RSP1069 and low bass issue (long....sorry!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roscoe62
    • Nov 2003

RSP1069 and low bass issue (long....sorry!)

Hi all,

A few months ago I purchased a Rotel RSP1069 pre/pro to replace my aging Rotel RSP976. The main feature I wanted was the ability to process multi-channel PCM audio via HDMI. It took several months to get it integrated into my system, get the control side of things sorted out etc. I use a Rotel RB991 to drive the front pair of speakers (Theophany M3’s) and a Rotel RB993 to drive the center (Theophany C3) and surrounds (a pair of Theophany S5’s). I also have an M&K V125 sub. Finally I had a good listening session to both movies and music and I was pretty disappointed in what I found.

While listening to movie soundtracks it was hard to identify what the issue was. The volume was quite low – explosions and passages with a lot of bass impact sounded OK, but the musical score in some movie soundtracks just seemed to be lacking something. It was while listening to music that the issue became more obvious. The volume was definitely lower than I’d expect given the quality and power rating of the power amps, but bass was downright anemic. It’s hard to prove but I think the issue I’m hearing while listening to music also exists while listening to movie soundtracks. Anything coming out of the sub is OK, but bass in the main, center or rear speakers is DEFINITELY lacking.

Because the speakers (not the sub) are new I initially thought they might be the culprits. When I auditioned the models I eventually chose they sounded fantastic. They’re never going to be bass monsters, but what I’m hearing seems to be missing the bottom 2-3 octaves. Something’s definitely WRONG.

I contacted the speaker manufacturer and he suggested some tests to help isolate where the problem might be occurring. I’ll outline those here.

Test 1 – move speakers outside – I connected up the main front speakers to a JVC receiver and a Pioneer 717 DVD player (just used rca left & right to attach the DVD player to the receiver). This test should isolate the speakers. Result – playing music back I noticed the volume was much better and the bass was greatly improved. Conclusion – the problem is NOT the speakers.

Test 2 – put main front speakers back in the listening room in the same postion as before. Hook up the JVC receiver and the Pioneer DVD player and play the music again. Knowing the speakers are not the issue this should reveal whether the problem is the room, or the speaker position/room relationship. Result – Again, the volume was better and the bass was greatly improved. Conclusion – the problem is NOT the speaker position or the room itself.

Test 3 – I replaced the main source component (a HTPC) with the Pioneer DVD player to see if the source was the issue. Additionally in this test I connected via left + right rca plugs and also via digital coax. Result – in both cases it made no difference. The volume was still down, and the bass was just as weak. Conclusion – the problem is NOT the source.

Test 4 – I replaced the Rotel RSP1069 with my old RSP976 processor. Bingo! Result – the volume improved and the bass was much better. Conclusion – the problem lies somewhere with the RSP1069.

At this stage I think it must be either a configuation issue or a hardware fault. I’m hoping it’s the former as it would be a major hassle to lose the unit for a month or so while it gets looked at.

I currently have all 5 main speakers set as LARGE. I don’t really understand all the different settings in the sub menu or the advanced speaker settings, and the manual does a RUBBISH job in explaining them, so it’s possible I could have a setting wrong there somewhere.

It’s taken me a LONG time to finally determine it’s the RSP1069 causing the problem and I’m grateful for ANY advice offered. I would love to finally hear what my speakers are capable of through the 1069, but I need to know how to correctly configure it. It’s certainly more complicated than the old 976.

PLEASE HELP!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The volume level is different on the newer stuff. The number is arbitrary. Aside from the low bass, will the system play loud at any volume number? I would expect normal listening to be around 60, movies and spirited music between 70 & 80.

Very few speakers would be considered large. Definitely set them all to small, sub to yes. Center and surround crossovers I would place at 80. Sub crossover set to 80. Try the fronts set to 60 to start. Might try 80 on those as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• roscoe62
      • Nov 2003

First off, thank you Kevin for your reply. I'm very grateful for your feedback and advice.

Secondly...WOW!!! You'd really expect to be up to 70-80 for movie soundtracks?? The volume control only goes to 90! But, to answer your question, yes - it will play loud enough but only when the volume is set very high - typically 70-75-ish for movies. There must be some SERIOUS attenuation going on within the 1069.

As far as the bass goes, I do understand what you're saying about setting the speakers to small and then allowing bass management to offload the lows to the sub. However, I'm finding it hard to swallow that a 100wpc receiver can get my main speakers to deliver superior bass with all settings flat when compared to the 1069 / 200wpc rb991 combo when not using bass management.

It's like - to begin with, I'd just like to hear what the main speakers can do before offloading any bass to the sub. In fairness I probably will end up setting the 1069 to offload some bass to the sub, but it almost seems like the 1069, in it's current configuration, won't allow me to properly hear what
      my mains can do. It's already rolling the bottom end off - and I don't know how to get it to STOP doing that.

I will probably spend a fair amount of time this weekend playing with the different settings, but I'm wondering if I could hear my mains "in the raw" if I told the 1069 I don't have a sub. Would that work?

Again, thank you for your advice!

Comment

• sirbogey
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
        Definitely set them all to small, sub to yes. Center and surround crossovers I would place at 80. Sub crossover set to 80. Try the fronts set to 60 to start. Might try 80 on those as well.
        Fully agreed! These have been my settings for years..

Comment

• roscoe62
          • Nov 2003

Well, I will definitely try this out over this weekend, but it STILL strikes me as madness that when you set speakers as LARGE the Rotel is still applying some low-end rolloff.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

You can listen to a CD using the mutli-channel inputs. That will take any form of processing out of the equation.

Kevin D.

Comment

• roscoe62
              • Nov 2003

Thanks Kevin,

I will have do a lot of experimenting this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"