X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pramod
    • Dec 2005

Rotel RMB 1066 for Stereo Setup? for a pair of B&W CM7's

Hello List,

I'm getting this 6ch amp. will it work good for Stereo Setup? to power my B&W CM7's? will it work like RB-1070 (120RMS) stereo power amp? or there will be difference in performance.

Bi-Amp mode with 60+60=120 per channel would do any harm for the CM7's twitters?
    Or Bridge Mode is any better then Bi-amping?
    I read somewhere that in Bridge mode it would fall short of current?

any responses with guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards
    Pramod.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

There will be a difference in performance.

With bi-amping, you're not sending 120w to the speaker. You're sending 60w to the tweeter/mid and 60w to the woofer. If the woofer needs more then 60w, you won't get it. Using a RB-1070, you would have 120w available for the entire speaker and plenty of current for the woofer in times of need.

Now you would think bridging the amp would solve that problem, but the minimum ohm load of the amp goes from 4ohm to 8ohm. While the CM7 is a 8ohm nominal (average) speaker, it does drop to 3ohm at certain frequencies. This is most likely in the bass area where you will need a lot of current. Trying to pull a lot of power at 3ohm from an amp that wants an 8ohm load will most likely shut the amp down.

The 1066 is a multi-room amp or a small surround system. It's not for critical stereo listening.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I can not guarantee it is true for the RB, however i can attest from firsthand experience that the RSP-1066 has less than mediocre performance from its analog stereo pre section.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• pramod
        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the input and explaining it clearly, I have some more additional questions?

Will RB 1552@120RMS would drive CM7's adequately? or I should go for RB1582@200RMS?

I'm planning to connect the PV1 Sub in stereo mode, but I do not know how to do that, so help/advice is need for it...
        so if I use a subwoofer to send all the low frequencies to it, will RB-1552 would suffice for the job? or still need to go for RB1582.
        I'm planning to connect this power amp with my Burson-HA160D Pre amp.
        Thanks in advance for your time and replyies.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"