X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregoriusM
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2000

Positioning equipment in rack

I have a 5 shelf equipment rack (including top surface which I do not use for equipment - so in fact 4 useable shelves).

I virtually never touch the Denon 3300 receiver I have. However, the rest of my components - tape deck, cable receiver, dvd player, 5-cd changer, 2 - VCR's - are obviously used and need to be at a reasonable height.

I will have it set up, due to equipment height, thusly: DVD player on top of CD player; cable receiver on top of one VCR, tape deck on top of 2nd vcr, receiver on its own shelf (it takes up the entire shelf).

I currently have the receiver on the second shelf from the bottom.

Would it hurt the receiver to be on the bottom shelf? The shelf is 2 1/2 inches off of the floor. Is that too dusty a place to put it? I thought it would be less susceptible to dust than the other components that get opened and closed regularly.

Please advise.

Thanks.

... Greg
    Gregor
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't worry about dust (assuming you wipe it off every few weeks). As long as you have enough room above the receiver for heat escape you should be fine.

I considered putting my receiver at the bottom as well. I found it difficult to use the remote, however, as my coffee table blocked the IR signals. Plus, it was difficult to see the display that low.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

I too reconsidered placing my reciever on the bottom shelf. However since I got a signal extender I don't have too many problems with commands. Also anything with a laser pickup i.e DVD player, CD player, laser disk etc; should not be placed too close to the floor so as to reduce dust problems.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

It was always my understanding that the receiver, which runs the hottest, should be at the top of the rack. But as long as there is plenty of air flow space in the rack, I really don't see a problem with positioning. For safety's sake, though, I have always put the receiver at the very top( which is outside) the rack.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

Here in Southern California I put the heaviest units on the bottom, Earthquakes you know.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Makes sense to me, Mark. :LOL:

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• GregoriusM
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2000

Thanks, guys!

The receiver is currently being placed on the bottom. I agree with the idea of keeping the other components (DVD, CD, etc.) up higher for ease of use and less dust.

I also agree that the receiver needs ample air circulation, but it will be no different one shelf down than it is now. It has about 2" above (should be about 4" or more, I know), but it has all four sides open to dissipate the heat, so I have not had any heat problems at all.

I usually can't see the display on my receiver either (need new specs), so I'm not worried about its positioning. It will be just as viewable one shelf down, and as far as picking up the IR signals, I have Home Theater Master universal remotes (MX-1000, MX-500, and MX-700) that throw out a ton of signal, so much that I can point any one of those remotes at the back wall from about 5 feet down the hallway behind the equipment rack, and it controls all of my equipment, including my cable receiver, which is notorious for not picking up IR codes from lesser remotes.

Thanks for your comments! They are much appreciated!

Now, back to completely cleaning all of my components, rearraning them on the shelves, checking all wiring, etc. etc. etc. Whew!

... Greg :-)
              Gregor

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I personally like 100 pound amplifiers at the bottom, then pre-pro or receiver, then sources up higher for easy access. Of course, with a receiver, I can see that you have a bit more decision to make. Actually, I slid my VCR in just above my Proceed AMP5, then my MC-1. That puts the MC-1 where I don't have to bend much to hit it. It also centers the MC-1 pretty much for cabling, another consideration, and a valid reason to have the receiver mounted mid-way up.

Have fun Greg, when your done there come on over, and you can redo mine, lol.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

My Yamaha RX-V1 is on the next-to-the-top shelf of my rack - a six level Lovan Classic II with shot-filled legs. The turntable is on the top shelf, so the RX-V1 acts as an additional 62 pound dampening device. Plus it makes getting to the focal point of all the cables easier. Bottom shelf is my VansEvers power director/conditioner which has no parts to worry about with regards to dust.

I'm using a Marantz RC2000 Mk II universal remote with no problems sending signals to the lower racks.

There may be better ways to arrange things, but this works for me.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"