X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keiron99
    • Mar 2004

Digital throughput on 1066

I hope I can explain this clearly:

I have acquired a DAC for my hifi which I want to use for my stereo music listening as it provides higher quality replay than the 1066. I will connect my source to the DAC digitaly, then connect the lineouts of the DAC to the 1066 (in effect just using it as a volume control).

The problem is my DAC only has coaxial in, whereas my source (pc, in fact) only has optical out.

So this is what I have done but can't quite understand why it works! I have connected my PC to my 1066 with an optical cable. I have then taken a coaxial out from the 1066 to the input of my DAC (in essence, using the 1066 as an optical to coaxial convertor), and then connected the line outs of my DAC to the spare tuner inputs on the 1066. Hey presto, as long as I have the appropriate digital input selected on the 1066, when I select the tuner input it works! In other words, it appears that the digital input and output work independently of the analogue circuitry, and even when an analogue source is selected, the digital ins and outs keep on working in the background.

Have I understood this right? Also, is there any digital jiggery pokery going on inside the 1066 when it converts the optical signal to electrical (eg upsampling, or any potential degradation of signal), or is the signal completely unadulterated?

Hope I'm clear!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Pretty much just a copy of the signal going out the outputs. I've done something similar when I ran out of inputs, one source would be composite video 1 and analog audio while the other would be component video 1 and digital audio.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"