X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColtraneLane
    • Sep 2011

Rotel for CM7s

Rotel for CM7s
    I've been looking for a integrated/receiver to power a pair of B&W CM7s for a while now.

Exclusively 2 channel. Music is of upmost importance. Computer audio (need a DAC) and vinyl (already have a phono pre-amp). I'll run my TV though the amp, but I honestly I'd place less than 1% importance on TV - this is all about 2 channel stereo (music).

My options seem to be as follows. Where possible, I'd prefer an integrated vs. separates, but I'm looking for the best option.

- RA-1520 + a DAC - I already have a phono amp so this is a wasted slot. I'd need a separate DAC
    - RSX-1550/1560 - Seems like decent power and includes a DAC. Lots of processing and bells & whistles I don't need. Is this actually the best choice?
    - RCX-1500 or RDG-1520 + amp - I've seen really missed reviews on this suggesting lower build quality than normal Rotel

Any thoughts?

As an aside, my other option is a Rega Brio R + Rega DAC. As B&W's are tested with Rotel's I really want to give them a fair chance, but I'm struggling to find the best Rotel option.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I think in the price range of the Rotel stuff you could add a lot of other manufactures to the list like Emotiva etc. You will have a hard time beating Emotiva in this price range for price vs. performance.

Out of your options listed:

RA-1520 - Nice little unit, but your CM7 may benefit from a little more power.

RSX1550/1560 - If you focus is two channel, stay away from AV recievers. In general they do not do anything overly well, except be a one box solution. A preamp/amp combo with an external DAC will peform much better.

I don't know much about those digital all in one boxes.

IMO if you want to stay rotel you should go for something like the RC-1550/1580 paired up with an RB-1552/1582. I would not go for the Class D 1562/1572 based on my own auditioning with B&W speakers and Rotel Class D amps. But your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ColtraneLane
      • Sep 2011

Interesting. Maybe I am misreading this post and some of the others on this forum, but I don't see a lot of excitement for the new Rotel integrateds. I really want to like the RCX-1500 or the RA-1520 or RA-06, but with so little information and real-world support it makes it difficult. Are people just going to other brands? Really surprising and tough to figure out.

Comment

• bebop
        • Aug 2011

Have you had a chance to audition any of the Rotel amps with the CM7?

When I was in the market for a 2 channel setup, I listen to a number of different combinations and settled with the RA1520 with CM5. My criteria is simple though, as long as it gets my toes tapping, I'm happy, so I'm not really an audiophile.

It would be interesting to see how the Rega Brio-R goes with the CM7. The Rega DAC really improved my system and I'm very happy with it.
        Analogue Source: Rega P1 w/ Ortofon OM30, Digital Source: Mac Mini (late 2009), PS3 -> Rega DAC -> Amplification: Rotel RA-1520 -> Speakers: B&W CM5, Wharfedale SW150

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"