X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toychris
    • Jan 2005

Reccomendations on VCR's

I was wondering if any of you could give me a good reccomendation on a VCR. Is there any VCR's with component outputs that are reasonably priced? I am guessing that VCR's Video output is relatively low anyway, so s-video outputs would give about the highest quality of picture, right? I know that JVC has one, but I am not ready to spend 400 dollars on a VCR! I have been reading, and I saw a feature that caught my eye, and that was of commercial skip, a 2-3 minute skip right? I know that there is a Panasonic that does that, and I am sure many others.

Could anyone help? I know VCR's are pretty much obsolete now, but we still have a lot of VHS tapes, and will continue to record on VHS tapes also.

Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

I have not researched VCRs in a long time because the Panasonic I've had since about 1987 just won't die. Granted, I don't watch too many VCR movies these days, but on the other hand I didn't buy a DVD player until 2001 so she's got plenty'o movies under her belt. The Panny has been rock-solid and still puts on a pretty good show - for a VCR.

You're probably right about the component video outputs, most likely not on a VCR unless maybe it's on those professional jobbies. Even S-video may be hard to come by unless you get a S-VHS capable deck.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I believe the best you are going to do is a s-video output...I purchased an old Sony top of the line editing deck off of ebay last year for 150$.I did this just to have the best possible output going into my dvd recorder.All those old family vhs tapes will go on dvds ...till the next new thing.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The only VCR's that will have component outputs would be the DVHS machines and they're very expensive. S-VHS decks have s-video outputs and will give you much higher video quality then typical VHS machines and JVC has some budget lines that won't be that expensive. The JVC's offer an ET mode that allows you to tape at a higher resolution on regular VHS tapes...its not quite as good as true S-VHS tapes but they're obviously much cheaper and more common. I have a regular panasonic deck that's served me well and has the commercial skip feature that's very slick. Basically when it finished recording it prompts you to press a button to start the marking process where it goes though what you just taped and marks the begining and end of the comercials so that when you watch it it will automatically skip pass them. It works really well and only misses the odd one here and there.

Comment

• toychris
          • Jan 2005

vcr's

Can you guy's give me some model #'s?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Can you guy's give me some model #'s?
            Here's the current models from JVC

Sears has at least one S-VHS model from JVC for under $100.

another option to consider is something like this model that can record onto DVD or VHS tape's. This one's a basic model from a lesser name but I know Panasonic makes one as well but its significantly more money. Anyway if you're recording TV shows a lot a DVD based model would be my first choice...you can get some that have a built in hard drive as well for editing out comercials and making them mini TIVO's or sorts. Some have the VHS part built in like that one while others don't...you could opt to pick up a super cheap VHS deck for now for legacy support and then pick up one of the DVD recorders later. Incidentally the DVD records like the one I linked to have Component outputs as well.

Comment

• toychris
              • Jan 2005

VCR's

Thanks to you all!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Keep us posted I'm curious what you'll end up with

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"