X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rarmand
    • Jan 2015

RSP-1572 Optical 1 to Zone 2 #FAIL

First timer here.

I have an RSP-1572 processor mated to an RMB-1506 distribution amplifier.

I'm having trouble playing OUT to Zone 2 from my Airport Express plugged into Optical 1.

Here's where I'm at:

• I know Optical 1 works — I can plug in my Airport Express and listen to FL/FR/etc OUT.
    • I know Zone 2 works — I can play out to it from my phone plugged into USB.

The problem is that Optical 1 + Zone 2 won't work together!

(Note that I do have Zone 2 set to CD (Optical 1)).

Any suggestions?
  • BilGe
    • Apr 2007

See page 20 in the RSP-1572 owner's manual.

The answer is simple: You can't do that. The preamp will not pass any digital input to the Zone outputs. Anything that goes to the Zone outputs must come into the preamp in analog form.

Bill Gee

Comment

• rarmand
      • Jan 2015

Bill, thx for the quick reply. How disappointing

I guess the USB input — that works fine with Zone 2 — isn't considered digital

From p20:
      When using digital connections, you may also want to make the analog audio input connections. The analog connection is necessary to send an analog Video and Audio signal to Zones 2, 3 and 4.

I will try a 1/8" stereo cable from the Airport Express into the analog CD input [#29] and see how it sounds... otherwise I might be shopping for an external DAC.

Comment

• BilGe
        • Apr 2007

Hi Rarmand -

Yep, your quote from the manual is exactly what I saw.

It seems logical that the USB port would count as "digital" ... but maybe they route it differently. I have an older RSP-1068 which has neither USB nor HDMI, so I have no personal experience with it. The RSP-1572 owner's manual is not clear regarding how USB inputs are handled.

I have a Raspberry Pi with a Wolfson Audio card on it. I run Music Player daemon on it. Although the Wolfson card has a digital output, I don't use it. It is connected to one of the analog inputs on my preamp. It sounds great and works with the zone output.

Bill Gee

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"