X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

HDMI connected Multi-display environments

I'm not sure how many people run multiple display rooms, but I would gues quite a few run front projection/lcd plasma combinations.

I contemplated my own issues that have been compounded by the addition of a 4rth display. I own run a 46" LCD on my mantle, a 59" plasma up front, and dual projectors, the use of which has probably been narrowed more to one projector, but the other still remains for backup.

I know there is some switching equipment available, but I have also read mixed reviews of some of it. Since my environment is quite casual and cable friendly, ha, I decided to try a rather manual approach to my cabling.

I run 3 hdmi sources, DirecTV, BlueRay, and HD-DVD. The primary sources are of course, DirecTV and BD. These normally stay connected to my plasma. from the source about 6 feet away (6 foot cable, a bad idea), to tight. 12 is a better run length.

Now is where it gets tricky.

I have two 15 meter HDMI cables, granted, a bit overlength, but usable. I purchased two Phillips HDMI cable extenders, these are merely patching connectors, that neither take anything away from the signal, nor add anything to it.

I figured I could get away with one fine. But interestingly, I wound up patching from the main set connections to projector, and from projector to LCD on mantle. The cables are ran in place, and merely a few feet apart. With a few quick disconnects/connects, I am set to watch any of the 3 primary source devices on any of the 3 output devices , all using a single output cable from source.

I saw little if any degredation from source, even in my LCD which would include 2 patch connections and at a distance of about 36 meters of cable! (I could cut this to 30 meters with 2 more 12 foot cables probably. But I'm happy with the 15 meter cable results.

Impressive results for a functionally simple solution to my sourcing issue. I suppose someday maybe an HDMI switching A/V processor would take care of my issues. But it would have to be broadcast quality, and effective. For now, this is fine with my Lexicon MC-12 still operating the audio side.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Considering HDMI is digital, there should be no degradation at all unless the signal/cable/connection is really crap in which case you'll know right away. Switching devices shouldn't degrade the picture or sound either, provided they are just doing a pass-through without any processing in between (maybe an HDCP decrypt/re-encrypt at worst, but the end result should be the same).

Sounds like a simple way to achieve HDMI "switching". Just unplug from one and plug into another. Many HDMI switching A/V processors have two HDMI outputs, which makes running to both a display and a PJ a snap.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

My new receiver has dual HDMI outputs (simultaneous, though, not matrixed). That is one of the main reasons I bought a new AVR (my old one had no HDMI and I was using a 4x2 HDMI matrix switchbox). The other reason is I wanted to move the old one to the living room (no HDMI TV there).

I've discovered, though, that my new receiver is more finicky than my 5 year old switchbox when it comes to dealing with long HDMI cable runs. It could be my switchbox also amplifies the signal whereas the AVR may only switch it (I'd have to dig out my manual for the box). I have two cable runs of over 25 feet--one into the AVR from a PS3 in the next room (does double duty as a game machine in the kids' playroom and BD player for the HT) and one from the AVR to my PJ. I don't know if the fact that I'm now sending audio along with video over first 25 foot run is causing an issue, or if there is simply a handshaking issue between the PS3 and the AVR (quite likely--the issue is that it sometimes doesn't want to lock on to the signal from the PS3).

Anyway, while having 8 in/2 out HDMI on my AVR is a great convenience for a number of reasons, I'm beginning to think my AVR is not necessarily equipped to deal with very long cable runs. Oh well, maybe I'll "need" an Oppo 93 in the future.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"