X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickyboy
    • Jan 2003

has anyone got the rb985mk1 views please

i will in the next week be recieving rb985mk1 5 channel power amp which i want to link to denon 3802, the person i am buying from has purchased the rotel rb 1075 and uses this with a lexicon mc1 processor, i cannot find a pdf manual for rb985mk1 but understand it is 100wX 5 thx and although not as powerfull as mk2 model (110w)
    and has not got uprated power supply and (cooling fins of mk2 and rb1070) i was going to purchase something like rb1070 2 channel or the like the rb985mk1 will cost me (£295) so i will chance this if in the future i want to go the seperate processor route.

can anyone give opinion of rb985mk1 merits etc and if possible link to specs and manual etc thank you all
  • JohnSC
    • Jun 2002

Try this link here. I know it is not the mk1 but it is close.

I have not had any experience with this amp but I am sure you will be pleased. I have the 1075 and 991 amps and am impressed with both of them.

John

Comment

• jerohm
      • Oct 2002

http://www.digitaltheater.com/reviews/system4.html
      http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_4/v2n4h.html
      http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/PowerAmps/Rotel/RotelRB985.shtml

If some of these links don't work, use google and search for 'rb 985'
      The 985 was very conservatively rated, so it may very well be equal to 110w/ch too. It is not as unique looking as it predecessor, but it is a performer. enjoy

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I used to have an RB-985. not sure if it carried the Mach I designation or not. It was a solid amp, warm natured. At 100 watts per channel, not an extremely powerful amp, and it could not effectively drive the 10" woofs of my Infinity Kappa 7.1s. I never knew true bass response with the Kappas until I upgraded to the Proceed HPA-2.

But if your driving 2 way speakers, or any speakers not real bass intensive, it will do a nice job.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• mickyboy
          • Jan 2003

thank you all for replies and info, i will be using rb985 to drive b&W cdm1nts fronts (sens 89-8ohm) lcr60 center, 600s3 rears, the reason seller changed from rb985 to rb1075 was his speakers are (6ohm-86 sens)
          i did see on i think audioreview that someone had (bi-amped) there front pair of speakers using a single (rb985) using front l/r and rearl l/r speaker terminalls of rb985, i was thinking of trying this but have no idea how i would connect everything and if (rb985-3802 or speakers would suffer damage, thank you all

Comment

• Brent
            • Jan 2002

I have a RB985 Mk 1 and have owned it for about 5 years. At the moment it is driving 4 4ohm speakers (PSB Stratus Silvers L&R F and Stratus Mini's L&R rear) and an 8ohm center PSB Stratus C-6. it barely gets warm. I have also used it in the past to Bi-amp my Silvers with no problem but not much benefit either. BTW it will pump 190 watts into 4ohm's.

Comment

• princeoliver
              • Jan 2003

I have a 985Mk II and I biamp my front speakers with it. Provided your speakers are biampable, what you do is get a (good quality) Y connector. Hook this up to the front L and R pre out of your receiver. Run interconnects from the Y to two separate inputs on the 985 and connects the corresponding speaker output to the high and low terminals of your speakers. I find that biamping really improves the sound for 2 ch stereo which I do much more than HT. What you can do is just continue to use the Denon to power the rears. I have a RSX972 to power the rear and my centre is biamp between the 985 and 972. Of course it would be great to have all my channels bi amp with separates but that will have to wait...

Comment

• mickyboy
                • Jan 2003

thanks all my cdms are biwirable currently using dnm sp/cable into cdms connected to hf+lf (links removed) at the amp end the cable is "doubled up" 2into1 and goes to the single l+r (3802) speaker b/posts,
                cables are soldered to 4mm b/plugs so would i have to split cables to biamp
                i was thinking 3802 powering surrounds and center rears 985 powering fronts +center

still a bit confused on (biamping connections ,exactly what goes where y connecter etc) thank you once again

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"