X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Design4
    • Dec 2011

Rotel RSP-1069 dead?

Hey guys,

I posted this on another forum but had no responses. Hopefully I'll have a little bit more luck here. Basically, I bought a Rotel RSP-1069 a few months ago second hand and for the most part it worked beautifully. However, I was having the infamous handshake issues with the HDMI output and decided to update the scaler software. Everything went smoothly until I restarted the processor after the update... at which point it refused to turn on. No LED light, no nothing.

I emailed Rotel about a week ago and still haven't heard back from them. I was just wondering if there was maybe something I can try to do to maybe bring the thing back to life before potentially taking it for repair.

Also, I know the warranty is not transferable. Does that essentially mean I'm screwed? I'm a little ticked of course because the thing wasn't cheap and I didn't even have time to enjoy it before it went kaput. If I knew updating the software was going to be so damn risky I would never have done it.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Yes the warranty isn't transferable, but I would suggest calling them. If they can't walk you through a way to resurrect it, they'll probably take care of it if you send it in.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Design4
      Hey guys,

I posted this on another forum but had no responses. Hopefully I'll have a little bit more luck here. Basically, I bought a Rotel RSP-1069 a few months ago second hand and for the most part it worked beautifully. However, I was having the infamous handshake issues with the HDMI output and decided to update the scaler software. Everything went smoothly until I restarted the processor after the update... at which point it refused to turn on. No LED light, no nothing.

I emailed Rotel about a week ago and still haven't heard back from them. I was just wondering if there was maybe something I can try to do to maybe bring the thing back to life before potentially taking it for repair.

Also, I know the warranty is not transferable. Does that essentially mean I'm screwed? I'm a little ticked of course because the thing wasn't cheap and I didn't even have time to enjoy it before it went kaput. If I knew updating the software was going to be so damn risky I would never have done it.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Firmware updates scare the hell outta' me normally because they are inherently risky by nature. I remember I did one on my Oppo dvd player and there were skulls and bones warnings that the player could end up unusable if done improperly. As stated above, contact Rotel and see if someone can walk you through getting it restored. You may end up having to de-firmware back to the old firmware version. Good luck 8O
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Design4
        • Dec 2011

Thanks guys, I'll call Rotel tomorrow sometime

I really hope I can "de-firmware" it at this point, but considering the thing shows no sign of life I'm not going to get my hopes up too high

Comment

• Flackbocus
          • Jan 2012

Same problem here!

I have same problem and just curious to see if Rotel responded to you or if the de-firmware worked (or is even possible).

Thanks for your advice!

Comment

• Highfield
            • Jan 2012

I had a very similar episode with my RSP 1068 which appeared dead on upgrading the firmware. I can't remember exactly what happened during the start of the upgrade but I do remember hitting the disconnect button using the MTTTY terminal program at one stage. Anyhow, the unit was quite dead - the display was dark and the front and rear switches wouldn't operate the unit - I thought I'd killed it! However, upon removing the firmware upgrade serial cable and flicking the rear dip switches back into the off position, the unit came back to life. So I'm wondering if your unit has the same rear switches and that you've returned them to the off position and removed the serial cable? Just a thought as sometimes when in a panic it's easy to overlook a stage ...

Comment

• Flackbocus
              • Jan 2012

Still dead

Thanks for the advice, though the 1069 doesn't have the rear switches. I tried the force upgrade method, but I can't connect to the unit. My guess is that maybe it could be a power issue and not a firmware problem?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

With the RSP-1069, if you brick it in the middle of a firmware update you need to send it in. With the RSP-1570 there's a button on the digital board that you can press to do a forced upgrade but the RSP-1069 doesn't have that. It happened to me on a store demo RSP-1069 and I had to send it in. It won't do anything at all, no lights at all, when a firmware update didn't work. It may be a power issue, but I doubt it.

Eric

Comment

• Flackbocus
                  • Jan 2012

Thanks

Awesome, thanks for the input. Any guess on cost to get up and running?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

I'm not sure what it would cost to get it running again. If it is a firmware issue, they MIGHT take care of it at no charge. If it is something else it just depends on what the issue is. The best thing to do is call them and explain what happened. If you can, get it touch with Mike Sheehan in tech support (I'm assuming your in the US). He's great to deal with and will take care of you.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"