X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Morris Jones
    • Oct 2002

vcr DPL-II weirdness RSX-1065

Most of the time I watch TV from my TiVo or a DVD, but once in a while I dub something to VHS or watch an old source. My player is an older Panasonic S-VHS deck.

The decoded Dolby Pro-Logic audio is usually awful when it originates on the VCR. It's ultra-sensitive to any reverb on the voices, as when the actors are in a reflective room. Frequently the dialog completely vanishes from the center speaker under those conditions.

I can usually compensate a little by cranking the center channel up 5db, and cranking down the surrounds by 5db.

But it's annoying that it behaves so badly from a VHS source, and so nicely for TV or TiVo audio.

Any comments?

Mojo

Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
    Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA
    http://www.whiteoaks.com
    mojo@whiteoaks.com
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If it's the same as my Panny Svhs deck, everytime it loses power it turns on the spatializer setting in the setup menu.. This is kind of a fake surround for two speakers, but it wreaks havoc going through prologic because most everything is out of phase a bit..

Go through the VCR setup and see if it's set to yes..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Morris Jones
      • Oct 2002

That's a good thought, but my deck doesn't have a spatializer mode. I double-checked the setup menu, and the only options are "hi-fi" and "normal". Hmmm ...

Mojo

Morris Jones
      San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
      Morris Jones
      San Rafael, CA
      http://www.whiteoaks.com
      mojo@whiteoaks.com

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"