X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

RSP 1572 hot

Hi guys

My rsp1572 is warm during standby. Is this normal?
    During operation it gets very hot. Last night I passed out during a movie and it was off when I woke up which I suspect it may have gone into protection.

Does yours get very hot during operation and warm in standby?
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

Someone must have something to say out there

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

If it has gone into thermal protection mode there is obviously something amiss.
      Is your unit getting proper ventilation?
      Have you moved it to a new location that is more restrictive to air flow?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TimbaLand
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
        If it has gone into thermal protection mode there is obviously something amiss.
        Is your unit getting proper ventilation?
        Have you moved it to a new location that is more restrictive to air flow?
        I'm not sure if it went into protection or if it switched off because the movie ended. It is in an enclosed cabinet with opening at the back and front. I once took it out of the cabinet and ran it on an open shelf but it was still very not. What amazes me is that even in standby mode it is warm. Is this normal for the rsp1572? Rotel told me this is normal.

I'm now using a computer and it completely cools it down. The fan is operated by the processor's 12v trigger. I find its now cooler during operation as the fan is triggered than when its on standby. Standby is not hot though but just warm.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

The Rotel manual will tell you the required 'breathing' clearances required for the unit. I would recommend that you comply with them. If the unit still shuts down with those clearances, then there is likely another issue at hand.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TimbaLand
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by madmac
            The Rotel manual will tell you the required 'breathing' clearances required for the unit. I would recommend that you comply with them. If the unit still shuts down with those clearances, then there is likely another issue at hand.
            I doubt clearance is the issue as I have said that I took it out of the cabinet and it was still hot. Im not sure if the switching off was a result of overheating as i said already that i passed out and the movie ended so it could be that it switched off as it wasnt receiving any signal. Rotel people says its normal for this units to run hot. I just wanna find out from other owners of the rsp1572 how hot theirs are

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

We will need to be patient as we wait for anyone who has this unit to chime in.
              I do not remember hearing anything about the unit running particularly warm in any of the reviews, but it has been a while since I read them.
              In the meantime, have you had any contact with or response from your dealer or Rotel regarding the issue?
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TimbaLand
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
                We will need to be patient as we wait for anyone who has this unit to chime in.
                I do not remember hearing anything about the unit running particularly warm in any of the reviews, but it has been a while since I read them.
                In the meantime, have you had any contact with or response from your dealer or Rotel regarding the issue?
                They say its normal because of all the processing that it does

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Well I suppose that provides a bit of relief, but still a bit vague at the same time.

I would suggest trying to obtain a direct thermal reading using a thermometer.
                  If you have a kitchen thermometer, that may prove sufficient.
                  Lay it with the tip of the probe as near to the warmest zone on the unit.
                  Allow the thermometer to stabilize while under your normal use.
                  Share the measurement & its location on the unit with us & Rotel.
                  Then see what everyone has to say.
                  Last edited by wkhanna; 22 October 2013, 19:54 Tuesday.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TimbaLand
                    • Aug 2013

I spoke to another RSP1572 owner and he says its normal as his unit gets hot also. He resorted to using a fan as well

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

A temperature controlled fan installed in the back of your cabinet might help out. It will trigger at the temperature you preset. I have two digital cable boxes in my HT cabinet that generate a lot of heat, even when off. To keep inside the cabinet cool, I run a cooling fan mounted on the rear panel 24/7. The following eBay store has great cooling systems. You can control the speed so that they run as quiet as you want.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

If this is what is required to have piece of mind after spending this kind on $ on a audio component, then I fully understand why Rotel's reputation is quickly fading into oblivion.

If on the other hand the unit is operating as intended, why is there no mention anywhere that I am aware of concerning this characteristic.
                        Did I just overlook it?
                        Is it in the owner's manual that I have not taken the time to read?
                        I do not remember Kal's review mentioning anything about the unit running warmer than would be expected.

All I can say is, if I had to resort to installing cooling fans on my audio equipment, a place were I am already doing all I can to isolate my system from electrical & ambient noise in first place in order to extract every bit of performance allowable, I would be looking at different equipment.

JMHO YMMV
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I don't think I'd like it if it ran warm in standby mode... it should not produce any real heat during that. During normal operation, I would think it should run warm, but not too hot to comfortably touch. That's always been my rule of thumb. I now have my RSP-1098 with an RT-1080 sitting directly on top and it's just barely warm after using it for long periods of time (hours)....

I'd think, even with as much as I love Rotel... I'd be tempted to look somewhee else if that's the case...
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"