X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

Rotel RSX 1065 & Yamaha RXZ1

Question, A friend of mine is looking for a stand alone receiver. He has it narrowed down to the Rotel RSX 1065 and Yami's flagship RXZ1. The Rotel is about $200 cheaper. I tell him Rotel without a doubt, but he asked me to get some opinions from others. He does not use it for Music just HT. He is running Paradigm reference(Studios) speakers which require some power. :LOL: He cannot listen to side by side comparision. Rotel has software upgrades the Yami does not. So what do you think :?:

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since you're asking in Rotel land your responses will likely all be "Buy the Rotel" Yamaha makes a nice product that should handle home theater very well...IMO its music that makes or breaks a receiver so the choice here likely isn't as critical. That said since the Rotel is cheaper and upgradable what advantages do the yammie bring to the table?

Comment

• skullmurdoc
      • Jan 2003

Actually the Yamaha flagship is upgradable to. Yamaha flagship is well regarded for home theater. If I was building a home theater only I would consider the Yamaha. But if you listen ,even a litle music you should go with Rotel.

Also if its your thing, Yamaha has much more DSP mode.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Do you know if Yamaha has offered any upgrades for the RXZ1? I've seen more then one product with the capability to be upgraded but no upgrades offered for one reason or another. I'm not saying that's the case with Yamaha but at least with Rotel you have a long history of free upgrades beening offered.

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

One things to consider too...the amp sections will sound considerable different. The Rotel will be arguably more laid back and warm sounding, where the Yammy will be more forward/bright sounding. Neither is bad or good....and using those words (warm/bright) is a complete opinon on my part....but something to consider as well.

2 cents....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• jaakan
            • Dec 2002

I have tested them side by side at a place down here in Baltimore, MD. I help setup the store demo for them both. I have to give Yamaha props for handling speakers that need 4ohm load with the Rev. The Pioneer's that cost that more can't even do 6ohms right.
            The extra DSP stuff on the Yamaha ( hall1,2,3 etc ) will only sound correct if you have equal speakers on all channels. (same tweeter, midrange, woofer). The Rotel has a cleaner sound.

1065 better amp than RXZ1 yes
            1065 better amp than RMB 1075 no
            RXZ1 more tweekable than 1065 yes
            DTS 96/24 - RXZ1
            lower cost - 1065
            has put out software updates rotel

Comment

• Madd
              • Jan 2003

Just a follow up. My friend got the Rotel RSX 1065 and is just blown away :LOL: He told me thank god he did not go with another Yami this time around. He hears stuff he never ever heard before. I said thats what I was telling you. Another happy Rotel user!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

invite him to Club Rotel then!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I'll tune in with a "probably too late" post here. Don't know if people have considered some of this...

I'm a very happy Yamaha owner, and feel that my RX-V2095 is a great match with my Klipsch system based on KLF-30 mains. The sound is very clean and detailed, which I like.

When comparing prices, did your friend keep in mind that the Yamaha is a complete receiver, including amplifier? If you're looking just to save a buck, that's worth remembering. You'll have to pay for a separate amp.

As much as I enjoy my Yamaha, now that it's several years old and the A/V technology has significantly advanced including 6.1 sound, as it's time to look for my next generation receiver I'm really looking more at the Rotel. The benefits of going pre/pro are appealing to me. Also, I have NO use for DSP. I'm more of a purist, and like for my movies and music to be as God and the director intended. I also do much more movies than music.

I've looked into the RX-Z1, and I like what I see. But the new Rotel (much more $$$) seems to offer more. Incidentally, I don't know of any Yamaha upgrades offered.

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Madd
                    • Jan 2003

Chris,
                    When comparing prices, did your friend keep in mind that the Yamaha is a complete receiver, including amplifier? If you're looking just to save a buck, that's worth remembering. You'll have to pay for a separate amp????????????????????????????? :roll:

I really think the Rotel RSX 1065 is a complete RECEIVER! Including the AMP

Comment

• Rock Dog
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Madd
                      Chris,
                      When comparing prices, did your friend keep in mind that the Yamaha is a complete receiver, including amplifier? If you're looking just to save a buck, that's worth remembering. You'll have to pay for a separate amp????????????????????????????? :roll:

I really think the Rotel RSX 1065 is a complete RECEIVER! Including the AMP
                      Chris! I had been very happy with my Yammie RX-V2095. One of the reasons I bought it was for the many surround modes, as well as the reviews and ratings involved with this piece. At the time, it was the "balls marie" of near high-end A/V receivers.

Fast forward 3 years later and I found I rarely (very rarely) used any of the DSP modes. When looking into a new piece, I looked at the RX-Z1 and Denon 5803. After listening to those 2 and the 1066-1075/95 combo. I went with the 1066/1095. The price difference was not that great. (especially with the 5803) When taking into consideration the benefits of seperates.

In the store the benefits of the ROTEL gear stood out. But once I got the 1066/1095 combo home, and yanked the 2095 out. The difference was pretty impressive. And I am using the cheapo cables included with the 1066. My new CATcables should really make this stuff sing.

I still have to buy a tuner, which will come in the next couple of months, bringing my gear total to replace my receiver to $3,800+. But the benefits offset the cost very nicely. $0.02

For Sale 1 Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Whoops... sorry. Had misread the post as the 1066, not the 1065.
                        ops:

Rock Dog, that's encouraging to hear that you saw (heard) that much difference. Good to know that my eventual upgrade will be worth it!

CHRIS
                        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"