Playing TV Through TV Speakers Only (RSP-1582)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

Playing TV Through TV Speakers Only (RSP-1582)

Hello, My RSP-1582 works fine for playing my Samsung SUHD 4K TV using the 5.1 speakers, but every once in a while, I just want to by-pass the RSP-1582 (and my 5.1 speakers), and play the TV directly through the TV speakers only. I know there is a way to do this through the 1582. I have the TV connected to the HDMI-1 input and I'm thinking a setting has to be off somewhere or maybe something with the wiring? My universal remote is programmed properly I believe to allow "TV HDMI With 1582" and "TV HDMI without 1582" but when I click on that routine, the Samsung TV shows an error message that it can't find the HDMI connection. This issue has been lingering for a while and I would appreciate any ideas you might have on this. Thanks to all! FRANK
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Quick question........If your Rotel is powered on and you turn the volume all the way down, and then turn the volume up on the TV does it work ?
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• frank1203
      • Apr 2006

It never even gets that far. I get no picture or sound. Just an error message that the tv cannot find the HDMI input.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by frank1203
        It never even gets that far. I get no picture or sound. Just an error message that the tv cannot find the HDMI input.
        My first instinct would be to hook the HDMI directly from the source to the TV and bypass the Rotel just to verify that something with the Rotel is the issue.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

You will need to go to the video setup section of the on screen menu. There's two options here.

1: Audio Mode, HDMI OUT ONLY or PREOUTPUT ENABLED

Default of preoutput sends all the audio to the processor. Changing it to HDMI out will send audio to the TV. This would be for all inputs and is mainly used if you had an amplifier problem or other issue. IE, still use switching from the Rotel, but no sound. Probably not what you are looking for as there's no easy way to change this on the fly.

2: Standby video source. Pretty sure this is what you want. The options are DISABLE, any of the HDMI inputs, or LAST. If it's only TV (cable/sat) you are interested in, set this option to the HDMI input that source is set to. Now whenever you power down the unit, it will pass that signal direct to the TV with audio going through the TV speakers. If you set it to LAST, whatever input you are on when you power down will be passed onto the TV. Not sure the exact programming on your remote, so you would need to set it appropriately for your needs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
            • Apr 2006

Thank You. I can certainly try that but I have a very elaborate set up and need to be careful not to mess up the current connections. I'm really hoping that this is not an issue with the RSP-1582 at all. I keep thinking there is a setting or a connection off somewhere.

Comment

• frank1203
              • Apr 2006

Thank You Kevin. I was writing the reply to madmac while you were posting. I will absolutely try your suggestions! Greatly appreciated!

Comment

• frank1203
                • Apr 2006

Hello Kevin. I just tried your recommendation and it still did not work. The issue is I cannot even get a picture at all let alone sound. My settings on the 1582 were already what you had stated in your post and I verified them. I think the focus needs to be on why I am not getting a picture at all and then we can deal with the TV sound concern. I thought if I provided you with the existing wiring configurations - that may help.

To start with, the universal remote was programmed by my installer and I do have a command for "TV with 1582" and "TV without 1582", so in theory I should be able to use or not use the 5.1 speakers or just TV speakers. The Comcast X1 box is configured as follows: On the back of the Comcast X1 box, there is an HDMI wire plugged into an output called "HDMI to TV". There are also separate outputs for HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 but the installer did not use them. The wire coming from the "HDMI to TV" is connected to the 1582 in the "HDMI out" section and it is plugged into what is called "ARC/OSD". For whatever reason the installer chose not to plug that HDMI wire into the standard unlabeled connection right next to it and decided to use the one called "ARC/OSD". I performed a small test by unplugging the HDMI wire from that ARC/OSD output and putting it in the regular HDMI output right next to it. It's still did not work! Just so you know, the other part of the connection is using the "HDMI 1" Input on the 1582. There is no separate HDMI wires for the TV with 1582 and the TV without the 1582.

So, I don't know if this information helps you or anyone as to what my problem might be. I just figured that this could help you better understand how everything is connected. Once again, I have no problem playing the TV through the Rotel 5.1 speakers and everything works fine as far as video when I don't by-pass the Rotel. But just using the HDMI without the Rotel, I get no picture or sound at all.

I realize this is a lot to read and digest, but any additional help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
                Last edited by frank1203; 24 November 2016, 10:41 Thursday.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Does your TV source (Cable Box or whatever?) have 2 HDMI outputs? If it does, just run a second HDMI run directly to the TV into a second HDMI input on your TV and forget about the Rotel for casual TV watching through it's speakers.

If not......then is it such a bad thing that you have to watch TV via your main system through the Rotel?? I dunno....I'm 53 now and I don't sweat about things as much anymore. My system is old school with my HDMI going directly to my TV and an Optical cable going to my old Rotel AVR for audio processing. This way, HDMI audio and Video work on my TV if I want to watch something only from my TV speakers.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

My settings on the 1582 were already what you had stated in your post and I verified them.
                    Trying to go through this asking questions as we go. What is the standby video source set to? Last or the input the X1 is connected to?

To start with, the universal remote was programmed by my installer and I do have a command for "TV with 1582" and "TV without 1582", so in theory I should be able to use or not use the 5.1 speakers or just TV speakers.
                    What happens when you hit TV without 1582? For this to work the remote should switch the Rotel to the video input the X1 is on and then turn the Rotel off. At worse, it should just turn the Rotel off. Does it switch inputs on the TV or anything?

The Comcast X1 box is configured as follows: On the back of the Comcast X1 box, there is an HDMI wire plugged into an output called "HDMI to TV". There are also separate outputs for HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 but the installer did not use them.
                    HDMI 1/2 are inputs on the X1 that I don't think are in use.

The wire coming from the "HDMI to TV" is connected to the 1582 in the "HDMI out" section and it is plugged into what is called "ARC/OSD". For whatever reason the installer chose not to plug that HDMI wire into the standard unlabeled connection right next to it and decided to use the one called "ARC/OSD".

I performed a small test by unplugging the HDMI wire from that ARC/OSD output and putting it in the regular HDMI output right next to it. It's still did not work! Just so you know, the other part of the connection is using the "HDMI 1" Input on the 1582. There is no separate HDMI wires for the TV with 1582 and the TV without the 1582.
                    This is the main output and the only one that will show the on-screen menu. The ARC/OSD output cable should go to the TV. The cable from the X1 should go to one of the HDMI inputs. Not sure if I'm not following you, or you got a little tripped up trying to figure it out back there.

So, I don't know if this information helps you or anyone as to what my problem might be. I just figured that this could help you better understand how everything is connected. Once again, I have no problem playing the TV through the Rotel 5.1 speakers and everything works fine as far as video when I don't by-pass the Rotel. But just using the HDMI without the Rotel, I get no picture or sound at all.

I realize this is a lot to read and digest, but any additional help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
                    I don't think things are hooked up wrong as you wouldn't get Audio/Video with the Rotel if they were. If the X1 is connected to HDMI IN 1, and the Standby Video source is set to LAST or HDMI 1, while watching TV with the Rotel you should be able to hit the power button on the Rotel and then get video and audio direct from the TV. If that works then the remote is programmed wrong. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what to tell you. The 1582 is the first unit with standby video and I've not installed one yet to test.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
                      • Apr 2006

Hi Kevin, I can't thank you enough for your time and effort in trying to help me..
                      Let me try to answer your questions..

(1) The standby video source on the Rotel is set to "HDMI 1". There is an HDMI wire connected to the X1 in output called "HDMI to TV" which runs to the Rotel HDMI 1.

(2) When I hit "TV without 1582" I get a message on the Samsung TV saying something like "HDMI connection be found"(not exact words) but basically there is a gray screen with that error message and no picture. Honestly, I do not know what the Universal remote is doing since it was programmed by the installer but I will tell you that when he first did the installation, it was working even though he admitted he was not sure how to work that issue with the new Rotel.

(3) You are correct that the HDMI 1/2 inputs on the X1 are not being used. There is a wire plugged into "HDMI to TV" which goes to the Rotel HDMI 1

(4) You are right. I think I did get a little tripped up. I just checked it again.. the HDMI cable from the X1 (HDMI to TV) goes to the Rotel HDMI 1 input and the TV cable is connected to the "ARC/OSD: input on the Rotel.

For my own knowledge - do you have any idea why the installer chose to use the "HDMI to TV" input on the back of the X1 and not the HDMI 1/2 inputs? Just curious and am wondering is that is contributing to the issue in some way.

If the remote is programmed wrong - do you have any way I can by pass it and test this? It stinks that only the installer has the codes since its a Universal Remote and not a Harmony.

Also - How is the Rotel smart enough using the standby video source to switch between TV with 1582 and TV without 1582 if both commands are on the same HDMI input? I'm wondering if Madmac had a good idea when he mentioned 2 separate wires into the Rotel for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

Thanks for your help. FRANK

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

OK. Makes more sense now. There's inputs and outputs, and to convolute things both the x1 and Rotel have both. Everything appears hooked up right.

The x1 has two inputs for other sources, but I don't believe the software is in place to use them. You wouldn't in your situation anyway. The x1 had a single output designed to connect direct to a TV or input on a device.

Your Rotel has I think 7 inputs (6 rear, 1 front) and two outputs. The two outputs are designed to run two video displays, usually a TV (arc/osd) and optional projector.

With the standby video source enabled, when the Rotel powers off, it will still power the HDMI board and pass whatever input is selected to both outputs unaltered.

So given the menu setting is HDMI 1, the x1 out to TV is connected to HDMI 1, and everything works fine with sound coming through Rotel there is a very easy test to perform.

With x1 on and playing through the Rotel go up and manually hit the power button on the Rotel. When working properly, you should see the video turn off on the TV briefly and then turn back on. As long as the TV speakers are turned on and the volume up, you should have sound as well.

If that's not the case, I would contact Rotel support. There might be a known issue with the pass through or some other gotcha I'm not aware of.

Just curious since I'm an installer and kind of feel bad when things don't work, why can't you contact your installer/dealer and get them to help you out?

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
                          • Apr 2006

Hello Kevin, Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to reply.

I'm glad you feel things are hooked up correctly. Its clear you know your stuff! I will absolutely try your suggestion about turning off the power button on the Rotel while playing in 5.1 and then see if it goes directly to the TV speakers. My only question is - doesn't the Rotel have to be turned on to allow for the standby video source.? I'll let you know what I find out. It could very well be just a universal remote programming issue.

To answer your question about why I didn't contact my installer is kind of a long story. But here's the abridged version... If you've read my posts for the last year since I've purchased the RSP-1582, I have had my share of issues. Patrick at Rotel has been wonderful in trying to help me and the latest software update did take care of a few of the concerns. I am not saying that my issues have all been related to the 1582 and I'm not disssatisfied. Actually what I really think is that some of the older equipment I am using (old CD player and blu ray player, etc.) along with longer wire runs, just doesn't seem to fit right with the 1582 setup and I think when everything tries to play together, they create a "perfect storm" of issues. In fairness, I really think the 1582 has a sweet sound and I really love some of the features like the Parametric EQ. I would never buy anything but Rotel and am loyal!. Back to your question - I really feel I need to start with a clean slate and am going to purchase the RAP-1580 when it becomes available shortly. I don't really need the extra power as I have 2 amps already, but - not only does it have some newer features, but I plan on also purchasing the new Oppo 4K Blu Ray player and getting rid of some of the older equipment and starting fresh! I'm hoping for the best! So.. since I will be using my installer to configure the new RAP-1580 when it becomes available, I just couldn't see myself paying to have this HDMI TV speaker issue fixed on the 1582 only to replace it shortly with the 1580. Not sure if all this makes sense, but thats my current plan. I know you've posted a few times about the 1580 as well.

Comment

• frank1203
                            • Apr 2006

Hi Its Frank with an update on my post.. I received a beta test software update from Patrick Butler at Rotel and I can now play my TV speakers directly without using my RSP-1582 or my 5.1 speakers. All is good and thanks for everyone's help! Can't say enough about the expert customer support I received from Day 1 from Patrick at Rotel!!

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Hello, My RSP-1582 works fine for playing my Samsung SUHD 4K TV using the 5.1 speakers, but every once in a while, I just want to by-pass the RSP-1582 (and my 5.1 speakers), and play the TV directly through the TV speakers only. I know there is a way to do this through the 1582. I have the TV connected to the HDMI-1 input and I'm thinking a setting has to be off somewhere or maybe something with the wiring? My universal remote is programmed properly I believe to allow "TV HDMI With 1582" and "TV HDMI without 1582" but when I click on that routine, the Samsung TV shows an error message that it can't find the HDMI connection. This issue has been lingering for a while and I would appreciate any ideas you might have on this. Thanks to all! FRANK
                              Just curious, why do you want to do this?
                              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• frank1203
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TEK
                                Just curious, why do you want to do this?
                                Sometimes I just don't need to hear the immersing affect of all the speakers and the surround sound etc. I might just pop on the TV after work to watch the news for a few minutes and thats all I need. Since Rotel engineered this feature in this model, I can assume I'm not the only one who feels like that.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hi Its Frank with an update on my post.. I received a beta test software update from Patrick Butler at Rotel and I can now play my TV speakers directly without using my RSP-1582 or my 5.1 speakers. ....... Can't say enough about the expert customer support I received from Day 1 from Patrick at Rotel!!
                                  thank you for helping our members, Patrick.
                                  we greatly appreciate your attentive & informative participation here.
                                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jam200
                                    • Jan 2009

Will this beta software be available to others? I would like to do the same.

Comment

• frank1203
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jam200
                                      Will this beta software be available to others? I would like to do the same.
                                      I think I was more or less testing this for Patrick which I have done a few times since the release of the 1582. My guess is that when Rotel believes the software is ready for prime time, it will become a version that you can go out on the Rotel Software update website and use. Patrick,can you shed any light on this? Although I was able to get the TV to play just through the speakers, I did find a very minor issue where the naming convention I gave the various inputs (ie: I named Video 1 - "Cable X1"), during set up were deleted and reverted back to the Rotel name in the set up menu. I made him aware of this.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                        • Jan 2014

Hi jam200,

A new, official software release for the RSP-1582 will be available any day now via and internet update or our support site. In general, I don't like to have beta releases of software floating around unless we are testing it as a solution for a particular problem. Anytime a software update is done, the RSP-1582 needs to be reset to default factory setting, which also means re-entering all the setting that had been used in a system. We expect to be shipping the new HDMI board for the RSP-1582 in February. I know I've been saying that for months now, but Rotel believes these dates are accurate and will follow somewhat closely the release of the new software that I've discussed.

Cheers,

Patrick
                                        B&W Group North America

Comment

• jam200
                                          • Jan 2009

Hi Patrick:

Thanks for the update on the software release date. Also, what will the process be to order a new HDMI board and cost as well.

Regards,
                                          Juan

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Patrick,

Any plans for the Software setup program to work with the 1582 and new RAP unit? Makes defaults a lot less painful.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                              • Jan 2014

Hi Kevin,

That is on the wish list, but I don't any information around when we might expect such a program.

Regards,

Patrick
                                              B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                              Patrick,

Any plans for the Software setup program to work with the 1582 and new RAP unit? Makes defaults a lot less painful.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                                • Jan 2014

Hi Juan,

The HDMI board will be offered free to owners of RSP-1582s. You will need to work with your local dealer on ordering one once they become available.

Regards,

Patrick
                                                B&W Group North America

Originally posted by jam200
                                                Hi Patrick:

Thanks for the update on the software release date. Also, what will the process be to order a new HDMI board and cost as well.

Regards,
                                                Juan

Comment

• jam200
                                                  • Jan 2009

Hi Patrick:

That is a wonderful gesture by Rotel. I will definitely work with John Woo to order one.

Happy New Year!
                                                  Juan

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"