X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Help on setting up for DVDA

Just bought my first DVDA, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and need to know how to set up the Rotel 1066. Denon 1600 DVD player to output DVDA. Right now, I've placed the disc in the 1600 and sound seems to come out of all speakers after I pushed the Multi Imput button on the Rotel's front panel. The display reads "Optical" though. Aren't DVDA's supposed to be run through the 6 channel analog connects. I've attached the six cables and sound is coming out of all speakers, but I wonder if there is something I have to do with the Rotel or Denon to play via the analog connects. Excuse my ignorance please as I've never used DVDA or SACD before.

Keith
    Keith
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

Multi logo should be lite up on the rotel.

Did you set up your DVDA player to output DVDA and not down mix it or not output put it at all?

Go into the Denons setup menu and look at you settings.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Thanks Jaakan,

The display does read multi and it flashes 96 Mhz across the screen when I play it (as opposed to Dolby Digital), so I guess it probably is playing DVDA. On this first recording of mine, the front channels are supposed to carry the major role, while the rear channels are there for the ambiance of the hall the recording was made in. Sound is being carried to all channels. Not having used DVDA before and with the disc carrying so many different formats, I just wanted to know I was listening to DVDA, as opposed to say Dolby Digital. I guess I was thrown by Optical being on the display.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• bigkid
        • Feb 2003

Hi Danbry,

It sounds like you have it worked out but seems odd that you get 'optical' on your display. As jaakan suggests you might want to check your Denon's settings to see whether you have 6 channel analog selected. Another thing, and I am not sure whether this applies to the Denon, I have the Toshiba SD 9200 and there is a setting which looks for DVD-V which you have to adjust to look for DVD-A on inserting a disc. I was quite frustrated for a weekend trying to find the 192KHz stereo version of Hotel California, could only get a DTS and Dolby Digital menu until I found that setting.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Thanks Bigkid,

Yeah, that's my only hangup right now, that optical shows up on the display. So far, I haven't found anything in the Denon manual that shows how to make it automatically default to the six channel analog when a DVDA is in there, so I guess I'm going to have to read more. Still, it is playing out of the six channels and the display indicates 96 Mhz and DVD with Audio showing up under it. Thanks for your help. Doesn't sound like I'm a genius huh?

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Dre J
            • Aug 2002

Keith,

Go to the setup menu for the Denon 1600 and select the "Others" Tab.

Set the DVD-Video mode to "OFF"

This allows the DVD-Audio portion of the Disk to be played instead of the Compresses DTS/DD layer.

Also make sure you have the Speaker setting set to multi-channel and PCM downconvertion set to "no".

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is recorded in 24-bit resolution, 96kHz five-channel surround sound. So, if you selected stereo and the 24/96 digital output is not is not blocked, the Denon will pass the signal and the Rotel RSP-1066 will decode the stereo 24-bit 96kHz signal.

Hope this helps
            Dre

My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"
            My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Dre J,

Thanks a lot. Had the settings as you recommended. I guess I'm listening to DVDA then. The Rotel does show 96Mhz. I was thinking of testing it for sure via a couple of ways. Setting the Four Seasons to play as Dolby Digital and see if it sounds different and also maybe disconnecting the optical to see if it still plays as it has been. I've just never heard DVDA before, so have little idea as to what to listen to. It does sound really nice right now, but not significantly better than certain redbook CD's through my Arcam CD player. Again, thanks for the help. As always, I feel inadequate sometimes when dealing with this newfound technology stuff. But, I will master it, I'm sure, just as the next wave of technology occurs.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Don't know if this information is important, but when I turn on the Denon display, it reads PPCM 96K 24B 5 channel.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"