Just got dealers best price on RSP-1066/RMB-1095 combo, what ya think?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A*Caps
    • Jan 2003

Just got dealers best price on RSP-1066/RMB-1095 combo, what ya think?

A local authorized Rotel dealer just gave me a price of $3,200 out the door for the combo (1066/1095). The units will be ordered from Rotel (silver), and he promises they'll have the new remote and most recent upgrades. What do you all think, should I pull the triger?

Thanks
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

IMO, Pull It! I went to 3 dealers, and the best price I got was $3,300 OTD.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• WallaceBW
      • Jan 2003

Thats 8.57% off. Thw best that I could do is 12% BUT i was buying a 1066/1075 combo.

That is a good price though.

The REAL question should be how good it the shop (service, support, etc)?

Brian

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

OTD Out The Door. Including 6% sales tax. The actual price was around $3,115. A little over 10% off. His price is $3,200 Out The Door. Even better than 12% off.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• WallaceBW
          • Jan 2003

oh... yeah.... TAX... ops:

Rock Dog: Stop following me... :bash: Just Kidding

Brian

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

A mere 9% off? If you must, get the prepro from your dealer, but why not buy the 1095 used for ~ 1200 or so? Spend the savings/difference on a used 991 200x2 for 600...consider it free Used power eamps are the best buy in audio.

1095 for 1200/obo, just popped up, will not last:
            http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampsmult&1048624018

One on auction:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3002699772&category=14 973

Comment

• sndtowne
              • Jan 2003

>

Buying one used "could" be a good deal "if" you know the previous owner and how the amp has been treated and if it is in pristine condition. :?: It has also been reported in the last two weeks - that there are a lot of scams going on with the on line auctions. Be cautious.

The RMB-1095 comes with a five year warranty which you would give up when purchasing a used one. :cry:

The cheapest price is not always the "best deal."

Just something to consider.

Bruce
              Bruce

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Edited so I don't look like a parrot...

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

Please tell me the percentage of used power amps that have problems? 5%, nah, too high. 1%? Perhaps. If the seller has decent feedback, you should be safe.

Person A buys two new 1095s at 10% off for $3800, and has his "warranty." Person B buys THREE used 1095s at 40% off for $3600....he put's the 3rd in the closet for his "warranty" (or just doesn't buy the 3rd one and spends the $1400 difference on other HT goodies)......expand this "thinking" to a lifetime of purchases, and Person B is way, way ahead.

Comment

• sndtowne
                    • Jan 2003

Ricky, much of what you say is true. But let's say a person purchases a used (whatever) and happens to get one of the 1 to (perhaps) 5% defectives - after all, the seller is selling the (whatever) for some reason. Now maybe he just wants to upgrade, but maybe his kid just spilled a Coke in the unit (I had a used Yamaha receiver come in that this had happened to. It worked for a few weeks then fried. When we opened it up and confronted the person who traded it in, he admitted what had happened). Unless you know the seller you can never be sure. :?

For that person who purchases the used (whatever) and it is defective (or goes defective in a short period of time) for him, he still has a 100% defective unit with no recourse other than to pay for the repair. :cry: A five year warranty is not something to toss aside lightly.

Are the chances good you would get a working unit purchased from someone you do not know? I think pretty good - but who knows? Also, a person who buys one used (anything) for 40% off and has a problem with it, is not likely to purchase anymore used ones for "backup."

That's why I pointed out the pit falls as "just something to consider."

Another thing to consider is that manufacturers make minor (and sometimes major) internal upgrades all during a product's life. Purchasing a new unit gives you a much better chance of getting the latest version. (A good example: the 200mHz video upgrade on the newest versions of the RSP-1066.)

Plus, I have found that there is a pride of ownership and excitement with a new peice of equipment that does not come with purchasing something used. :? But I readily admit this does not apply to everyone. Just food for thought.

Bruce
                    Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Plus, I have found that there is a pride of ownership and excitement with a new peice of equipment that does not come with purchasing something used. But I readily admit this does not apply to everyone.
                      I'm in the same boat as ricky in that we've both gone though so much gear in the last couple of years that buying used is the only way to keep the net cost down. Buying used items from reliable places can be safe and if you don't find its what you want sell it again likely with very little loss...if any if you dump it on ebay

That said I do agree its a nice feeling to come home from a store with a new toy in its original box 8)

Comment

• Rock Dog
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WallaceBW
                        oh... yeah.... TAX... ops:

Rock Dog: Stop following me... :bash: Just Kidding

Brian
                        It is you who is shadowing me. :P :LOL:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• wng
                          • Dec 2002

Hey, WallaceBW and Rock Dog, you two crack me up... again.

You two got a Laurel & Hardy thing going there, hehe.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Looks like our Rotel comedians are surfacing. 100,000 comedians out of work, and we get these guys. :LOL:

Ricky believes strongly in buying used. Nothing wrong with that, for some people it works well. I've bought a few things used, a few new off ebay. But there's definite value associated with having a local dealer. A few guys recently have had problems, one was a mail order, and the other a friend of a friend deal. Now both are slowly being taken care of I think. But doesn't change the at first feeling of being totally screwed. Then their's the feeling you get sending 1 to 2K or more off to someone you don't know. Until that box arrives, and you verify that you got what you paid for, it's a very uneasy feeling waiting. I've always gotten what I paid for used to date. But some haven't been so lucky. Scammers are caught on ebay every day and I'm sure they don't limit themselves to ebay.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rock Dog
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LEX
                              I've bought a few things used, a few new off ebay.
                              I wonder if Lex feels the same way about used cables? :LOL: :twisted:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

I agree that with the small amount of broken stuff used is a good way to go. Hell if I din't get the employee price, I know I wouldn't have what I have now..

On the last few pieces I sold I offered to help out on warranty issues for the remaining 4 years.. IE, send it back to me and I'll get it fixed.. I wouldn't have offered that if I expected it to break either..

Your post just made it seem like 9% off wasn't pretty good and that it was crazy to buy new..

Kevin D.

Comment

• sndtowne
                                  • Jan 2003

I think "used" could be a decent way to go IF:

1. The purchaser frequently changes equipment.
                                  2. Understands he will probably not get the latest version (update) of the product.
                                  3. Understands the risks involved and counts them acceptable.
                                  4. Is savvy enough to not need the help of a local dealer.

But to answer A*Caps question - the price your dealer is offering seems reasonable to me.

Bruce
                                  Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"