Any reason to switch from a Marantz SR7000 to a SR7400?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Any reason to switch from a Marantz SR7000 to a SR7400?

Hello everyone.

I just bought a Marantz SR7000 from ebay to power my B&W 601s (upgraded from an old Onkyo TX-DS575x). I wanted to get a Rotel RSX-1056, but money changed, so I had to go with something under $700. I listened to a Marantz SR7000 with my speakers and found them to sound really close to the Rotel I wanted. $1300 vs $300... so I went with the Marantz SR7000.

Absolutely happy with the sound, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the newer SR7400 because of the following reasons:

7.1 Surround & Heat - I only have fronts and center right now, and I don't intend on going 7.1 surround. But I also here that these 7.1 receivers from Marantz heat up quite a bit. My audio rack is enclosed with glass, so I'm thinking this will cause a problem. Comments?

192/24 vs 96/24 - I don't have a SACD or DVD-A player, so does it even matter to me? I do want movies in DTS, but does that apply? I do plan on buying a Pioneer Elite DV-45A (which does do SACD and DVD-A, but that won't happen for another year), but for now, should I be concern with 192/24?

Bass Management / Frequency Crossover - This is the one thing that I definitely don't like about the SR7000. Right now, my whole frequency range is being handled by my B&W 601s. That's fine, but I'm getting my sub this March (birthday) and the SR7000 only has a crossover of 100Hz. I don't want to have my 601s only handling from 100Hz up. I would prefer to have it down in a lower range like 70-80Hz. The newer SR7400 has the option for a 80Hz crossover frequency, so that sounds like something I'd want with a sub. For those with the Marantz receiver before the SR7400, any way around this (.. aside from wiring to the sub and then out to the speakers)?

Thank you in advance for all the responses.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Jeff Kowerchuk
    • Sep 2000

Your decision to upgrade or not hinges upon how you use your system. I am a long-time Marantz SR8000 owner, and quite a few of my friends have 7000's based on my advice. This series of receivers represented a real high point for Marantz.

If you use your system to listen to music quite a bit, I'd stick with the 7000, as it is a much more musical product. If, however, your system is used more for HT purposes, the newer Marantz receivers definitely have more dynamic drive than their predecessors.

Now, specific responses to your questions. A disclaimer: I work for a Marantz dealer so I have specific knowledge of the products, particularly the 7400 which has made it into many of our custom installs over the past year.

1. Re: heat. This does not seem to be a greater issue with the 7400 than any other HT receiver. I would consider its heat output to be on par with industry standard. I think I heard somewhere that there was a heat issue, but we have not come across it. It does run warmer than your 7000, given that it has more active amps. Be sure to provide 2" clearance on the top of the unit, and do not place it in a completely enclosed environment. Make sure there is some venting.

2. 192/24 is irrelevant when considering DVD-A or SACD. With either of these formats, you will be feeding an analog signal from the player to the 6.1 direct inputs on the back of the receiver. The D/A converter in the receiver is not playing any role in this hookup. So, for music, the 7000 is more than capable of dealing with these new formats.

3. Re: bass management. Yes, this is a downside to the 7000. My way around it: set your front speakers to large, and run analog cables from the Front L/R preouts on the Marant to the input on the sub and set the sub's crossover appropriately. This results in the ultimate setup: direct connection from receiver to speakers and direct connection to subwoofer with precise crossover control. Downside: you need a line-level switcher to switch between the L/R and Sub Out connections when switching from music to HT and vice versa. That caveat aside, the resulting sound was wonderful, with a seamless sub integration.

Hope that helps!

Jeff.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Vey helpful information there Jeff. I appreciate the support. I didn't think about idea for the sub. I guess that would work. I don't suppose you know of any way or anyone who knows how to hack the computer and change the crossover frequencies themselves, do you?

I did buy this unit mainly for music. Home theater is nice, but it's just "FUN" to me. I don't listen to movies for the "enchanting" feeling that particular CDs have on me. So just for music. And because of that, the crossover is very important to me.

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
        • Sep 2000

Then definitely keep the 7000 and use the crossover as I suggested - your music will sound fantastic. The crossover setting has never been 'hacked' and thus stays at 100Hz.

Jeff.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Thanks.

Comment

• brendon
            • Aug 2004

Question for Jeff

Hi Jeff ,
            have you seen the new Sr5500 or 7500 yet?
            I am looking at buying a sr5500 in the near future but saw some runout stock on 7300 and 7400 for
            about the same price (a hundred or so more Aussie $ for the 7400) and I am thinking that for a basic HT/ music setup an older 7 series will still be better than a new 5 series(it would appear no sr6500 released at this time).
            Any input would be appreciated.
            Thanks Brendon

Comment

• Jeff Kowerchuk
              • Sep 2000

Brendon;

Yes, I have heard both the 5500 and the 7500. Your assumption is correct - a 7400 definitely sounds better than a 5500. Don't go older though - stick with x400 series and up.

The 6500 will never be released - that model has been deleted. The range now goes straight to the 7500 from the 5500.

Jeff.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

So I have a question for you Jeff. True that for SACD or DVD-A one would use the analog connection. I didn't think about that. But that leads me to wonder, what's the point of 192/24 on a receiver?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"