X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSamF
    • Mar 2004

Got My 1068 & 1095!!!

I want to thank everybody here for their threads and advice. It was a real help in making my decision in purchasing the 1068 & 1095.

I am running my B&W 804's as fronts and they just sing now. However, I was a bit surprised on my low end not opening up as much as in the showroom. What is crazy is when I stand up from my main listening position (~11 feet back and centered with speakers about 10 feet apart--this can be tweaked but only minimally) I get the bass I want and heard at the showroom. It is just plain fuller. It happens with both bypass 2 channel and my 5.1 discs without the sub on.

This did not occur when I was running my Denon receiver previously. I am assuming since I was underpowering the 804's previously that is why it didn't happen before.

Any thoughts?

Is this just an accoustic thing that can't be helped or do you fine people have any ideas on how to bring the bass sound down to my seating area?
    I am assuming this isn't necessarily due to the Rotel, but I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them.

I have yet to try putting them on blocks but pulling them back and forth from the back wall has minimum impact... when I stand it sounds great-especially if I take one step forward. However, if I walk in between the two speakers, it sounds "boomy" and "muddy".

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Sam
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Check for speaker phase or sub crossover errors

Sam,

Can you check to see if your two speakers happen to be out of phase (i.e Positive and Negative Swapped on one of then either at the amplifer end of the speaker cables or the speakers themselves. What you have sounds quite like that effect - with the sound of one speaker cancelling our the other. Very easy to do, especially with the way the RMB-1095 speaker connectors are laid out.

Another strong possibility is your sub-woofer being out of phase (there is usually a phase button or know ob the back), or having the wrong distance set in the RSP-068 menu - again this will cause bass cancellation / boom in certain locations.

Lastly (and much less likely) is that the crossover settings for the subwofer are wong (either you are not using the sub-woofers LFE or bypasss input or (through advanced set-up) you have a missmatch between the cross-over frequency for the mains and the sub-woofer.

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Or you could also have room/placement issues. Where in the room is the sub located and where is the main listening position located in relation to the room?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• GSamF
        • Mar 2004

I'll double check the connections, but this is happening both with out the sub on, on pure 2 channel, and with the sub on.

I am more concerned with the 2 channel bypass music mode with no sub... most of my critical listening is done here.

I'll also try an a/b setting my speakers on large and small and see if I still get the same effect.

And Jason, my room is pretty irregular, very open like having two rectangles side by side with them slid apart some... (helps to use your hands when imagining---place hands flat on table with thumbs together, then slide right hand forward about 4 inches). So I have a large are in the center of the room with two shoots off on opposite sides. So I have my system against one of the shoots (picture right hand finger tips) and listening area near wrist of right hand. [not sure if this makes any sense at all, hope so]. So it sure could be accoustics, but it is a pretty drastic difference from sitting to standing?!???! :M

Thanks for the replies guys, any other ideas?

Sam
        Last edited by GSamF; 03 May 2004, 04:35 Monday.

Comment

• eelco74
          • Dec 2002

I still have the feeling that your main speakers are out of phase.

Please check that the positive terminal of your amps output is connected tot the red one on your speakers.

Other suggestion is that you use the THX sound test/setup on a DVD for proper phase check . You can find it on probably strarwars DVD and Indiana Jones (for sure).

Good luck..
          Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
          Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
          Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• GSamF
            • Mar 2004

thanks for the responses guys.

I moved my system around and the connections were good with no phase problems. So I I did some major reschuffling and moved them away from the wall and toed them in a bit and voila! much better.

Thanks again for the help, I guess I just have a pretty tricky acoustical room.

Sam

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"