X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Is it a phase?

I am finding that I am caring a little less about movies lately, and more about music. Is it a phase? Is it the natural progression of things to go from one to the other, then back again?

Does this happen to you guys too, or do you find that you always have the same mix of music vs. movies?

I know that I have made the progression several times already. Will I ever cross the line never to return, or is this a phase bound to repeat itself from now on? I don't know!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Music can be listened to over and over. Movies can be watched several times but, usually need some time between veiwings. When you run out of movies to watch and there is nothing new at your rental house that catches your intrest then it is only natural to start listening more to music.
    I have almost the opposite problem. I prefer to listen to music but, am always having directors or cameramen giving me DVDs that "you just have to watch". I liked it better when they used to buy me photo books of
    famous photographers and then would ask me if I could duplicate them. I could flip through those in a couple of minutes, now I have to sit through some boring film like "I am Cuba" shot on infared film and jabbeIring in Russian just to see some camera move.
    Just to make your music listening a little more exciting experiment with some new style that you don't usually listen to. Don't get into some genre rut. I often go to Amazon. Com and will type in a artist that I like and then start looking at the Listmania lists on the side bar. You might start out with something like a favorite jazz musician and end up browsing some thing else entirely that sounds interesting. I have discovered a lot of great music that way. You find someone who has similar tastes and see what else they listen to.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

It's cyclical. Most people I know that enjoy both hobbies have made the switch back-and-forth at least once - in my case a couple of times. In and of itself it's not a bad thing. It keeps things from getting stale.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yeah I go back and forth between watching movies and not watching so many but my music listening habits are fairly constant

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

It seems to me that my music listen is an individual activity. Movie watching is a group activity. So when my family is else where I usually take advantage and listen to music but that doesn’t happen to often.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I listen to music to relax and watch movies for a brief escape from the real world. So with the events of the past year still vivid in my mind, I tend to be escaping more than relaxing.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

For me it isn't phases per se, it's more a matter of when I have time. Usually movies, which require a solid 2+ hour block of time to watch in a darkened room, only get watched on weekends, if we're not busy with other things. Also, we watch more movies in the winter than in the summer, for obvious reasons (a backyard pool is one of 'em).

Music, on the other hand, I tend to listen to while I'm working (at work or at home), or driving. So I spend more time listening to music than watching movies, even though most of the music isn't being listened to on my main system.

I listen to music to relax and watch movies for a brief escape from the real world. So with the events of the past year still vivid in my mind, I tend to be escaping more than relaxing.
              Me too, to a lesser degree. When the events of the world (or my life) are bothering me I put on a good CD. I can't watch movies at work.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
              My HT Site

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

It's natural to go back and forth. It's also a lot easier to fit music in the day. Though, critcal listening is just as hard to find time for as movies.

For me, it's difficult to listen films at the level that I tend to enjoy do to, being polite to my neighbors. So, I tend to go back and forth quite a bit.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"