X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjt
    • Nov 2004

Rotel RSX 1065 and B & W DM602s3

Hi all. Great site and first time post for me. :LOL: I picked up a Rotel RSX 1065 on the used market a couple of weeks ago. I also picked up a set of new B&W DM602s3 bookshelf speakers to go along with it. Everyone knows that Rotel and B&W make an excellent combination, or so I thought. I am on week one of the new speakers (approx. 40 - 50 hours of use) and I just can't seem to get rid of the brightness in the speakers. I can listen for about a 1/2 hour before my ears start fatiguing. My listening area is 13X15 with wall to wall carpeting, an area rug and some furniture so I don't think that is the problem. My mass market cd player is part of the problem but even if I use digital out and use the dac on the receiver it isn't much better. My question is this: should I get a bookshelf speaker that has a cloth/silk dome tweeter (Tannoy's, I believe?) or should I try to stick it out with these speakers and attempt to burn them in with more hours? Anyone else had this problem? :M Anyone have recommendations on a speaker with a cloth/silk dome tweeter? I'm not sure my ears can take it anymore.

Thanks!

PS - I'm using monster 12 guage speaker cable and Tara Labs interconnects. Also- when I lined out to my Adcom GFA 555 MKII the B&W's definitely had more punch but it was still fatiguing.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It just sounds like B&W's are your cup of tea...which is fine. There's a few other brands that might be more mellow sounding to you...maybe try some of the LSi's from Polk for example.

Comment

• Olrik
      • Nov 2004

Only one name... Klipsch !!!! It's incredible with your amp.

Comment

• RJW1138
        • Nov 2004

I run 602 s3's with a NAD T742, and while they're not perfect speakers, and are a tad bright, they are NEVER fatiguing. I can listen for hours and hours.

Now, keep in mind that my speakers are properly broken in, and yours still aren't. The consensus seems to be that these speakers need at least 100 - 150 hours to become fully broken in. You still have a ways to go. I didn't do much focused listening until they reached that point, so I can't really comment on just how fatiguing they were until then.

So, until you break them in more, you won't fully know if this fatigue is permanent or not. Do that, and then re-evaluate them. However, perhaps your room still isn't acoustically friendly enough. Do you have hard reflective parallel walls? Do you have flutter echo? This could be contributing to the harshness.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I'd agree and give it some more time.

My 604s & 602s (though running through a Yamaha RX-v1400) have never once fatigued my ears. I find myself listening to a movie or music for hours and shutting it off and feel like I want more!

Rotel and B&W I have always heard are a great match, but maybe for your tastes they aren't? Have you calibrated the speakers and are you using a GEQ or PEQ (I'm not familiar with the 1065). Maybe you just need to mellow out the highs a little bit (if using a GEQ).

Try moving the speakers as well, it could just be the positioning of them. I know the 602s are amazing bookshelves for their price.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• kjt
            • Nov 2004

Follow up

Thanks for the responses. I knew I could get some good advice at this site. :T I am going to let the speakers break in for another 50 to 60 hours and then make a decision at that point. I was listening last night (after about 100 hours of break in) and the speakers have definitely broken in somewhat but they may still be a little bright for my tastes.

Andrew- do you have the names of other manufacturers that make speakers similar in characteristics to the LSI's you mentioned? I wasn't able to find any dealers in my area to take a listen.

Pewter - My brother has a Yamaha and B&W setup and loves it as well. I'm not sure what you mean by 'calibrating the speakers' in your response. I also did try re-positioning the speakers and it did help somewhat so thanks for that info. And one other thing, GEQ/PEQ? Graphic equalizer? I'm currently not using one in my setup.

Comment

• ds22030
              • Sep 2004

kjt, are your B&W titanium tweeters? I ask because in my recent shopping of speakers, I noticed that I could not appreciate speakers with titanium domes very well....unless they were way expensive. I have the LSi 15. If you cant listen to them, try Totem Staffs which I think sounded great for a small to mid size room....

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

I just got my 602s about a week ago also. I don't find them fatiguing at all, but I have been living with the 601s w/ LCR600 for about 4 months prior to picking up the 602s. I've noticed that the 602s sounded a bit different from my already broken in 601s when I first played the 602s. The sound was alittle bit brighter compared to the 601s, after about first week, that brightness kinda went away already although still not as smooth as the 601s. I just got some Auralex studio foams to treat the first reflection spots for the 602s and they sounded even better now.

Comment

• kjt
                  • Nov 2004

DS22030;

Yes, the tweeters on the B&W's are made out of titanium. At low levels, the speakers sound absolutely fantastic...it's the moderate levels that are the problem. I seem to have the same issue as you, they aren't very easy on my ears (nor any titanium dome tweeter, for that matter). What do you think of your LSI's? I had never heard of them before posting to this site but they seem to get great reviews on audioreview.com.

Thanks!
                  kjt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

KJT maybe start a new thread in the Audio or HT sections of the forum asking for other brands that are more mellow sounding as you'll get a wider audience there since its not really a Rotel specific question.

I thought polks were fairly well distributed so I'm a little surprised you can't find any locally...just where are you located?

Comment

• ds22030
                      • Sep 2004

KJT, like Andrew mentioned, you may want to start a new thread.

As to my LSis, I love their sound...esp. for the price. It has been hard in finding the right amplification (4 ohm speakers) tho. I don't know if you will be satisfied with the 1065 driving it tho. I had a 1075 driving it but it really did not control the woofers too well. I kept my LSis and make my amp "fit" so I am now using 1080 which sounds wayyyyyyyy better as far as the bass is concerned.

The only metallic dome speakers that I liked during my search was Boston VR-M90, Paradigm Studio 100, and possibly B&W 703...but they were all about twice the price as the LSis. By no means did I listen to all the available speakers out there and I am heavily biased to symphonic classical music which requires a non-fatiguing tweeter for all the strings. Good luck with your search.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

I'm thinking your prefferance isn't towards a Metal dome tweeter...

I absolutlely love the tack sharp highs, and as such do not find my 600's fatiguing at all. In fact I wish they were a bit brighter, as I'm a big fan of cymbals and high notes (I do like bass too, but not as much).

I suppose any speaker could be fatiguing if driven to it's upper limits with out enough power. However I find even at ear bleeding volume levels, I can't get enough, thats with just 200 watts going to the speaker. Currently I have my 603's bi-amped with 200W to the bass, and 200W to the mid/highs, the only fatiguing part is my wife always coming in and telling me to turn it down :M :twisted:
                        Bing

Comment

• phillipk
                          • Aug 2004

Another thought--though you probably know this--the 1056 defaults to 75 watts per channel. If you're only doint 2 channel, it can be set to 100 watts.

Comment

• kjt
                            • Nov 2004

Andrew - Thanks, I will start another thread in the audio forum.
                            By the way, I am in Cleveland, OH. There are a couple of high end dealers in my area but none carry the LSI line.

Comment

• kjt
                              • Nov 2004

Bing - nice rack! You da man!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Thanks Kevin :T
                                Bing

Comment

• kjt
                                  • Nov 2004

Polk LSI9's replaced B&W DM602 S3

Andrew,

Just wanted to let you know I got some great advice from you.
                                  I originally posted regarding my B & W dm602 s3 speakers and how I thought they were 'bright'. You recommended something along the lines of the LSI series from Polk. I had never even heard of this series and was a little weary of Polk after images of a guy in a lab coat standing with speakers poped in my head. But, I did some reading up on them, great reviews by audiophiles and casual users alike.

I bought the LSI9 bookshelf speakers and couldn't be happier. These speakers are the cats pajamas, no doubt about it. Never fatiguing, sweet bass, midrange, smooth highs, and built like a tank. One step closer to audio nirvana..

Thanks again for the great advice and the great site!

kjt

Comment

• RJW1138
                                    • Nov 2004

Man, I've read great things about the LSI series, especially the 9's. I've been really interested ever since then. Lamently, they are nonexistant in my hell-hole of a city, so a demo is not possible. Anyways, glad you're liking yours. You're obviously more fond of them than the 602's, which isn't surprising.

Like I admitted, 602's are not perfect speakers. I'm not radically enthused with mine, though I do still enjoy them, but seeing as so many are, I'm always wondering if it's my cables, my room, my source components, etc, or if it really is just the speakers. I'm fairly sure it is though. It'd be nice to have more options in the same or slightly higher price range, but there really isn't much for me to check out where I live. Sucks, I tell ya. Anyways, I think I'll be making due with what I have for now.

Well, enjoy the Polks, kjt!

Comment

• kjt
                                      • Nov 2004

LSI9's

RJW-

I don't have a Polk dealer in my hell hole of a city either. I bought the speakers from audiogon without ever hearing them (I know, sounds crazy but I was desperate!). Like I said, I got a comfort level after reading the professional reviews and what owners had to say on audioreview.com. I'm not sure if word is getting out on these speakers or if they are no longer in production but I have been monitoring prices on the new/used market and they are up some 10 - 15% over the last month alone. I liked them so much I picked up an LSIC center channel and another set of LSI9's for the rears. I have found the best prices at acousticsounddesign.com.

Good luck RJW on your quest for sonic nirvana! B&W speakers are definitely nice and they get great reviews but I guess they just weren't for me.
                                      kjt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

And you wonder why we made the Forbes list Great to hear that you've found a set of speakers that work for you...it can be a long and drawn out process but when you're done its very rewarding.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"