X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Rotel Analog vs. Optical w/ Denon 1600

I'm mostly looking for an answer from Andrew (or anyone else for that matter with Rotel gear and a Denon 1600 DVD player) but other opinions etc are welcome

The Denon 1600 only has an optical output (no coax ) for a digital connection. As such I'm wondering what people have preffered with the Denon matched to their 1066's/1055's? Analog or digital for listening to 2-channel (CD's)? Or for that matter how about the 5.1 analog outs for DD/DTS vs the optical to the Rotel's? Would I be able to utilize the Left and Right lines from the analog 5.1 outputs for just 2-channel CD listening? Or do I have to connect seperate 2-channel analog outputs? How does the Denon 1600's optical output stack up in other words?

Thanks for your responses

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Aud, Danbry has the 1066 and the 1600. He'll chime in soon enough.

If you're not using the 5.1 analog out on the 1600, it has a separate stereo analog out for you to use. If you will be using the 5.1 out, then you can get stereo from it and it's not necessary to hook up the stereo out. You can quickly A/B compare the Denon and Rotel yourself. Do both digital and analog connections. Then hit Ext In on the Rotel and you will hear the Denon. Hit Ext In again and you will go back to the Rotel processing from the Denon's digital stream.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Thanks Will. I thought Andrew was the one with the 1600... :? Oh well whoever! :LOL:

I do intend to A/B it myself, when I actually get the gear ops: , just wanted to hear people's opinions... Glad to hear about the 2-channel/5-channel thing though... Come to think of it I think I brought this up in another thread AND I think you answered it already...lol (LONG day at work!)

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Well, actually, Andrew and I have the 1600. Unfortunately, I can't help because I use my Arcam CD player for CD's. I do use the analog connects for my DVD A's though and they do a really nice job for those.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

As such I'm wondering what people have preffered with the Denon matched to their 1066's/1055's? Analog or digital for listening to 2-channel (CD's)? Or for that matter how about the 5.1 analog outs for DD/DTS vs the optical to the Rotel's? Would I be able to utilize the Left and Right lines from the analog 5.1 outputs for just 2-channel CD listening? Or do I have to connect seperate 2-channel analog outputs? How does the Denon 1600's optical output stack up in other words?
          I use my 1600 as both a single disc and DVD player and I prefer the Denon's DAC's to those in both the 1055/1066 and 1098. They're pretty close but when A-Bing them back and forth the Denon's Burr Browns have a slighty more smooth sound then the Rotel's but then it might be my room which is overly dead compared to most.

Comment

• art vandeleigh
            • Oct 2003

so let me get this straight, if you use optical (toslink) you are using the DAC on the DVD/CD player and if you use analog RCA A/V cable you are using the DAC in the pre/pro or AVR? is this correct?

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

Art:

It's the other way around: optical means you're sending everything to the receiver/processor's DACs, while analog means the player's DACs are doing the job.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Right when you use a optical cable (or digital coax) you are sending a digital signal to the pre amp where it will get passed to the Rotel's DAC's to convert the digital signal to an analog signal which then gets sent to the power amps. When you use a set of analog cables the conversion from digital to analog occurs at the player.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Thanks guys

So Andrew you use the analogs for music but what about movies?

P.S. Anybody know what Denon's affinity for optical over coax is all about? I mean 99% of people out there prefer coax but Denon seems to have this grudging acceptance to put coax on only some of it's products. I mean I got an AVR-1803 for my Dad (he has neither the need or $ for Rotel unfortunately) and it has only 1 coax!?! What's that all about? :? Also, Andrew I'd guess one of the reason you might prefer the Analog outs for music might actually be the optical out and maybe not the DAC's at all.....? 8O

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• will1066
                    • Aug 2003

The number and type of digital outs on a machine likely has to do with cost efficiency. Both the 1600 and 1803 are entry-level models.

Comment

• jk@home
                      • Oct 2003

I have been looking around for a secondary DVD player based on the best video quality at a certain price point (like the 1600), seems like many of them output digital with toslink only. I think the main advantage of coaxial is it can be used with longer length cables, but the quality of the cable can also affect playback. An alternative is that there are a few toslink to coaxial converters are available, which also do other things like reduce jitter. I have an old Theta TLC unit that does this.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

So Andrew you use the analogs for music but what about movies?
                        I use the Rotel for decoding DTS and DD etc...I doubt I'd notice much differnece for movies since you're usually distracted by the 92" screen

I'm not sure why Denon dropped the coax output on the 1600 since its based on the Panasonic RP82 which has both :roll: Oh well while I'm sure coax would be a better choice I'm not loosing sleep over the fact its connected with an optical cable.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                          The number and type of digital outs on a machine likely has to do with cost efficiency. Both the 1600 and 1803 are entry-level models.
                          While they're both decidely not hi-end I can't agree that they're entry level. Towards the lower end sure but not entry. There are many players and receivers that are less expensive and of lesser quality (even within Denon's own line-up) and quite a few that have optical and coax outs at those lower price points.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Phrog
                            • Oct 2003

All right guys... how about this one:

I am using a Rotel RCD 951 CD player in combination with my 1066 and 1095. What is the opinion on connecting the CD player? Digital coax or analog. Just wondering if the 951's DAC is better than the 1066's.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

phrog I'd try both but my guess is you'll prefer the CD players DAC's

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

It probably will be the analog's phrog, (hee hee... it rhymes :LOL: ) but atleast you have a digital COAX... lol.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Phrog
                                  • Oct 2003

Thanks guys. Did my own test a few hours ago and determined you were both right. Analog hands down. Much more detailed and great imaging with analog. Using a BEL P1 interconnect.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I would imagine that's what I'll end up using too...

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Sickman
                                      • Aug 2003

Just wanted to update this thread as I have a Denon DVD 1600 on the way and I own a 1055. Is the consensus that people use the 1055's DACs (optical) for movies and the Denon's DACs (analog) for music?

Thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Yes that's correct.

If anyone cares I'll likely be selling my Denon 1600 shortly

Comment

• Sickman
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                          If anyone cares I'll likely be selling my Denon 1600 shortly
                                          to be replaced with a . . . ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Liteon 2001. It can upconvert DVD's to 1080i so we'll see if it lives up to the hype. I'll then have to look at adding a dedicated CD player or an external DAC to the player

Comment

• Sickman
                                              • Aug 2003

You wouldn't use your Rotel's DACs? h:

Comment

• aud19
                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2003

The worst part about all of this is, the 2200, the 1600's replacement, has a coxial out AND plays SACD to boot! :twisted: Damn technology! lol

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Mike Hayes
                                                  • Mar 2003

What types of cables would I use for stereo analog playback verses optical? I am assuming 2 basic interconnects with RCA plugs but am open to suggestions.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Mike yes you'd use a pair of RCA interconnects. Note however that you'll hear differences between the basic cheapies and the better made ones. I'd recomend the CatCables Silvercats if you want some really good ones at a reasonable price

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"