X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmilSA
    • Feb 2012

3D Pass-thru on Rotel RSP-1069

Originally posted by ldgibson76
    Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF A-weighted) in all three processors (1069,1570 and 1572) are as follows.
    95dB (analog bypass)
    92dB (Dolby Digital, DTS) 0 dBFs

And contrary to popular belief, all three Rotel's pass 3D video! All three have a pass-thru setting.
    If I do get my RSP-1069 working again I would be interested to know how to get the 3D pass-thru setting working on this old processor.

Please let me know where I can get this info.

Comment

• ldgibson76
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by EmilSA
      If I do get my RSP-1069 working again I would be interested to know how to get the 3D pass-thru setting working on this old processor.

Please let me know where I can get this info.
      Hello EmilSA.

I want to apologize to you for the mis-information I provided regarding the RSP-1069 and it's video pass-thru feature. I said that 3D can be passed thru the HDMI v1.1 connection. I was wrong. I actually spoke with a Rotel service rep at Rotel N.A. and he clarified that v1.1 is incapable of accommodating that much bandwidth. So the only way to experience 3D while using a RSP-1069 is 1) bypassing the 1069 and routing the HDMI straight from the 3D player to a 3D panel or 2) having a 3D player with 2 HDMI outs, routing one cable to the 1069 for (LPCM) hi-rez audio and routing the other to the TV for 3D video.

Only the 1570 w/firmware update and the 1572 can pass a 3D signal.
      Again, I stand corrected. You and anyone else that read that post, have my deepest apologies.
      Regards,

ldgibson76
      My Setup
      The 2 Channel Within
      "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
      -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
      -Douglas Adams

Comment

• EmilSA
        • Feb 2012

I must admit I was rather skeptical of the HDMI v1.1 passing 3D. However, I was thinking of getting a Blu-ray player with two HDMI outputs and running one directly to my new Panasonic 3D projector. Will the processor accept Tru-HD / DTS Master audio via LPCM and HDMI, or am I understanding this wrong? I was actually thinking of just feeding analogue 7.1 into the processor, but I guess one HDMI cable could be a cheaper option if it will work.

Comment

• ldgibson76
          • Aug 2011

I must admit I was rather skeptical of the HDMI v1.1 passing 3D. However, I was thinking of getting a Blu-ray player with two HDMI outputs and running one directly to my new Panasonic 3D projector. Will the processor accept Tru-HD / DTS Master audio via LPCM and HDMI, or am I understanding this wrong? I was actually thinking of just feeding analogue 7.1 into the processor, but I guess one HDMI cable could be a cheaper option if it will work.

Yes, I know this for a fact because that's how I have my system configured. I received Hi-Rez in LPCM via HDMI from the Blu-ray player to the 1069. It works great.
          Regards,

ldgibson76
          My Setup
          The 2 Channel Within
          -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• EmilSA
            • Feb 2012

ldgibson76 - thanks for that bit of info! I might contact you directly to find out more about this. What does the processor display? Multichannel or something else? And what version HDMI do I need to get this working? I was thinking of getting one long Audioquest Cinnamon cable to the Projector and a shorter one to the processor for the sound, but if I don't need the latest an greatest I may be able to save some money.

Comment

• x43x
              • Sep 2007

Upgraded to the Rotel this afternoon. It's like I'm hearing the tweeters on my B&Ws for the first time. Holy smokes. Sounds amazing and I've only set speaker distances. Can't wait to EQ it proper. Updated the firmware at the dealer before taking it home.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by x43x
                Upgraded to the Rotel this afternoon. It's like I'm hearing the tweeters on my B&Ws for the first time. Holy smokes. Sounds amazing and I've only set speaker distances. Can't wait to EQ it proper. Updated the firmware at the dealer before taking it home.

Very nice!!. Not surprised at all that your hearing a difference !! :T
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• EmilSA
                  • Feb 2012

So what I'm reading here is that I'm doing myself a major disfavor by sitting with a RSP-1069 and B&W Diamond tweeters?

Comment

• ldgibson76
                    • Aug 2011

x43x,

Congrats on the new RSP-1572. If you don't mind me asking, what did the Rotel replace? The reason I'm asking is mainly because of EmilSA's inquiry.
                    Regards,

ldgibson76
                    My Setup
                    The 2 Channel Within
                    -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• ldgibson76
                      • Aug 2011

So what I'm reading here is that I'm doing myself a major disfavor by sitting with a RSP-1069 and B&W Diamond tweeters?
                      What brought you to that assessment?! :huh:

From where I'm sitting, it seems as if you are assuming that x43x's new RSP-1572 replaced a RSP-1069. Do you know this to be the case?

My point is, looking at the specifications of both the 1572 and the 1069, what sticks out to me is that for the most part, they are identical. Other than power consumption (80W vs. 60W), weight difference (18.5 lbs vs. 21lbs) and feature set, audio measurements are identical.

So no, I don't think you are doing yourself a disfavor by as you described it, "sitting by the 1069", unless you want the video processing enhancements of the newer Faroudja chip and the pre-pro's ability to decode hi-rez audio. I'm just sayin'.

RSP-1069

1572's Owner's Manual
                      Scroll down the spec page.
                      Last edited by ldgibson76; 27 March 2012, 18:03 Tuesday.
                      Regards,

ldgibson76
                      My Setup
                      The 2 Channel Within
                      -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• x43x
                        • Sep 2007

^^
                        Don't forget about the Parametric EQ.

I replaced an Onkyo 805 that I was using as a preamp to a Rotel 1075. Now that everything matches my ears are much happier. I didn't realize how warm the Onkyo made everything.

One thing I don't like is not having the ability to turn off the OSD. Pretty annoying when a movie starts and I get the display to tell me of the processing change. A call to customer service revealed they have heard that a lot and are working on adding an ON/OFF option in the menu. Hope it's soon!

Comment

• ldgibson76
                          • Aug 2011

^^
                          Don't forget about the Parametric EQ.

I replaced an Onkyo 805 that I was using as a preamp to a Rotel 1075. Now that everything matches my ears are much happier. I didn't realize how warm the Onkyo made everything.

One thing I don't like is not having the ability to turn off the OSD. Pretty annoying when a movie starts and I get the display to tell me of the processing change. A call to customer service revealed they have heard that a lot and are working on adding an ON/OFF option in the menu. Hope it's soon!
                          Hello x43x.

Thank you for the response and thank you for mentioning the Parametric EQ. I really thought I included that feature, but I must have deleted it when I was editing my comment. Anyway, I understand what you are saying when it comes to experiencing the Rotel sound for the first time. I had a Marantz SR9300 AVR and MM9000 MC Amp before. And I really thought that combo sounded great, especially with the Klipsch Reference speakers. Then I connected the Rotel processor and Anthem amps to the Klipsch's, man was I surprised by the improvement in sound quality. It's amazing what properly implemented dac's and clean current can do for your system.

The 1069 is not the 1572 by no stretch of the imagination, but the DNA is the same. Rotel is an audio first company and that's why I opted for the 1069. Just to give me an introduction. I will eventually upgrade to the 1570 or if the finances are worthy, the 1572.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the other devices in your set up?
                          Regards,

ldgibson76
                          My Setup
                          The 2 Channel Within
                          -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• x43x
                            • Sep 2007

Hope you don't mind a copy and paste. It's a pretty simple setup.

Pioneer Pro-151FD, Calibrated by David Abrams of Avical
                            B&W 704 Fronts, Rosewood color w/Sound Anchor Stands
                            B&W HTM7 Center
                            B&W DS3 Rears
                            Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer
                            Rotel RSP-1572
                            Rotel RMB-1075
                            Oppo BDP-83
                            Playstation 3 80gb w/PS2 BC
                            Anti-Cable Speaker Cable and Interconnects
                            Custom Stand by Adona Corporation

Comment

• ldgibson76
                              • Aug 2011

Hope you don't mind a copy and paste. It's a pretty simple setup.

Pioneer Pro-151FD, Calibrated by David Abrams of Avical
                              B&W 704 Fronts, Rosewood color w/Sound Anchor Stands
                              B&W HTM7 Center
                              B&W DS3 Rears
                              Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer
                              Rotel RSP-1572
                              Rotel RMB-1075
                              Oppo BDP-83
                              Playstation 3 80gb w/PS2 BC
                              Anti-Cable Speaker Cable and Interconnects
                              Custom Stand by Adona Corporation
                              The only thing simple about your system is the configuration. Simplistic and efficient, but very formidable! Very impressive indeed. When compared to my setup, mine seems overpopulated! But you should have seen my system before the current configuration! It was nuts! 8O There was actually 16 devices that made up the old setup. A lot of redundancy is an understatement. The system has lost a lot of weight since.

Once you get the Rotel honed in with the EQ settings, can you do an comparison between the Oppo BDP-83 and the 1572 audio DAC's for 2 channel playback? I often compare my 1069 to my Denon DVD-3930CI and Sony BDP-S5000ES. Sometimes, the Rotel doing the processing sounds better, other times, the players processing sound better. Depends on the content. :huh:
                              Regards,

ldgibson76
                              My Setup
                              The 2 Channel Within
                              -Louis Pasteur

-Douglas Adams

Comment

• x43x
                                • Sep 2007

I live in a condo, so room limitation is my biggest setback as far as adding devices is concerned

I just ordered the XTZ Room Analyzer and can't wait to dig in.

I'll try that DAC test. When listening to CD's with the Onkyo, I preferred to use the Oppo's analog outs. I'm also going to see if I can hear any difference between the Oppo and PS3 in regards to CD playback via HDMI, since the PS3 can upsample to 176kHz.

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by ldgibson76
                                  I hope you do not feel I'm being facetious because I'm not. I know when I'm in the presence of GURU-DOM!
                                  Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a Guru none can cross over to the other shore.

~Guru Nanak

Comment

• x43x
                                    • Sep 2007

I had a couple hours to play with XTZ and the Parametric EQ. Pretty cool stuff. I only used the first 5 bands. Need to play around some more....

Before

After

Comment

• Sackrat
                                      • Oct 2011

x43x I would like to know which version of XTZ you used to smooth out your room EQ. I like the results you showed and I am interested to do the same with my RSP-1572. Thanks

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2006

Either Pro version should work fine. Procedure described here: http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-53
                                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

V impressive results! :T
                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• x43x
                                            • Sep 2007

I purchased the standard version, not the pro. The mic isn't as fancy, it doesn't have decay waterfalls, or the simulation tone. But I found dragging the graph and creating my own Modes, then entering them myself on the Rotel was easy enough, and you save a few bucks. It would be interesting to see the waterfall though.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2006

I purchased the standard version, not the pro. The mic isn't as fancy, it doesn't have decay waterfalls, or the simulation tone. But I found dragging the graph and creating my own Modes, then entering them myself on the Rotel was easy enough, and you save a few bucks. It would be interesting to see the waterfall though.
                                              IMHO, the waterfalls are as or more important.
                                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• x43x
                                                • Sep 2007

Probably. I am happy with how things sound now though. If I had a dedicated home theater room I would be more apt to spend more on room treatments and analyzing equipment. As it stands now, I live in a condo where the dining room and kitchen are all a connected and a part of the living room, and room treatments are out of the question. I was quite surprised to get the response I did however, with the room shape as it is.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"