More 1068 weirdness: No Sub Signal (except when set to "max")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InTheRed
    • Mar 2004

More 1068 weirdness: No Sub Signal (except when set to "max")

OK, more weirdness from my new 1068. I can't seem to get a subwoofer signal at all unless I set it to "max" under the speaker settings. Under the subwoofer settings everything is set to 0db and it's crossing over at 100hz (changing these seems to make no diiference).

I know that I was originally getting a signal because when my trigger wouldn't turn on my new 1075, I was still getting the sub. I can't find any setting that would do this and the display on the front of the 1068, as well as system status, indicates that the sub is being used.

Any thoughts? This is getting frustrating...
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Seems like your fronts are set to large. The max setting doubles the bass and sends it out large fronts and the sub. With large fronts and normal sub you will only get sub output from the .1 tracks of digital sources.. Setting your fronts to small will probably give better results..

Kevin D.

Comment

• InTheRed
      • Mar 2004

Thank you

That did it, thanks.

OK, a couple of questions. With the speakers set to "small" and subwoofer set to "yes", then all frequencies above the adjusted crossover point are sent to the mains and all frequencies below are sent to the sub. Is there a frequency floor below which will not be sent to the mains or is it totally dependant on the set crossover point.

With the speakers set to "Large" and subwoofer set to "max", does that just send everything below the adjusted crossover point to the sub AND all frequencies even below the crossover point to the mains? Or does it actually boost the low end as well?

What happens with speakers set to "small" and subwoofer set to "max"?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by InTheRed
        That did it, thanks.

OK, a couple of questions. With the speakers set to "small" and subwoofer set to "yes", then all frequencies above the adjusted crossover point are sent to the mains and all frequencies below are sent to the sub. Is there a frequency floor below which will not be sent to the mains or is it totally dependant on the set crossover point.
        Everythings is trickle down to the mains, so the small settings on the center/rears will send everything below the point to the mains. If the mains are set to small everything cut from the center/rears PLUS everything below the main crossover point will be sent to the sub. The crossover point is definitive, there is no mystery other point. If small, everything above goes to the mains, if large, everything goes to the mains (except for the .1, if sub=no the .1 gets mixed back into the mains)

With the speakers set to "Large" and subwoofer set to "max", does that just send everything below the adjusted crossover point to the sub AND all frequencies even below the crossover point to the mains? Or does it actually boost the low end as well?
        Thats the same thing. Everything gets sent to the mains, and everything below the crossover points gets copied to the sub out. Everything below gets sent to the sub and mains, hence the bass doubling/bass boost.

What happens with speakers set to "small" and subwoofer set to "max"?
        Nothing, it's not a possible combination.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

Have you read the manual? These issues are explained in the manual.

Comment

• InTheRed
            • Mar 2004

I've read the manual, but if one has any experience with manuals, one knows it's not always safe to assume that everything is explained there, or that everything in the manuals is explained correctly. When dealing with combinations of settings in two different area, it's much better to get a user's input than to rely solely on the manual.

Thanks, Kevin, for the very helpful information.

Comment

• InTheRed
              • Mar 2004

Everything gets sent to the mains,
              Except for .1, right? As long as I have subwoofer set to 'yes', then .1 is never sent to the mains, correct?

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

The ".1" terminology is strictly for movies. ".1" is the "low-frequency effects" channel and low-frequency effects (i.e., deep, loud bass) are never sent to the mains, except when you don't have a subwoofer. They only go to the subwoofer. However, there is still "other" forms of bass (bass of higher frequency and lower levels). The mains are supposed to play this bass to the best of their abilities. But this bass can be routed to the subwoofer, which can play it better. So, the subwoofer essentially winds up handling both low-frequency effects and bass that you choose to let the subwoofer play (hence the feature of the adjustable crossover).

For music, it's slightly different. With music, there are no low-frequency effects, technically speaking.

If Front = Small, and Sub = Yes, then Sub cannot be Max. Let's say you have the crossover set to 80 Hz. Then, basically speaking, your mains will play down to 80 Hz and the subwoofer will play everything below 80 Hz.

If Front = Large, and Sub = Yes, then no signal is sent to the subwoofer. The mains will play everything (the full range signal).

If Front = Large, and Sub = Max, then a signal is sent to the subwoofer. The mains will play everything (the full range signal). PLUS, the subwoofer will also play everything below the crossover setting.

Hope this clears things up.

Comment

• InTheRed
                  • Mar 2004

Hope this clears things up.
                  Crystal. Thanks!

This place is so much better than calling the sales rep.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"