ray player that provides onboard HD audio decoding and provides multichannel analog outputs.
      • RSP-1069, RSX-1058: In addition to the multi channel analog connection method mentioned above, you may also use the HDMI audio input to get high definition audio from your Blu-Ray player. Many Blu-Ray players offer onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD and can stream the decoded high definition audio signal as a multichannel linear PCM (LPCM) signal via the HDMI output. The Rotel processor can then decode and process the high definition audio from this LPCM audio signal. For more detailed information on this method, please refer to our “HDMI: What You Need to Know” article under the section “Audio Formats and HDMI 1.3”.

Can the Rotel RSX-1058 and RSP-1069 support high resolution audio from Blu-ray discs?

Rotel's technical support department has received numerous questions about decoding the high definition audio formats, i.e. Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD, that are available on some Blu-ray discs . (Not all Blu-ray discs feature Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD. It is up to the director to decide which format will be used. Some discs have both formats, but some have only one or the other. In addition, some HD players do not decode both formats.)

There seems to be plenty of misunderstanding about Rotel's ability to handle these new audio codecs due to the employment of HDMI 1.1 chipsets in our RSX-1058 surround receiver and RSP-1069 pre/processor. It is important to note that both Dolby and DTS recommend that the HD audio decoding be done in the HD disc player, which also provides access to other options such as additional Internet-streamed content for the movie being played. Once decoded by the player, the audio signal is output via multi-channel LPCM to HDMI input provided on the RSX-1058 and RSP-1069. Not all players support internal decoding, so you should confirm this on your particular unit.

You should also know that a great many Blu-ray discs do not use either of these new codecs, offering instead a completely uncompressed LCPM as the high resolution option, which is of course accepted by our these units.

This is from the handbook for the 1058. After reading this do you think there is sub level control for analog inputs? This is on page 42 under Subwoofer Setup:

The SUBWOOFER SETUP menu allows selection of the master subwoofer crossover frequency and independent adjustment of subwoofer level for each surround mode.

It list each surround mode (Dolby Digital, Dolby PLIIx, DTS, Stereo, DSP, and Multi Input) and says you can adjust the subwoofer level for each one using the +/- buttons in a range of adjustments from -9dB to MAX, or +10 dB. It goes on to say that you use these subwoofer level settings to adjust the relative bass output of various surround modes. In the manual they refer to the analog inputs as "multi inputs" so I take it to mean that this is a way to increase sub level when using analog multichannel inputs. They do discuss the option that you refer to as "blending" and also mention that the multi inputs bypass all digital processing and are sent directly to the volume controls and outputs. I don't think sub levels would be considered as digital processing. Perhaps this function was not available on the 1056 or 1057. I did not read their owner's manuals.

Comment

• paolo137
        • Apr 2011

Good news on both fronts, at least for the 1058.

As for the lossless audio via HDMI, you should have no problem, at least in lpcm.

As for the subwoofer volume management, after yout hint, I have found the very same info on my manual for the 1057. Since I do not use the multi input, the only adjustment I've made from the subw setup menu is the master xover frequency. I had not noticed you could trim its volume!
        (I think my friend with the Oppo didn't notice, either)

Thanks a lot for your research!
        BTW: I would like to suggest you to look also for a 2-channel power amp.
        Many people find that having separate amplification for the front speakers improves the sound, but the main reason for that is that, thanks to the re-direct function of the Rotel, you can use the front l/r speaker connections to feed one or two center-back speakers. This, coupled with the XS mode (eXtended surround), will allow you to benefit from a 6/7.1 system even with dolbyD or DTS. I love that feature.

Comment

• James63
          • Dec 2006

Tarheel72,

The information you have about the multi channel inputs on the RSX-1056 is wrong. I have the unit hooked up through the multi channel inputs and have full control of the trim level. It can also be set and saved. The settings must be set on the TV display in order for them to be saved (not on the built in display).

The RSX-1056 will work the way you need it to. They unit also has lots of bass management and you can set a different cross over point for each pair of speaker.

What you lose is the ability to save adjusted bass levels for different codecs. Normally you can set different bass levels for DTS, Dolby digital, etc all at different saved level. Off course when the Blu Ray play is decoding the sound you lose this ability. You can save one trim level setting for all the speakers.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"