Time for an upgrade. RSP1068 to either RSP 1572 or 1582?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Time for an upgrade. RSP1068 to either RSP 1572 or 1582?

Hi all....

Long time since I've last been on here having enjoyed my 1068 for many years now but it's time to move on to UHD , HDMI 1.4 etc etc...

So main question is the extra cash worth it for the 1582 over the 1572?

Projector will need to change to prob to one of the 4K JVC D-ILA's, amps to remain 1092 for fronts and RMB 1075 for centre (using two channels), 2 for surrounds - one unused. No centre backs used - yet.

803D's up front and HTM2D for centre SCMS for rears. Might move these to centre backs or fit ceilings units for that.

1582 really seems to have the right stuff ... But any advice between the two would be very much appreciated.

Btw my 1068 giving me grief ... Static on centre channel that's already been repaired a couple times over the years. Time to move on.

Cheers Steve.
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Ah .... Also how is the 1582 set for HDMI 2.x? I did read something about "upgradable" but not sure it will extend to HDMI.

I've also not really seen anyone implement upgradable in these components properly anywhere ... There is always a bottleneck somewhere in the chain.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The 1572 may pass 4k through its 1.4 HDMI, but it's not listed. The 1582 will pass 4k, but in either case 1.4 is limited to 8 bit color and only 24fps.

The biggest issue is that neither have hdcp 2.2 and the required HDMI 2.0 ports. Pretty much every 4k source requires that through the whole chain. You could get the somehow legal hdcp translators, but you would still be missing out on the main reasons to go 4k: high bit color and HDR.

Even if you ran a separate HDMI cable for UHD Blu-ray video, the amount of 4k sources increases daily, the new TiVo and Firetv are all ready 4k, both needing hdcp 2.2. and direct and dish both have 4k boxes.

So while I still love Rotel, the 1572 is off the table and I wouldn't touch the 1582 until an HDMI upgrade is a known real thing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stevebez
        • Oct 2003

Thanks Kevin... Much appreciated.

What list of processors handle 2.0 etc currently?

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Marantz 8802A looks the business....

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Unfortunately, pretty much everyone but Rotel. Even Arcam has units. Marantz would be a good choice until Rotel comes back with something.

Comment

• JDH
              • Sep 2004

I'm currently using a Rotel RSP-1572 and will pass on the RSP-1582 and hopefully wait for a replacement to the RSP-1572 maybe a RSP-1576 or what ever they call it that has proper 4K transfer and all the latest codecs ie. ATMOS etc. It would have to be available within say 2 years or I'm jumping ship to Marantz or similar mainstream product with current technology.

I guess if I still owned a RSP-1068 I'd be a bit more desperate to update, I've previously owned the RSP-1066/68/69 and would like to stick with Rotel but the lack of 4K compatibility and latest codecs is not acceptable.

JDH

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Unfortunately, pretty much everyone but Rotel. Even Arcam has units. Marantz would be a good choice until Rotel comes back with something.
              Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Stevebez
                • Oct 2003

Guys what options would you suggest?

Marantz looks decent while arcam only do receivers it seems. Yamaha?..... Sigh.

Yamaha CX-A5100 Or Marantz 8802A. The latter is more costly but from a couple reviews a little more reliable and sound a slight notch above?

Any others to consider.. .? I want to keep amps separate.

Thanks Steve

Comment

• jam200
                  • Jan 2009

Before you purchase another model, check with Patrick Butler about a potential Rotel HDMI 2.0a upgrade. Let's see if that's going to happen. I've seen it referenced in an article but Patrick can confirm it if he so chooses.

Comment

• JDH
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Stevebez
                    Guys what options would you suggest?

Yamaha CX-A5100 Or Marantz 8802A. The latter is more costly but from a couple reviews a little more reliable and sound a slight notch above?

Any others to consider.. .? I want to keep amps separate.

Thanks Steve
                    If no updates come from Rotel with the features your after, I'd also look at the Marantz AV 7702A or soon to be released AV 7703.

Seriously though, Rotel is currently about 2 generations behind the mainstream manufactures, so hope an updated product is available soon.

JDH
                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Stevebez
                      • Oct 2003

From what I've been told an update is due very shortly - HDCP2.2 / HDMI 2.0a. However if Atmos and DTS:X is supported thereafter I don't know yet.

Comment

• jam200
                        • Jan 2009

I've heard the same about an update for HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0a. Hope to receive my RSP-1582 this week from my dealer. Upgrading from an RSP-1069. Looking forward to the new equipment and sound.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Cedia is right around the corner. I think we'll see HDMI 2.0 and Atmos. When it makes it to the Rsp1582 I'm not sure. Curious that what they're showing is neither an RSX or RSP....

Kevin D.

Comment

• jam200
                            • Jan 2009

I've heard from a good source that the RSP-1582 will be upgraded to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP2.2. The upgrade board could be released as early as September so we'll have to wait and see. My dealer has also said that the new Rotel receiver (1592?) will use a similar board. Have not heard anything on Atmos, etc.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

I'm not sure Atmos will be available on the 1582. Upgrading an HDMI board is one thing, adding 2-4 more outputs would be next to impossible.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                • Oct 2003

No atmos or dts:x on 1582. Architecture cant support it.

Ive gone Marantz 8802A... Cant wait anymore and this is good as audio 2 channel too.

Comment

• JDH
                                  • Sep 2004

No atmos or dts:x on 1582. Architecture cant support it.

Ive gone Marantz 8802A... Cant wait anymore and this is good as audio 2 channel too.
                                  I'll be doing the same if no Rotel product with at least the current surround standards, I don't need the bells and whistles of the Marantz but do expect as a minimum ATMOS surround, current hdmi for 4K.

JDH

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

Cedia is less then two weeks. I would hold off until then.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                      • Oct 2003

You probably right .... But got a bit impulsive as well as a great price.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                        • Oct 2007

I wouldn't discount the Arcam because it's a receiver. Unless for some reason you need balanced interconnects (i.e. If you're running long cables to active monitors is the only reason) then the pre-out of the Arcam is a great solution even if you have power amps.

Comment

• jam200
                                          • Jan 2009

Well, my upgrade to the Rotel RSP-1582 is complete. I received my unit yesterday and completed the initial set-up last night. I updated the firmware via the network port and that went very smooth. Everything is good at this point. I'm enjoying the sweet sound this morning. I upgraded from the RSP-1069, which did a great job for me but I always wondered about the heat build-up from that unit. You could literally fry and egg on the top of the unit from the heat. The 1582 gets warm but no were near what the 1069 produced.

I'm running satellite TV, blu-ray, apple-tv and an older Sony DVD-VCR player through the hdmi ports. The analogue ports include a Pioneer Elite cd player, yamaha ypd71 turntable, and a Bluesound Node2. Will test all the connections over the weekend and see if I have any similar experiences to Frank. Overall, a good investment in sound for now and into the future.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

that sounds like a great system, jam200.
                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jam200
                                              • Jan 2009

Thanks Bill. I'm running all of that through 3 Rotel 1091 amps for my B&W 703 mains and a B&W HTM3s center channel speaker. A Rotel RMB-1095 drives a pair of B&W 685 surround speakers. Two B&W ASW 750s complete the system. Good sound all a round.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

nice!
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jam200
                                                  • Jan 2009

I found a used FS-HTM speaker stand for my center channel speaker. It is one heavy stand and works great. I'll post a picture of my set-up later today.

Comment

• jam200
                                                    • Jan 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	Juan's Audio-Video Set-up 2016 Resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	862305Click image for larger version

Name:	Juan's A-V Rack - External 2016 Resized.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	862306Click image for larger version

Name:	Juan's A-V Rack Internal 2016 Resized.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	862307

Still learning how to add a photo. These are photos of my current setup.
                                                    Last edited by jam200; 10 September 2016, 11:31 Saturday. Reason: Add comment

Comment

• Mikael
                                                      • Aug 2007

Very nice setup

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        • Jan 2006

Sweet!
                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• frank1203
                                                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jam200
                                                          Well, my upgrade to the Rotel RSP-1582 is complete. I received my unit yesterday and completed the initial set-up last night. I updated the firmware via the network port and that went very smooth. Everything is good at this point. I'm enjoying the sweet sound this morning. I upgraded from the RSP-1069, which did a great job for me but I always wondered about the heat build-up from that unit. You could literally fry and egg on the top of the unit from the heat. The 1582 gets warm but no were near what the 1069 produced.

I'm running satellite TV, blu-ray, apple-tv and an older Sony DVD-VCR player through the hdmi ports. The analogue ports include a Pioneer Elite cd player, yamaha ypd71 turntable, and a Bluesound Node2. Will test all the connections over the weekend and see if I have any similar experiences to Frank. Overall, a good investment in sound for now and into the future.
                                                          Hey Jam200!

Its Frank and I wanted to say Congrats on the RSP-1582! Sounds like you are enjoying it. You have a sweet set up! By all means let me know what comes of your testing of the digital inputs to see if you experience any kind of 1-2 second delay at the beginning of tracks from your CD player. By the way - what CD player are you using?

I have been doing more testing on my system and found another interesting quirk and maybe its only related to my set up. When I switch on the system from my Universal remote and start up in digital (to play a CD or Blu Tooth, etc.), I'm getting no sound at all. Yet - when I start the system in analog (like SACD or playing my IPAD, etc.), I am getting the sound fine. Now here's what's really interesting.. If I switch from analog to digital while the 1582 is still on - I get all the digital audio fine and ... drummroll please.. the delay issue seems to have vanished. I did let Rotel know about this but they think it could be unique to my set up and asked me to do a factory reset to see if that issue goes away. I have many customized settings on the PEQ which will all get wiped out if I do the factory reset but I may just try it when I get more time. Again, the interesting and weird thing here is that the delay issue vanishes when I switch from analog to digital while the 1582 is still on.

Let me know how things go.

Frank

Comment

• jam200
                                                            • Jan 2009

Thanks for your comments Frank. I haven't tested my Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J SACD Deck yet, but I plan to this week.

I can say this, the soundstage from the 1582 is a thing of beauty. It's a mature and sweet sound. I was listening to some old lps last night, "Rubber Soul", the Telmac edition of "The 1812 Overture" and "Empty Sky" by Elton John and the soundstage was surperb. Very sweet and clear.

Comment

• frank1203
                                                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jam200
                                                              Thanks for your comments Frank. I haven't tested my Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J SACD Deck yet, but I plan to this week.

I can say this, the soundstage from the 1582 is a thing of beauty. It's a mature and sweet sound. I was listening to some old lps last night, "Rubber Soul", the Telmac edition of "The 1812 Overture" and "Empty Sky" by Elton John and the soundstage was surperb. Very sweet and clear.
                                                              Very cool! You still love that sweet turntable sound. I was born and raised on turntables but I like a bit of a brighter sound so I equalize my turntabe. Since you like Elton John, try some of his SACDs on your Pioneer playing thru the 1582 multi-channel input. Wow. Captain Fantastic is amazing. Listen to the channel separation. Amazing. There were instruments and background vocals in Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds I never knew existed!

Let me know what happens when you you flip the switch to digital. I'm hoping for the best!

Comment

• ldgibson76
                                                                • Aug 2011

Hello fellow Rotel owners.

I'm the satisfied owner of a RSP-1069. It's been a very reliable device for over 6 years and as a matter of fact, it's still going strong. Through the years, due to it's legacy HDMI v1.1 stage and my tendency to have anywhere from 6 to 9 HDMI capable devices in my setup, I've had to augment the1069 with an outboard HDMI switcher to accommodate the extra devices. Current devices in setup:

-Sony BDP-S5000ES Reference BD Player
                                                                -Samsung BDP-F7500 3D/4K BD player
                                                                -Denon DVD-3930CI Universal Player (CD/SACD/DVD-A)
                                                                -HTPC
                                                                -XBox One Gaming System
                                                                -Apple TV (1st Gen)
                                                                -Verizon VMS-1100 HD/DVR STB
                                                                -DVDO Quick 6 Matrix HDMI switcher (6x2)

Unlike many others that have experienced the delayed audio signal via HDMI, I've never had the issue, or if there is a delay, due to the nature of my configuration, it was never a problem.
                                                                How do I mean? When it comes to straight audio (music playback), my Universal player is connected by HDMI, but that's only for viewing the menu/settings. All other audio (CD/SACD/DVD-A) is connected via interconnects. No delay. My Apple TV and HTPC are connected via HDMI, but when it comes to audio (music playback), Toslink and Coaxial digital cables are used and routed thru an outboard DAC (PS Audio DL III). The signal is then routed to the Rotel via RCA's. No delay. When it comes to the blu-ray players, Xbox gaming system Fios TV, all are connected via HDMI. All devices that are connected by HDMI are routed thru the DVDO Quick 6 Switcher and from the (HDMI 2 out ) sent to the Rotel for multi-channel audio purposes. The Video signal is routed to the TV from the HDMI 1 output.

If there is a delay, there's none that I can detect or it's not really an issue because with the exception of the Fios STB, the audio from the other devices is converted to LPCM allowing the Rotel to receive the hi-rez signals (DTHD/DTS-HD/MA). The Fios STB is the only device that has a direct bitstream audio feed to the Rotel. Now, I will say, that there is a slight delay when I switch to the Fios STB, but that's always been the case with any set top box I've ever used and/or any AVR or pre-pro. Not to mention that there is a matrix switcher in the mix, so I'm not sure if that's a Rotel issue or just the nature of the beast when it comes to my configuration.

With all of that said, it is time to replace the RSP-1069. I've been contemplating upgrading for some time now, but I've held back mainly due to my ability to patch and fill gaps which has allowed me to make due and enjoy most of the recent technologies such as 3D and hi-res audio. But now, my system is maxed out. There's nothing else I can do. 4K and immersive surround formats have really peaked forced my hand. To have it all, it would pretty much require a complete system overhaul. 4K TV, Pre-pro, 4K source device(s) and probably new cables. A very expensive endeavor! :roll:

I passed on the RSP-1570 because in my opinion, other than the new design and v1.3 HDMI, functionally, I considered it a lateral move, not worth the $2199.00 asking price. Then comes the 1572,.... I was really interested in that model. Six v1.4 HDMI inputs, 2 outs, USB ports, 10 band PEQ, etc,... but after reading so many complaints from owners, that along with the anticipation of the new technologies on the horizon, I decided to hold off.

Next up, the RSP-1582! Wow, now that's one impressive looking pre-pro. But alas, 4K pass thru it has, but no Atmos or DTS:X or auto room correction!!! :nonod: Really!?! The fact that almost every other manufacturer out there is finding a way to incorporate 4K, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, ATMOS, DTS:X and Auto room correction in their pre-pro and AVR's, and yet again, Rotel comes up short. I really have an affinity for the Rotel brand, but there's a limit to my patience.

Now Rotel is introducing a new product, the RAP-1580 Amplified Processor and behold, it's pre-amp section is coming equipped with everything the RSP-1582 currently lacks! (It has 4K pass thru, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, ATMOS and DTS:X). No HDR10 or WCG capability.
                                                                Apparently, Rotel will be launching a new Pre-pro to replace the 1572 that will have all of the features. With our luck, by the time it's available, there will be a new HDMI/HDCP standards to accommodate 8K resolution and 11.2 immersive surround sound and will be commonplace on lower end AVR's. I know that's very negative, but look at Rotel's track record over the last 6 years.

I don't want to have to opt for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc,... But Anthem is peaking my interest now. The AVM-60 is more ready for primetime, but it's not without it's issues. I'm currently using Anthem amplification and I've been very happy with it's performance.
                                                                Hopefully the replacement for the 1572 won't take too long.

Rant finished.
                                                                Last edited by ldgibson76; 22 September 2016, 17:35 Thursday. Reason: re-wording and typo corrections
                                                                Regards,

ldgibson76
                                                                My Setup
                                                                The 2 Channel Within
                                                                "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
                                                                -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                                                                -Douglas Adams

Comment

• JDH
                                                                  • Sep 2004

I'd say the Rotel RSP-1572 will be the next thing to be replaced, I currently own one for over 4 years and would be looking for an upgrade with in 2 years or less with the features you mention. Like yourself if a suitable well featured pre/pro is not offered by at least sometime next year I'll be looking for another brand to replace my RSP-1572 with.

JDH
                                                                  Last edited by JDH; 23 September 2016, 01:35 Friday.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2003

Hi guys so back to my change from Rotel 1068 processor to Marantz 8802...

Just finished adding a second RMB 1075 for the front high and wides with 1092 doing l-r and the other 1075 biamped on centre channel and single channel to surrounds. Have 2 channels spare !

I expected a big change from the 1068 and wow I am amazed at the staging now its captivating...

Ill post some pics soon, but so far very very happy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"