Is there something wrong with my RC-1590? (high noise floor / white noise)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanteds13
    • Apr 2021

Is there something wrong with my RC-1590? (high noise floor / white noise)

Bouncing my head against the wall and hoping you guys have some insight / advice for me.

I've just treated myself to a RC-1590 preamp for my music listening setup. The rest of the setup is a Rotel RB-1090 power amp, my old but still great and trusted Bowers & Wilkins DM640 floorstanders and a REL Quake MK2 subwoofer to complement the low end (sub's crossover is set to 40 Hz).

Before the RC1590 I used an Onkyo AVR as preamp (TX-SR705).

The difference in sound is AMAZING. However, it has an awefull lot of background hiss. The Onkyo had barely any background hiss, I had to put my ears against the tweeter to hear any at all. The Rotel, however, has A LOT of it! I can hear the tweeters hissing from 3 feet away, which quite frankly shocked me... It's even worse if I use XLR cables instead of unbalanced. I can reduse the hiss by flipping the switch on the RB1090 from unbalanced to balanced while still using the unbalanced inputs. This lowers the level of gain, which reduces the hissing considerably. However, there still is some.

The reason to chose the RC-1590 over the RC-1572, and pay the hefty premium that comes with this choise, is that I had read that the RC-1590 suposed to have a much better SNR and lower noise floor.

This hiss does not change with the volume, between 1% and 85%. At 0 the amplifier switches off the relay and all hiss is gone. At ~85 and above the hiss rises with volume. Until that point the hiss is at a constant level, independent of volume.

I've tried disconnecting all sources from the preamp, including my mac that's connected to the USB DAC. Even with just the preamp, power amp and speakers connected there's a verry prominent hiss. I've tried switching inputs, but on all inputs except bluetooth it produces hiss. The only reason it doesn't on BT is that it seems to turns off the output relay when no device is connected or playing while BT is the selected input.

I LOVE the sound of the preamp, it's much smoother, less aggressive, than the Onkyo. It's buttery smooth, very 'open' and more 'full boddied'. However I'm shocked (and disappointed) by the level of hiss and wonder if maybe there is something wrong with my unit... How can it be that my old Onkyo has a better noise floor than the Rotel. It's suposed to be the best audiophile unit Rotel has to offer (except for the Michi) and has three times the retail price of my old Onkyo - a entry level surround receiver from yesteryears. :huh:

Are there any others on this board that have this amp and can shed some light on this issue? Does your preamp also hiss or is it just mine?
    Stereo setup
    Rotel RC-1590, Rotel RB-1090, B&W DM640, Rel Quake MKII, NAD C556, NAD C565 BEE, iMac, Chromecast Audio

HT setup
    Onkyo TX-NR5010, B&W 603 S2 front, B&W LCR6 S2 center, B&O 6000 surrounds, SVS PB10, Panasonic 55CX700, custom build HTPC, Chromecast
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I don't have an RC-1590, but is it possible to plug the pre amp in to a different circuit in your home? I realize your amp would be a beast to have to pick up and haul around, but maybe an extension cord for testing purposes would be sufficient. My thinking is maybe the Rotel is more sensitive to a power issue than the Onkyo. I may be completely off base, but hauling the unit back to where you bought it, and discovering it doesn't do it there, would be frustrating.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• r100gs
      • May 2005

Maybe this will help. https://www.psaudio.com/ps-how/how-to-find-and-fix-hum/
      Jay

Comment

• Wanteds13
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Alaric
        I don't have an RC-1590, but is it possible to plug the pre amp in to a different circuit in your home? I realize your amp would be a beast to have to pick up and haul around, but maybe an extension cord for testing purposes would be sufficient. My thinking is maybe the Rotel is more sensitive to a power issue than the Onkyo. I may be completely off base, but hauling the unit back to where you bought it, and discovering it doesn't do it there, would be frustrating.
        I've been in contact with Rotel (B&W Group). Together with an engineer on the phone we've tried a few things, one of them being trying a different group by using an extension cord. After about an hour he concluded the unit is probably faulty. I've returned it but the shop unfortunatly didn't have another one at stock. Because of the pandemic situation the logistics in getting a new one is a bit tough, a new one would not be with me before June, probably even July. The shop did refund me the full amount I've payed for the preamp. After phoning around for about a day, it seems noone has a black RC1590 in stock.

I've turned to the used market and bought a used RC-1570, and though I can definatly tell the difference in transparency and openness between it and the RC1590, it doesn't have the non linear noise issue. I think it will keep me happy till the logistics problem is solved. Perhaps I'll even wait till a new model comes out (can't imagine this will be very long, since the RC1590 is already around for about 6 years).

However, thanks for thinking along!
        Stereo setup
        Rotel RC-1590, Rotel RB-1090, B&W DM640, Rel Quake MKII, NAD C556, NAD C565 BEE, iMac, Chromecast Audio

HT setup
        Onkyo TX-NR5010, B&W 603 S2 front, B&W LCR6 S2 center, B&O 6000 surrounds, SVS PB10, Panasonic 55CX700, custom build HTPC, Chromecast

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I hesitated to post, in the hope that someone with more Rotel experience and/or some experience with your issue, would be able to help. Your post looked lonely, though, so I had to try.
          I'm glad you found the problem, and sorry you found it where you did. It's a shame they didn't offer to fix the one you had themselves, or at least point you to an authorized service center for some warranty repair.

I am happy to hear you at least have something to keep the music playing until you can fully resolve the situation.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I have owned an RC-1590 for two years and am absolutely delighted with it. It sounded excellent from the moment I switched in on. It is a big step up from my previous RC-1082 which is now doing worthy service in my other system. My RC-1590 is perfectly quiet. Based on my experience and the steps that you have taken I can only suggest that your unit must be faulty.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"