X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Rotel RSP-1069 VS McIntosh MX119 Processors

Hey All,

Need advice from the trusty board. Currently I have a Rotel RSX-1057 and am using as my Processor powering my MAC MC205. With a budget of $3000 I can get either the RSP-1069 or a used MX119.

I will be connecting the processor to my PS3 via HDMI for the RSP1069 or optical on the MX119.

Would you go with the RSP-1069 with the latest HT encodings (DTS MA, DD TrueHD) or a used MX-119 and keeping with standard formats (DD 5.1, DTS)??? I read the new HD formats sound incredible! :E

This is a tough one...what is your choice and WHY?

BTW, this would power:

803S
    HTM3S
    SCMS
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by scanido
    Hey All,

Need advice from the trusty board. Currently I have a Rotel RSX-1057 and am using as my Processor powering my MAC MC205. With a budget of $3000 I can get either the RSP-1069 or a used MX119.

I will be connecting the processor to my PS3 via HDMI for the RSP1069 or optical on the MX119.

Would you go with the RSP-1069 with the latest HT encodings (DTS MA, DD TrueHD) or a used MX-119 and keeping with standard formats (DD 5.1, DTS)??? I read the new HD formats sound incredible! :E

This is a tough one...what is your choice and WHY?

BTW, this would power:

803S
    HTM3S
    SCMS
    The 1069 cannot decode the new formats. It can, however, do full bandwidth 7.1 PCM through HDMI (decoding has to be done by the player). I'm not sure if the Mc has HDMI connections, if it does then it can probably do the same. If you're in the market for a new processor I would not buy one without HDMI, period.

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

You should search for an MX-120 from McIntosh, it has HDMI

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jericho
        You should search for an MX-120 from McIntosh, it has HDMI

Unfortunately, it does not support the new HD formats via HDMI and only adds HDMI switching over the MX-119.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

I guess what i'm trying to get at is; will the RSP-1069 with the LPCM streaming of the new HD formats be better, in terms of sound quality in movies, than an MX-119 with ordinary DD 5.1, DTS via it's optical connection.

Both are the same price. Would you go with one that supports the new formats and is newer in technology (RSP-1069), or go with the higher-end Mac ?

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by scanido
            I guess what i'm trying to get at is; will the RSP-1069 with the LPCM streaming of the new HD formats be better, in terms of sound quality in movies, than an MX-119 with ordinary DD 5.1, DTS via it's optical connection.

Both are the same price. Would you go with one that supports the new formats and is newer in technology (RSP-1069), or go with the higher-end Mac ?
            I'm surprised that an HDMI compliant processor cannot handle 7.1 PCM, that ability is part of the HDMI 1.1 standard (the MC).
            Again I want to stress the 1069 will not decode DTS HD nor dolby HD the decoding has to be in the player. At present only a couple of receivers can decode the formats since to stream the native format HDMI 3.0 is required.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
              • Feb 2008

scanido: Why not utilise a bluray player the supports output of the HD formats via analog and then utilise the analog inputs on the processor? This will leave all the decoding to be done by the player and then send it to your processor/amp, you then have no need to have HDMI etc...
              SoundEngine355

-------------------
              [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                • Feb 2008

SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                  • Feb 2008

Check out the latest innovations, partnerships and videos from DTS including the award winning DTS:X immersive audio, next-gen infotainment and AI-powered in cabin safety experiences in our connected car technology, and all of the creator and tournament activations within gaming!
                  SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

That's why the Integra DTC-9.8 is such a hot item right now. It does it all for a list price of about $1,600. This item has received very good reviews, and a dealer friend of mine says he can't keep them in the store long enough to even have one as a demo.

The more I think about this piece, the more I may jump on one myself. The only limitation seems to be 2 channel listening, which I would keep my Classe CP-500. I'm just kind of waiting until the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player hits the market and will probably get one then.

IMO, first and foremost, the HT processor should have all the bells and whistles.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                      • Feb 2008

Well I believe the Classe or Mcintosh over the Integra for the latest HD formats, just using analog connections from the player.

Internals components are far superior to the Integra.
                      SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                        Well I believe the Classe or Mcintosh over the Integra for the latest HD formats, just using analog connections from the player.

Internals components are far superior to the Integra.
                        I'm interested in your experience as to which specific internals are better in the Classe or McIntosh, and how do these units compare in features?

Actually, they should be better internals for more than 4X the cost in the Classe processor coming out, but for HT, I'd like to see what I may have missed in my evaluation.

Also, why would anyone choose to use analog connections for HD when lossless formats are through HDMI?

Comment

• Tommy
                          • Dec 2006

MX119 is basically the same as MX120, but w/o HDMI. I would go with the MX119. The Mac will sound better than the Rotel if you run analogue out from the player into the processor.

Comment

• scanido
                            • Apr 2006

scanido: Why not utilise a bluray player the supports output of the HD formats via analog and then utilise the analog inputs on the processor? This will leave all the decoding to be done by the player and then send it to your processor/amp, you then have no need to have HDMI etc...
                            If that was the case, then i could simply use my RSX-1057 with it's analog inputs. Not exactly the upgrade i'm looking for.

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tommy
                              MX119 is basically the same as MX120, but w/o HDMI. I would go with the MX119. The Mac will sound better than the Rotel if you run analogue out from the player into the processor.
                              Thanks. I'm sure via the analog inputs, the MAC would best the Rotel. But that was not my question.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

Nice try. However, no blueray player that I know of outputs 7.1 through analog. Even my sony 2000es is limited to 5.1 analog outputs. 7.1 is only through HDMI.
                                Plus, its a pain in the butt. My blueray is 10 feet away from my processor, why thread 7 audio cables (if it were possible) plus 3 video cables (for component) when you can do it all with 1 digital connection???? Better yet you can buy the cheapest HDMI cable you want, since its digital there is no issue with length, resistance, impedance or any of that jazz. HDMI (or any digital connection for that matter has 2 levels of quality on and off (no snake oil required) :W
                                If you're buying something new it would be simply dumb to buy a non HDMI component, might as well keep what you have till you can get an HDMI one. Another advantage of HDMI that no one talks about is that is bidirectional. Your blueray player can "communicate" with your TV and the best possible setup is automatic, things such 1080p, 24 frames per second and so on are setup automatically. That is one of the nice things about the 1069 and HDMI 1080p signals are untouched, they simply pass straight through.
                                Just buy the 1069, I'm thoroughly happy with mine with audio and video, plus it has that all important connection (HDMI) that makes all old ones obsolete. :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Tommy
                                  Maybe for stereo, for video and surround I highly doubt that there is any difference whatsoever. The 1069 uses all the latest and gratest "chips" thus I highly doubt that the mc will best it there, at best it will sound the same.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                    Nice try. However, no blueray player that I know of outputs 7.1 through analog. Even my sony 2000es is limited to 5.1 analog outputs. 7.1 is only through HDMI.
                                    Plus, its a pain in the butt. My blueray is 10 feet away from my processor, why thread 7 audio cables (if it were possible) plus 3 video cables (for component) when you can do it all with 1 digital connection???? Better yet you can buy the cheapest HDMI cable you want, since its digital there is no issue with length, resistance, impedance or any of that jazz. HDMI (or any digital connection for that matter has 2 levels of quality on and off (no snake oil required) :W
                                    If you're buying something new it would be simply dumb to buy a non HDMI component, might as well keep what you have till you can get an HDMI one. Another advantage of HDMI that no one talks about is that is bidirectional. Your blueray player can "communicate" with your TV and the best possible setup is automatic, things such 1080p, 24 frames per second and so on are setup automatically. That is one of the nice things about the 1069 and HDMI 1080p signals are untouched, they simply pass straight through.
                                    Just buy the 1069, I'm thoroughly happy with mine with audio and video, plus it has that all important connection (HDMI) that makes all old ones obsolete. :T

Check it out for yourself:

SoundEngine355

-------------------

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Looks like the BDP-S550 will which is the one I'm waiting on more then likely.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

scanido,

There was a similar discussion between Rotel and Classe you may (or may not) find helpful to your situation.

Is it worth it - from Rotel to Classe

Lossy vs new lossless/PCM formats.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DL86
                                          • Sep 2005

If the rotel can do everything the mac can do. Go for the rotel I highly doubt there will be much difference other than a rediculous price tag on the mac.

Comment

• style
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2006

Hi scanido,

The Rsp1069 is sure more a good pre/pro but not so different as the 1068...
                                            (ok, hdmi,but not new decoding, sound is the same as 1068 ca....,...)

the MC mx119 is a old version without hdmi, new is sure overpriced, better sound with your MC205 is the better solution. as Rotel 1069.. but in a paar years (one?!) wil be replaced.

The new mx120 with hdmi, is a good gear, but xlr only for left&right, no new decoding, (inside a Denon machine!9,...

--> save yaour money!!! or got with a simply Denno 3808/4308 to "testing" the new sound decoding....

The MX136 is the Top but for have the best resultat yuo muus have a scaler like DVDO or the MC VP1000... and the combo is expensive...

I want to change too the pre/pro but at the moment with Rotel 1068 the 1069 don't pay, the MC120 is without doubt the better solution (with your MC205) but in second hand in Europa/Switzerland is always to expensive.

Save money and with a bigger budget.... WAIT.!

omar

Comment

• lvhung
                                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                              That's why the Integra DTC-9.8 is such a hot item right now. It does it all for a list price of about $1,600. This item has received very good reviews, and a dealer friend of mine says he can't keep them in the store long enough to even have one as a demo.

The more I think about this piece, the more I may jump on one myself. The only limitation seems to be 2 channel listening, which I would keep my Classe CP-500. I'm just kind of waiting until the new Panasonic Blu-Ray player hits the market and will probably get one then.

IMO, first and foremost, the HT processor should have all the bells and whistles.
                                              I dont beleive that 1.3 of Integra will sound better than Rotel 1069 1.1 or old Mac pro

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2003

Guys,

This is not really B&W related (even though we are all a bunch of great guys of course!)... So I will give it another day and then move this to the home theatre forum where you may get a difference audience!

Geoff

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                  Guys,

This is not really B&W related (even though we are all a bunch of great guys of course!)... So I will give it another day and then move this to the home theatre forum where you may get a difference audience!

Geoff
                                                  Why not just move it to the rotel area?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                    • Jul 2006

Most of the 7.1 analog output players on the list are previews of comming attractions, for example, the sony 550. However, when they do start comming out in numbers that doesn't solve the 10 cable dilema!
                                                    The good news is that if you have a processor as the 1068 it won't be obsolete because you can still get the new formats by analog connection, but you don't get the additional HDMI video goodies (1080p, bidirectional interface, etc). However, if your buying a new processor, what would you choose, 10 cables or 1???? From just the cable price perspective: one 3 meter HDMI 50 bucks, 10 good quality analog cables 50 bucks a pair, 250!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2007

If you are using the analog outpus from a BD player to a processor you are at the mercy of the DACs and the analog stage of the BD player. On top of that I haven't seen any player other than the Denon DVD-3800BDCI that has speaker distance and level for the analog outputs.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                        If you are using the analog outpus from a BD player to a processor you are at the mercy of the DACs and the analog stage of the BD player. On top of that I haven't seen any player other than the Denon DVD-3800BDCI that has speaker distance and level for the analog outputs.

Eric
                                                        This Denon is truely the snizzle but at over 2K its price is completely crazy. I even thought it 3 times before buying the sony ES and it was almost 1K less! When you get to the nitty gritty the HD players are glorified DVD players and you can buy a DVD player for 50 bucks! HD is great and definitely better than DVD but its not 40 times better!!!! With CGI movies such as the "Corpses Bride" and its ilk the difference is minuscule indeed since the original digital format of the movie is DVD quality to begin with!!!!!! Like everything its important to keep some perspective.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                                          This Denon is truely the snizzle but at over 2K its price is completely crazy. I even thought it 3 times before buying the sony ES and it was almost 1K less! When you get to the nitty gritty the HD players are glorified DVD players and you can buy a DVD player for 50 bucks! HD is great and definitely better than DVD but its not 40 times better!!!! With CGI movies such as the "Corpses Bride" and its ilk the difference is minuscule indeed since the original digital format of the movie is DVD quality to begin with!!!!!! Like everything its important to keep some perspective.
                                                          I didn't mention the Denon to imply that it's the only choice out there. It just happens to be the only one that I know of that will do proper speaker configuration, delay and bass management in the player. It also happens to be a great sounding and great looking player. It is the first player that I've seen that really out performs other BD players playing BD discs. It has better contrast and color balance than any other I've seen. It's DVD play back is awesome as well. It equals the DVD-3930CI in every way for DVD playback. All of that comes at a cost and it's not the right player for everybody.

The next question is whether or not the next crop of BD players will do speaker configuration, delay and bass management properly. Time will tell. Even if they do, you still have the DACs and analog section you will listen to with a preamp like the MX-119 or MX-120.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                            I didn't mention the Denon to imply that it's the only choice out there. It just happens to be the only one that I know of that will do proper speaker configuration, delay and bass management in the player. It also happens to be a great sounding and great looking player. It is the first player that I've seen that really out performs other BD players playing BD discs. It has better contrast and color balance than any other I've seen. It's DVD play back is awesome as well. It equals the DVD-3930CI in every way for DVD playback. All of that comes at a cost and it's not the right player for everybody.

The next question is whether or not the next crop of BD players will do speaker configuration, delay and bass management properly. Time will tell. Even if they do, you still have the DACs and analog section you will listen to with a preamp like the MX-119 or MX-120.
                                                            Eric
                                                            Another point for the 1069, speaker config, delay and all other setup goodies are done in the processor even for PCM input, thus its not a problem! BTW I'm not putting the denon down its a fabulous player, just expensive, I'm sure the Mc 120 is also first rate:T

Comment

• scanido
                                                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                              scanido,

There was a similar discussion between Rotel and Classe you may (or may not) find helpful to your situation.

Is it worth it - from Rotel to Classe

Lossy vs new lossless/PCM formats.

Thanks Rebel!

Lot's of informative info to think about in those threads.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"