X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICEMAN70
    • Apr 2006

Rotel RSX 1057 with Hiss issues...

Hi guy's

You know, i thought ROTEL would have fixed this problem by now with their Receivers. My New RSX 1057 has the same hissing issue as the 1056 had. You can hear the Hiss from about 3 feet away. But from my listening position you really can't. I sit about 10-11 feet away. But the hiss is only their when i play CD's from analog connection. When i watch movies from digital connection the noise is not there.

So wierd. I watch TV in Video1 mode with COAX digital cable, and you can hear the hiss. I listen to CD in analog mode and you can hear the Hiss. But when i watch a movie in Video4 with Optical cable there is no noise?

I checked all my connections and the 12v trigger and everything is fine. I use good cables from 1057 to 1075 ( Acoustic Research Pro).

What else could the problem be?????
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

Same here with the RSP 1068. No hiss in multichannel, but a hiss is analogue play, not digital. My unit will be swapped soon, hope it helps. The hiss is audible from 12 feet away during low volume passages.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
      • Apr 2006

Hi foeth,

Your right, the hiss happens only on analog, but in multi channel Digital there is no hiss. Let me know if your new unit helps. I will also phone my dealer and get them to talk to Rotel about this. I bet if this new Unit has this problem so will the other ones. I just don't want to deal with swapping out receivers till i get one that has no hiss. This thing is heavy, and it is a B!@tch to get this in to my rack and hook up all the cables.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

A hiss that is only audible at 1-3 feet from the speaker is within 'normal' specs. Since it's only on the analog input it's probably coming in from the other inputs as all the analog grounds are shared.

Some people want a completely quiet unit, but you will have a hard time getting one.

Now with foeth having an audible hiss at 12', that's different.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
          A hiss that is only audible at 1-3 feet from the speaker is within 'normal' specs. Since it's only on the analog input it's probably coming in from the other inputs as all the analog grounds are shared.

Some people want a completely quiet unit, but you will have a hard time getting one.

Now with foeth having an audible hiss at 12', that's different.

Kevin D.

"Normal" to who? Rotel? Thats their way of saying its to expensive to invest time to fix the issue. A his is not normal in my opinion as I have had 3 denon recievers with absolutley 0 hiss. My RSX 1055 hissed, and now my rsx 1067 slightly hisses.

Comment

• foeth
            • Apr 2006

My Onkyo receiver was also hiss free, and the 1068 hisses audibly. Also, the RMB-1077 produced a very low hiss, without any equipment connected except speakers which I also find odd.

My speakers do have a rather pronounced tweeter, but still...

Comment

• ICEMAN70
              • Apr 2006

Like Foeth and Vancouver said, i also had 2 Denon receivers and 1 pioneer with 0 hiss coming out of them. My RSP 1066 had slight hiss but the 1057 has more. I bet i can live with this issue but Rotel should address this problem.

And yes, i know no body listens to their speakers from 3 feet away, but still Rotel should be fixing this problem.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Yes, a $300 receiver can be hiss free and I've put in a $5000 Mcintosh piece that hissed. If you want absolutely no hiss within 1 meter you might want to look at other brands. Rotel isn't going to work at fixing something they don't believe is a problem. A hiss that can't be heard from normal listening positions and doesn't effect the sound is quite common in a lot of manufacturers.

Here's another test, turn all your sources off and crank the volume all the way up. I bet you get a lot of hiss, pops, and other strange noises. It's a problem only if your deaf roommate enjoys listening to his music at full volume, but a $300 yamaha probably won't have the same 'issues'.

No reason to argue, I'm just stating the facts. You probably won't get very far trying to fix or exchange a unit that hisses 1-3 feet from the speaker. Best bet is to return it to the dealer and try another brand.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                  • Apr 2006

[QUOTE=
                  No reason to argue, I'm just stating the facts. You probably won't get very far trying to fix or exchange a unit that hisses 1-3 feet from the speaker. Best bet is to return it to the dealer and try another brand.

Kevin D.[/QUOTE]

Hey Kevin,

Years back all i had was LINN or Krell products in my house hold. When you start having kids things change and you start to down size because the little buggers touch everything. My 2 year old thought My dvd player could drink milk. So i started to down size to Denon products. None of the products that i owned over the years ever had a HISS. This includes my $10,000 LINN or my $3000 Denon.

I never stated in my posts that i was not happy with the product and never said i was going to return it. I said i will live with it. If Rotel tells me it is Normal than that's fine. I am not going to make a big deal about it. Since i have a very large room i don't notice the HISS where i sit from. So not a big deal. But i would have tought rotel fixed this issue by now. That's all.

Now my kids are getting bigger i upgraded to Rotel from My Denon system. I will never spend 10k on a system anymore since i travel alot now. I am very happy with Rotel. They sound great with my paradigms. But if the hiss is normal, than who am i to say other wise.

Cheers,

Comment

• Marlboroman
                    • Aug 2005

I will give my input also that an amplifier with nothing but speakers connected should hiss. It should not hiss when you have inputs connected unless there is "hiss" being sent to it.

Comment

• foeth
                      • Apr 2006

I will give my input also that an amplifier with nothing but speakers connected should hiss. It should not hiss when you have inputs connected unless there is "hiss" being sent to it.
                      Indeed, this is why my ampifier will also be swapped. Hope it helps. Don't want to switch brands... I like the 1077...

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

Analog boards can be noisy and tricky; good overall sound quality handled in the analog domain has always had noise floor issues.

You can compromise sound quality and clamp down any-and-all noise... but much is lost along the way.

Denon-Yamaha-Onkyo
                        these guys are excellent at what they do but drive speakers is not anything they care about, in fact the worst sounding system I ever heard (at any price) was a Yamaha Z9 trying to drive a large pair of relatively inefficient speakers...

It was god-awful

That said I've heard the Z9 sound beautiful - when asked to do what it was made to do - Process & surround baby!

Rotel tries to build products that can drive speakers in a serious two channel analog environment; this has consequences... as you well know.

Keep in mind:
                        Very few people who do “loud two channel” are satisfied with their surround receiver after they swap out their Rotel to solve a “hiss” or noise-floor issue and move into something else… it’s a give and take world… what are you willing to give up to get something else?

Comment

• foeth
                          • Apr 2006

Rotel tries to build products that can drive speakers in a serious two channel analog environment; this has consequences... as you well know.
                          Why would you want a hissing surround processor to enjoy stereo? Sounds plain silly to me....

Comment

• shadow
                            • Dec 2003

No point explaining more since it is obvious the cost of getting hi end sound plus absolute isolation from noise is far more than $1300. Get a Denon and be happy with quiet, sterile sound. :roll:

Comment

• foeth
                              • Apr 2006

Hmm, so at $5,000 the hiss should be gone? :P That's the cost my rotel Hiss special... But I'll wait and see if it persists in a new set... or get the Arcam Diva-AVP700 & P7 or FMJ-AV9 & P7 ... but I don't really want to loose that small and efficient Rotel class D-amp... hmm...

Comment

• miner
                                • Mar 2005

Just as an added note, my RB-1092 does not emmit a hiss even though I am using an analogue pre.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by shadow
                                  No point explaining more since it is obvious the cost of getting hi end sound plus absolute isolation from noise is far more than $1300. Get a Denon and be happy with quiet, sterile sound. :roll:
                                  We're all happy -and or - unhappy with all kinds of things... :W
                                  I'm not saying you should do one thing or another, and no one should be expected to tolerate an audible "hiss"

I was attempting to point out that (as noted earlier) the hiss was not present during digital processing, yet was during analog processing... The Rotel gear never seems to hiss on the showroom floor nor in any homes I’ve visited with Rotel gear, so I believe it is being introduced electrically at the location – I do believe Rotel gear may be more susceptible to such electrical introductions of noise because (see my reply above)

I've listened to all kinds of Rotel gear in a variety of environments and never heard them "hiss" so I can't comment directly on your experience, I have also listened to Yamaha Denon and Onkyo - and their are differences (besides the hiss :P )

My final point was something like – if you’ve got big honkin’ loudspeakers and you dig two channel music played loud -you really can’t use a Denon or Yamaha type product (they sound like crap when over-driven) that was all…

Comment

• Elvis
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                    Rotel isn't going to work at fixing something they don't believe is a problem.

Kevin D.
                                    Hmm..I guess Rotel has no idea how this has affected MANY potential buyers.There have been countless discussions on many sites over the past few years of this issue and I know several people who would not purchase just based on this issue.

That said I still prefer Rotel to just about anything in the price range,they just do great music for a pre/pro/avr.

Comment

• Clepto
                                      • Feb 2006

I know what to blame the hiss on...

SNAKES IN A ROTEL!

Not unlike SNAKES ON A PLANE! (;

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Clepto
                                        I know what to blame the hiss on...

SNAKES IN A ROTEL!

Not unlike SNAKES ON A PLANE! (;
                                        Hey Clepto,

What have you been Smoking. 8)

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"