Multi-Part: (Tuner & interconnects and pricing)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WallaceBW
    • Jan 2003

Multi-Part: (Tuner & interconnects and pricing)

Hello All:

I am currently a Rotel-less HT fanatic that is looking to replace my failing reciever (don't ask it's too embarasing) with a 1066/1075 combo.

The questions are:

What tuner sounds good with the 1066 (the 1080 seems odvious but I had to ask)?

What Interconnects are you you all using from the 1066 (or other pre/pro) to your amp?

And in todays market what is concidered competive pricing on the 1066 and 1075 AND 1080? If you can include sources on this it would be great because One of my HT shops told me to "see me last so I can beat their pricing".

One last thing:

other than the fancy lcd (won't use it so don't care) and additional inputs (can't see ever needing them while the unit is still a viable solution) and dsp um stuff (don't use/like dsp much)... what makes the RSP-1098 so appealing for additional projected cost?

Thanks In advance,
    WallaceBW
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

For interconnects I highly recomend CatCables They're all I try to use for critical runs (silvercats and coppercats) For connecting lower signal quality components like the VCR or Sat DSS I use either Radio Shack gold's or Acoustic Research which are decent quality low cost cables. For my CD player and mains though silvercats is all I'll use.

If a tuner is important to you I'd consider not getting the 1066 but getting a 1055 receiver instead and use it as the pre amp. You'll loose a wee bit in sound quality but you'll gain the tuner. From my listening tests in my system these too models are so close it was impossible to tell them apart but on paper there are differences. The 1055 as a pre amp though is becoming a very popular choice since it adds more flexibility then the 1066.

What seperates the 1098 from the 1066 should be sound quality and upgradeability (swapping cards) and the new remote.

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

Being new to this end of the spectrum. I was wondering whether I should use the balanced or unbalanced input of my 1095? (when it comes in ) Can I even connect the 1066 to the balanced input? And are there cables to accomplish this?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• WallaceBW
        • Jan 2003

Thanks... The Tuner is not all that important to me (in fact I don't plan to buy it imediately because I tend to listen to the radio only about 2-3 times a year (from my HT setup that is) I will most likely realize that I don't need it at all... Other that the integrated tuner are there any advantages to the 1055? Also, loosing sound quality (even a wee bit) is a hard thing for me to do intentionally

Another quick one... Are all of the 1066's being sold the 100Mhz+ models (hi video bandwidth) or should I be careful to specify...

Thx again,
        WallaceBW

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Be careful. I'm sure there are still some out there with the 10Mhz video switching. As far as cables go, I use mostly Rhino and Signal. However, I've heard Andrew post so enthusiastically about his "cats" that I'm going to look into them next time, although I do really like the ones I have. I figure I'm going to still be replacing one power cord and up to ten analog interconnects. Was thinking of going Signal again, but I'll probably at least check out Andrew's pet cable brand. Everything I've heard about them is superb. I'll also put a plug in for Transparent, whose cables I love, but, so far, only own one power cord.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• WallaceBW
            • Jan 2003

Are there any independent reviews of the CAT cables? Also some more specs on the copper and silver purity would be nice I.E. 99.99% OFC yatta yatta... you should send a pair to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity...
            I've always liked their reviews...

What can I say I like Specs :LOL:

WallaceBW

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
              • Jun 2002

I use StraightWire Encore II interconnects with...

Denon DVD-2500
              Rotel RSP-1066
              Rotel RMB-1095
              Rotel RQ-970BX
              (4) B&W Nautilus 805s
              (1) REL Strata III

Straight Wire: manufacturers of Audio/Video cable and wire components for multimedia home theater and hi fi audiophiles or enthusiasts.

From the StraightWire web site:

For Dolby Digital Receivers, separate power/pre amp systems, D/A outputs, better DVD & DSS units, and high quality integrated amps & tube electronics.

Level 3 cables by Straight Wire offer unique benefits such as:

Copper strands that are individually polymer coated during extrusion to minimize corrosive effects of air and moisture.
              Advanced fabric braids to control resonances and reduce microphonics. All electrical and mechanical parameters have been optimized in our laboratory for real-life performance in your home.

Encore II utilizes the highest grade of foam insulation for astonishing midrange fidelity. Our most advanced Star-Quad design, Encore II outperforms all other cable designs in this price class and insures high compatibility with nearly all components. Discover the significant improvement a Level 3 cable can make with Encore II wired throughout your system. XLR (balanced termination available)

For interconnects, I found the price quite reasonable. But what I think is reasonable, you may feel is overpriced or not "up to par".

I haven't heard the CatCables, so I can't really comment on them.

Comment

• WallaceBW
                • Jan 2003

I use StraightWire (currently) for my Component Video run of 3M and 1M Digital audio (RCA/Coax type). Yes the cabes are good... but pricey for the quality. I am thinking about the cat cables (once I hear some more info about them). Just looking for bigger bang for my buck than straightwire

Also, all that technology is great (and CAN work well) but the past has taught me to be weary... Some of the best results are obtained by using a copper of silver conductor (solid) and uninsulated (due to the fact it is ridgid and will not bend and short out -- and air in a better insulator than even teflon) bent into shape. This actually goes against some conventional wisdom... It is impractical yes... Would I use it... No.. I'm just proving a point

WallaceBW

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I haven't seen any "professional" reviews of the catcables but if you look around there's plenty of us amatures that have nothing but praise for the ones we've purchased...I also don't think they've ever had a cable returned which speaks to their quality.

Anyway as to using ballenced connections there's no point using ballenced connections to the 1055, 1066 or 1098 since they don't have ballenced in/out puts.

Comment

• WallaceBW
                    • Jan 2003

Ok... Thx for the info... I think that I'll try them... but which one?

BlueTiger
                    Silvercats
                    or
                    concertcats?

This is between a 1066 and 1075 if it helps...

Also I still beed current pricing on the 1066,1075,and 1080 (I may open a new thread on these topics though...

Brian

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

If music is important to you I'd go silver for the front mains at least with copper for the remaining channels (opting for silver on the centre if budget allows) Email Doug (owner) and see what he can do for you...he might have some special pricing that he can do for a bulk order.

As for pricing the 1066 should be around $1200 US with the 1055 coming in a little cheaper then that (~$1000). Not sure on the amp

Comment

• WallaceBW
                        • Jan 2003

I'm new and thus aren't familiar with the customs of this forum... If you'd prefer that I don't create additional threads to try to isolate each topec into a thread let me know... but most places prefer this.

Brian

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

No new threads are good...helps to keep things on track

Comment

• fyonn
                            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by WallaceBW
                            What tuner sounds good with the 1066 (the 1080 seems odvious but I had to ask)?
                            well, I'm using a sony std-777es tuner with my setup and it sounds great, but it might not be a useful option in the US as the main reason it's so expensive is that it's a digital radio as well as fm.

dave

Comment

• Alex Prosak
                              • Jan 2003

Check out audioadvisor.com, they have some excellent prices on the MIT Terminator line. I believe the line has been phased out but they're still good. I'd recommend the MITerminator 2.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                For interconnects I highly recomend CatCables They're all I try to use for critical runs (silvercats and coppercats) For connecting lower signal quality components like the VCR or Sat DSS I use either Radio Shack gold's or Acoustic Research which are decent quality low cost cables. For my CD player and mains though silvercats is all I'll use.
                                Well... Mr. Pratt. I must say that Doug at Cat Cables is a breath of fresh air in today's "crap laden" customer service environments.

Many companies make high-end, quality cables. But dealing with a guy like Doug, who takes the time to answer my questions, reponds in a very reasonable amount of time to email, and is flexible with orders that don't quite fit into his ordering structure, is a very nice surprise. Not to mention the little added perks here and there.

Cat Cables has my current and future business. Thanks for the tip.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

now you know why he has as many fans as he does...wait till you see the cables...you won't want to hide them behind your gear.

Comment

• WallaceBW
                                    • Jan 2003

I plan on picking up 5 1M Silvercats with the usual connector only with rhodium coating... a 0.5M cable would be cutting it way too close with my current setup.

Brian

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

you guys keep this up and we'll need to open a club catcables

Comment

• WallaceBW
                                        • Jan 2003

A shop near me quoted me at 12% off retail on rotel gear... (I'll check them out)

Comment

• efarstad
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2001

Brian, that's sweet buddy! Let us know how you like the Cats!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

Rock Dog (Thomas), and Wallace (Brian), thanks guys for your orders of CATs and the nice comments! Your orders will be a produced and ready to ship on Monday.

Thanks again,
                                            Doug
                                            Owner
                                            CATCables.com
                                            Doug
                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• WallaceBW
                                              • Jan 2003

Great...

Thanks for the update,
                                              Brian

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                                                • Jun 2002

Wait a minute..."Lex" is actually the owner of CatCables AND a mod on this site?

So what's your affiliation to Rotel, Andrew?

I'm begining to get suspicious...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Wait a minute..."Lex" is actually the owner of CatCables AND a mod on this site?
                                                  So what's your affiliation to Rotel, Andrew?

I'm begining to get suspicious...
                                                  Yes Doug (lexman) owns both quatum and catcables as well as co owns this board along with mats.

I have zero affiliation with Rotel other then I own one of their products and wanted to set up an area here to talk about them. When questions started coming in that I didn't know the answer to I emailed Rotel and over time have become friendly with serveral people over there...that's all there is too it.

If you're implying that I'd recomend a cable just because doug owns them you don't know me very well. I don't suggest products I haven't tried or own unless I'm damn sure its a solid product since if its not what I say it is my name is on the line and in this online world we don't have much other then our name and reputation. I've stood up for some products I think are worth fighting for and called other crap...if Rotel's new DVD player doesn't do as well as the Panasonic RP82 I'll be the first to say so....I always call a spade a spade.

Comment

• efarstad
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jun 2001

Nicholas: Andrew is talkin' the truth...He's called me a Spade before! :B

No worries...hangin' out on this board you will see "no bashing" "no arrogance" and "just guys trying to help each other!" That's what attracted me to this forum...guys bein' "real" with each other. If it was anything other...I'd be out of here man! And that too...is callin' it a Spade!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                    E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Erik I thought I called you a dork not a spade :LOL:

Comment

• efarstad
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jun 2001

My bad...that's right...I'm a DORK, not a spade! Thanks for reminding me buddy...what a good memory you have! :P

D-arn
                                                        O-outrageous
                                                        R-ightgeous
                                                        K-ing

:-y

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                        E-Cinema

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                                                          • Jun 2002

Sorry, Andrew. I don't mean to offend. I just get a bit suspicious when advice comes from a person / site / magazine has a vested interest on how favorably a product is presented / reviewed.

This is why many of us rely on these type of sites for unbiased opinions. How can you believe a review in Stereophile when the manufacturer of the reviewed product takes out a full page ad in the issue where a favorable review is published? You can't. And I don't.

I always believe that full disclosure is best. I don't mean to question your integrity, but as a moderator, I would have expected you to disclaim that another moderator at this site is the owner of the company that manufacturers the product in question, and that that company is also a sponsor of this site.

Please don't take offense any to this. I'm just trying to ask the appropriate questions for the benefit of all. I'm sure you meant well...I'm not paranoid. It's just everyone is out to get me.

Again, apologies.
                                                          Nicholas Renter

Comment

• efarstad
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jun 2001

Mr. Paranoid said:
                                                            It's just everyone is out to get me.
                                                            ;-x Just mow um down Nicholas!!!They're out to get me too! :2guns:

In all seriousness though...your questions are right on and should be asked. So don't apologize...

Once you've become fully integrated into the Guide, we'll start sending you money too...I mean...make you say positive...ur...uh....forget it...they said I was not supposed to talk about the secret "code." :B

(For those who don't know me....I'm KIDDING! :P )

Keep asking whatever questions you or anyone wants to...we don't shy away from truth and honesty hear...PERIOD!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                            E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Apr 2001

Nicholas, allow me to clarify. HTGuide was established first. I am the founder. I own half of this forum though, as I have a technical partner, Mats. Consequently, almost everyone here during HTGuide's beginning, knew that I owned CATCables. Because it was born from here after we'd been a forum for a year. Andrew's been a long time customer of CAT. He receives no pay from CAT Cables or HTGuide. So, really, he has no incentive other than the fact we are friends to help CATCables. Most importantly, he's been happy with the use of his cables, so that is the dominant factor in his decision to support CAT. Kevin Patz, Eric, and others have no affiliation with this forum or CAT but still recommend CAT. So, please, understand there was nothing intentional, and in fact, I have posted to other threads here as owner of CAT, and as Admin. So, nobody is trying to hide anything. Least of all me. If you note the MatrixAV.US in my signature, you will see all my affiliations. That's a pretty open declaration.

Further, you will find that I will go the extra distance for all my customers. But I'd certainly never turn my back on a Guide member. So, that puts the dual affiliation as really a positive, not a negative.

As to Andrew's relationship with Rotel, no one here receives money from Rotel, not even advertising revenue. Andrew bought Rotel gear, loved it, and suggested we start the Rotel area. It's really a wonderful thing, not a bad thing he's done for everyone here. And I am happy, because lots of members have joined us, and that's what we've needed for a long time, a nice influx of members.

Thank you,
                                                              Doug (Lex)
                                                              Owner
                                                              HTGuide, CATCables, Quantum Cable, Zeus Cable, The Cable Forum.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                              Doug
                                                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

no problem nicholas open dialog is never a bad idea. Doug and I don't always agree on everything and when I don't I'm not afraid to tell him how I feel. Like it or not I usually tell it like it is. If you'll notice in most of my posts in threads requesting cable recomendations I don't usually recomend all catcables for all components...sure we'd all love to have a complete catcables set but lets be honest some devices don't really need that level of cable and when bugets are fixed as they are for most of us choices have to be made...anywho if you have any questions feel free to email me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"