X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicente
    • May 2004

RDV-1060 for reading DVD-R/-RW

I want to get a DVD player that matches my silver RSX-1056, so my decision was to buy the RDV-1060 (very good report in the spanish "Alta Fidelidad" Hi-Fi magazine) but I got freezed when my local dealer told me that I could not read my huge collection of recorded DVD´s.

I'm using now a Harman Kardon DVD-506 Limited Edition (fairly good) that reads everything round, and I have almost 30% of my dvd collection recorded at home in -R and -RW media.

If anyone has tried this kind of stuff with the 1060 , will you please share your experiences.?

The dealer recomendation is buying the RDV-1050 that can read also this media and is DVD-A too, but they told me this last model is inferior both in sound and video quality to the 1060. Is this true?. I use it 50% for CD´s and 50% for DVD´s and from these last ones most of them are live musical performances (everything but classical).

Can anyone that has tried both models tell me if the dealer statement is true? How much good is the 1060 over the 1050?

Last question. I heard that all Rotel DVD players in Europe are codefree. ¿is that right?. Please help me... Thanks

Regards

Vicente
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

On the last one I can answer you, all players are codefree.....

The 1050 can read cd-r/rw as well as DVD-R and DVD-RW
    the 1060 can read cd-r/rw as well, but dvd-r is not stated.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• miagi
      • May 2004

I have the same problem. - 3 day´s ago i went to my local dealer and did a comparison between the Rotel RDV1050 and the new Arcam DV79.
      I would have expected the Arcam to outperform the Rotel quite a bit (Since it´s more than 2x the price) but i was surprised to hear, that there was only a slight difference.

We used the Rotel 1098 (Pre) + 1095 (amp) & focused primarely on the cd performence.

Using the digital output on them both gave no actual difference between the two....we couldn´t tell them apart in a blind test.

Using analog gave a slight advantage to the Arcam...nothing much, but it sounded a bit more detailed and airy in the higher frq´s than the rotel.

I have know ordered the Rotel RDV1050.....i came to the conclusion, that the Rotel is a great "value for money" player....and i would rather save som money right now, and then buy a new & better dvd player in aprox. 2 years (blue ray hopefully

(I am using the Denon S10 CD player right now...and might continue doing so....need to wait for the Rotel 1050 to arrive, and make som extensive tests, before i decide to skip the standalone cd player.

Comment

• nvdeynde
        • Jun 2004

I have contacted Rotel before buying the RDV 1060 and according to them it can play DVD-R and DVD+R discs recorder by PC or hifi-component but no DVD+-RW discs.

I don't have a DVD-recorder yet so I haven't been able to try it myself but my dealer was able to play a DVD-R disc recorder with a Pioneer hifi DVD-recorder.

I have had both the RDV 1050 and 1060 on audition, the 1060 is much better especially for CD Quality. Don't waiste your money on the 1050, save a bit more to buy the 1060

Nico

Comment

• Vicente
          • May 2004

Thanks to eelco74, miagi and nvdeynde for your information and advice. This really helps a lot to make the right decision.

About the media supported, at last yesterday I had the opportunity of trying the RDV-1060 DVD player with my PC recorded DVD’s.

My local dealer received a demo unit and I was able to play some DVD –R and also DVD-RW and for our surprise they all worked fine. :T Yes, even the RW that are not supposed to be read. I even tried some that gave me problems in my “eat all” Harman Kardon and they ran without fault. The dealer confirmed also that they are also code free in Spain.

I don’t understand why Rotel states in its owner’s manual that DVD+/-RW discs cannot be read. Any ideas?

Now I’m almost decided to buy the 1060 instead of the 1050 because of sound quality (and they told me also of better picture quality), but I still don’t know why this superior machine doesn’t have the bell and whistles that the 1050 have.

Also if anyone knows the difference in components of both DVD players please post it (Why Rotel doesn’t show this crucial information?)

I’ve been checking both manuals and I found some convenient features in the 1050 that lack the 1060:

- Resume mode for the last 30 discs played.
          - Sampling frequency and bit length check.
          - Video Fine Processor Controls (gamma, brightness, contrast, saturation…)
          - Greater zoom (x64)
          - WMA format discs readability.

Are any of these features feasible to be added later via software upgrading? I specially love the resume mode that I experienced in my old Marantz DV4100 DVD Player. You always can start a DVD that you left unfinished some days ago at the point you were watching it.

Is it a way we can recommend Rotel what to include in future upgradings?

Also I didn’t noticed any special rumble noise when playing the discs, but I will be only able to tell you when I get the money (they are so much expensive in Europe vs. the USA…) to try it at home. I’ll inform you.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"