X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SF_VR6
    • Apr 2007

Could my CM7s sound even better?

So my CM7s are almost 1 month old.

I am using a very nice Marantz AVR pushing these main and center.
    The AVR is the SR7001 pushing 110wpc.

My CM7s are spec'd to handle up to 150wpc on the mains.

Am I underpowering these babies?
    Being very new to this hobby, I've been reading about separate amps for the speakers. A dual channel for the mains and a mono channel for the centers.
    Rotel has some nice ones pushing 500wpc.

Is this overkill?

Also, are amps suppose to work in conjunction with your AVR? How are they connected?

Sorry for all the questions.
    Suggestions on fully utilizing my speakers potentials?

thank you.

D-
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

One slippery slope of upgraditus coming right up.

You have given us no where near enough information. The power amp is only one part of the equation - and what equation do you want to improve - movies or music. Sometimes I think everyone should show their room setup in a photo and list all of their gear before asking questions like this, otherwise it is the blind leading the blind.

Have you optimised you existing setup before upgrading - ie room acoustics, cables, speaker positioning. When I wack some silver cables on my 7300OSE (running 2 channel) the whole sound improves, clearer and better bass etc.

Short answer to the power amp is yes, even a 100watt power amp will beat the Marantz receiver in my experience, but cost in a decent interconnect into the equation.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• SF_VR6
      • Apr 2007

Here's a pic with specs

CM7 mains
      CM Center
      no sub (so far)

1x Marantz SR7001 (110x7wpc)

Tributaries Speaker cable with banana plugs.
      (not biwired)

I watch Blu-Ray movies and PS3 gaming 90% of the time.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Thanks for the info SF VR6.

Your listening is the opposite of mine (I am 10% movies).
        With a heavy emphasis on movies, and your speakers present a similar load to my 804s, then I would definitely suggest trying a power amp or two - my 110w Marantz struggles without a power amp if the movie has even a modestly demanding sound track. Good interconnects, I would suggest silver, would ensure you get best results from the upgrade (try a few if you can)

Experimenting with room treatment would also be worthwhile as it does not appear that you have any at this point.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"