X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Brought Home New CM7s

I took delivery of my new CM7's today in Rosenut. I've got some 703s in the same color, so you'd think I wouldn't be quite so excited, but I am. They are replacing some Klipsch RF-5 for HT use. Eventually, I'll get a CM-C, new surrounds, and maybe even a new ASW-750 just so it all matches.

Even though the center doesn't match, I watched a few minutes of Band of Brothers (something I'm quite familiar with) to try out the CM7s. Wow, it was incredible, there was a scene where some men were talking and I could hear some radio talk going on off the right side of the picture that I've never heard before. While I know from my 703s that I can hear things in music before that I haven't with other speakers, it still amazes me!

Now I'm all the more excited to finish the system upgrades. Then it'll probably have to be separates, then... when does it end!! :demon:
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ted

Now I'm all the more excited to finish the system upgrades. Then it'll probably have to be separates, then... when does it end!! :demon:
    Ted,
    I love the CM7 - it's an amazing expression of quality and value... Fancy finished woods - Rolled surround tweeters and FST drivers and all that... Groovy

Q: When does it end
    A: When you stop having fun....

BTW: Don't stop

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

Nice. The obvious question is: How do you think they compare to your 703?

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Contrats Ted, the new CMs ROCK! Like Andrew says, don't stop having fun! Way to go!!! :T
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

Thanks for the kind words guys! I agree, this is fun...

Originally posted by dknightd
          I've not had too much time to compare the two, but it is a good question. The CM7 aren't too bad to move, maybe I should move them in with my 703/Rotel set-up to compare them. On my initial impressions, the biggest difference is the 703's are more forward and bright sounding.

Maybe I'll move the speakers around this weekend. If I do, I'll let you know what I think.
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2006

Well, I got a buyer for my old center channel, so it is out with the old and in with the new. I got a CM-C on order, so I'm excited to have a better matching center. I just wish they'd make a center with a FST mid-range (you'd think they'd learn after everyone complained about the 703/HTM7 combo). Never-the-less, I've been really happy with the CM7 for HT so far!

Originally posted by dknightd
            Well, I just posted this in a different thread, but I thought I'd stick it here too:

Well, I'm far from an authority on comparing speakers, but I'll make a brief comparison. As I write this, my 2 week old (most likely not totally broke-in yet) CM7s are sitting where my 703s usually do. I use the 703s for 2 channel only and my CM7 are from my HT. I thought it'd be fun to listen to the CM7s on my 2 channel system however, and here we are.

As I said, I am probably a poor person to write a comparison, but here's my impressions:
            The most obvious difference to me is the 703s more forward/bright highs. I'm pretty used to their sound and as I've stated in other posts, I really only find this a problem when I have them too loud anyway. Having said that however, the little more relaxed highs on the CM7 is ... how should I put it? Refreshing? Maybe a little more relaxing? I'm not on edge quite so much (is that anything like listener fatigue?).

I'm sure there must be a difference in the mid-range somewhere, but honestly I don't hear it.

The 703 have better bass. Better as in more full, cleaner, abundant. I would expect this given is has two bass cones vs one. However, I don't feel that the CM7 is lacking at all, it is just not as good.

I believe the 703 image better than the CM7. I assume, maybe wrong that this is due to the tweeter being on top vs in the cabinet. The 703 also reveal detail a little more. Again, maybe from the separate tweeter or the more forward sound, both?

Aesthetically, I like the 703 better. The veneers (I think) are beautiful on both, but the CM7 are smooth and almost look fake, vs the grain being visible on the 703. The cabinets on the 703 are just more hefty too.

I think the 703 are better overall (they better be, I paid a lot more for them than I did the CM7s :W ), but just that step forward. When I bought my 703, I almost saved more for the 804, but just couldn't justify it. I'd say the 703 are just a little closer to the 804 than the CM7 is to the 703. Now, if B & W expended the CM line, maybe added some speakers with the tweeter on top and other improvements, I could see the CM line replacing the 700s.

Okay, there's my comparison. Remember, everything I say should be considered the truth and seen as gospel! :roll: :W Okay, those are my opinions for whatever they are worth.
            Ted

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Ted
              Well, I got a buyer for my old center channel, so it is out with the old and in with the new. I got a CM-C on order, so I'm excited to have a better matching center. I just wish they'd make a center with a FST mid-range (you'd think they'd learn after everyone complained about the 703/HTM7 combo). Never-the-less, I've been really happy with the CM7 for HT so far!

Well, I just posted this in a different thread, but I thought I'd stick it here too:

Well, I'm far from an authority on comparing speakers, but I'll make a brief comparison. As I write this, my 2 week old (most likely not totally broke-in yet) CM7s are sitting where my 703s usually do. I use the 703s for 2 channel only and my CM7 are from my HT. I thought it'd be fun to listen to the CM7s on my 2 channel system however, and here we are.

As I said, I am probably a poor person to write a comparison, but here's my impressions:
              The most obvious difference to me is the 703s more forward/bright highs. I'm pretty used to their sound and as I've stated in other posts, I really only find this a problem when I have them too loud anyway. Having said that however, the little more relaxed highs on the CM7 is ... how should I put it? Refreshing? Maybe a little more relaxing? I'm not on edge quite so much (is that anything like listener fatigue?).

I'm sure there must be a difference in the mid-range somewhere, but honestly I don't hear it.

The 703 have better bass. Better as in more full, cleaner, abundant. I would expect this given is has two bass cones vs one. However, I don't feel that the CM7 is lacking at all, it is just not as good.

I believe the 703 image better than the CM7. I assume, maybe wrong that this is due to the tweeter being on top vs in the cabinet. The 703 also reveal detail a little more. Again, maybe from the separate tweeter or the more forward sound, both?

Aesthetically, I like the 703 better. The veneers (I think) are beautiful on both, but the CM7 are smooth and almost look fake, vs the grain being visible on the 703. The cabinets on the 703 are just more hefty too.

I think the 703 are better overall (they better be, I paid a lot more for them than I did the CM7s :W ), but just that step forward. When I bought my 703, I almost saved more for the 804, but just couldn't justify it. I'd say the 703 are just a little closer to the 804 than the CM7 is to the 703. Now, if B & W expended the CM line, maybe added some speakers with the tweeter on top and other improvements, I could see the CM line replacing the 700s.

Okay, there's my comparison. Remember, everything I say should be considered the truth and seen as gospel! :roll: :W Okay, those are my opinions for whatever they are worth.
              Your impression sounds very similar to most I've read, I guess that a good descriptor would be that the highs on the 703 are more forward and directional, which makes sense in speakers that are meant for stereo rather than HT use. One beef I have always had with the 703, and which why I never bought a pair, is that it is extremely bass light, acurate, yes, but with little lower octave presence which made them inappropriate for more bass oriented music.

Comment

• Pedro
                • Jan 2006

Well I´ve listened CM1 and 703. CM1 have highs that don look likes with the 703s. The highs of CM serie is so much close or almost identical of the 800 Standard series (non diamond). As Ted said, if they create a better CM serie speaker like CM9, they will certainly drop 700s series wich still better than CM in the Basses. But in the highs they are terrific, very bright sometimes harsh, and that´s why they are unforgiven. For example, the Diamond series are MUCH more detailed than 700s series but never sound bright or harsh. So, for me the best tweeter is when it can reproduce any material (bad or excelent), but dont making it bright, or hard-listening

Comment

• dknightd
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ted
                  thanks

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"