• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

What is Humming, Hissing & Popping?

Hey All,

What is with all the noises I've been reading that Rotel's can be afflicted with?

I'm looing into a Pre/Pro and Amplifier package. However I would like to know more about all these noises the Rotel Pre/Pros may have and how a firmware may fix it, or if you turn down the volume of the subwoofer...etc

I read where one person had the clicking/popping while switching video channels or sources. I assume that is while using the Component switching?

I also read the Amplifers are humming as well. Are we talking a transformer hum? Or are these folks experiencing the hum problem typically asscociated with a ground loop?
    Bing
  • dbart
    • Jan 2003

"I also read the Amplifers are humming as well. Are we talking a transformer hum? Or are these folks experiencing the hum problem typically asscociated with a ground loop?"

I think people are experiencing both ground loops and noise. The best thing to do is bring home the equipment and demo it at home first to determine if you may have a ground problem.

Also make sure your dealer will refund your purchace if you get a defective unit. This is the better option as opposed to exchanging the unit or having it serviced. This will prevent the manufacturer from selling defective units and stringing the buyer along with canned excuses of defective home wiring, etc, or arguing an exchange/repair with the dealer. :T

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

I only ask for currently my Denon receiver will click as it's switching sound modes and all my amps make a slight humm (transformers) when it totaly quiet in the room. You have to place your ear to the amps or the speakers to here this slightness..

I was just wondering if it was a case of being overly picky :W
      Last edited by Bing Fung; 16 May 2004, 19:59 Sunday.
      Bing

Comment

• dbart
        • Jan 2003

Good equipment hooked up correctly and no external interference from the utility power or ground loops should be silent, no hiss, pop, or hum of any kind. This sort of interference does manafest itself as more power is drawn through the system and will be audible and distort the signal.

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Hmmmm on Hum

Well in my experience the only Hum I have found is Transformer Hum which, as I understand it, is almost impossible to eliminate 100%. If it can I would very much like to know how. The hum also seems more apparent when the units are cold and generally gets down to inaudible levels when the units are warmed up.

Ground loops are always a problem but personally have not found any issue with it. I think insulation with good cables and shielded power cords avoid possible problems and sometimes when problems exist Toslink can fix it.

RB1080
          RMB1075 (only 3 channles used at mom)
          RSP1066
          Boston Micros
          REL Quake
          Arcam Dv88+
          Panasonc 42WD5

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"