X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Rotel RSP 1069

Hi all,

I seen a used RSP 1069 for sale. This unit has been discontinued since 08. I currently own a a 1068 preamp but was looking for hdmi connectivity for my bedroom so I can watch tv and listen to music and some movies. I know this has hdmi v. 1.1, no lossless decoding, I would have to ensure my blu ray can decode lossless and hook via multichannel analog input. Now I hear this sounds really good for music as well because of Burr Brown DAC's etc.

Anyone currently own one of these and if so, what is your experience with this preamp? I'm sitting on the fence right now based on the reasons described above. I appreciate any and all comments, suggestions from the forum. It's nice but my blu ray Sony doesn't have multichannel analog outputs. Thanks again everyone. Appreciate your feedback.
    :T

RoMan
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

No, the 1069 can play HD sound, it just can't decode it. To get lossless over HDMI, you need a player that can decode HD sound, then in the menu set secondary audio to off, and sound to PCM. Then the 1069 will play HD sound.
    As a comparison think off PCM as a text file, True-HD as that txt file compressed to zip, and Dts-HD as the txt file compressed to rar.

I own own one and highly recommend it, it has excellent stereo and surround performance. Only problem I can think of is, if you have a 7.1 setup and play a bluray with 5.1 (basically all of them), you get no sound for the 2 surround back channels.

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the comment hurin. No doubt this preamp would sound great in my bedroom. It's basically a 1068 with hdmi right? And better DAC's too. I seen it for 850.00 Cdn and was wondering if it's worth the price or just stick with my 1068 in my bedroom for now. I want to get a 37-40 inch flatscreen in my bedroom so the hdmi would come in handy but again I would need a blu ray player with multichannel inputs to enjoy blu ray lossless formats and that would cost way over my budget. I have a blu ray player without multichannel inputs. So my options are: 1. Buy a preamp with hdmi connectors 2. Buy a receiver with hdmi inputs 3. For go both and just purchase a stereo preamp controller like a Rotel RC 1080 and leave out the tv or 4. Or just keep what I have for now. I am considering buying a second CLR 2500 to make a stereo pair for my bedroom. I would still need a multichannel preamp if I want to add a centre to it later on so futureproofing for later would make a lot of sense.

Comment

• hurin
        • Sep 2009

Thanks for the comment hurin.
        Why? You either didn't read it or understand it.

but again I would need a blu ray player with multichannel inputs to enjoy blu ray lossless.
        No, which is a good thing since a player with audio inputs doesn't exist.

Comment

• RoMan
          • Jan 2007

Hurin, I understood perfectly what you said however I need to clarify and that'll be end of story. First off, I thanked you for your comments for highly recommending the RSP 1069 based on your experience. Secondly I'm seeking the forums thoughts and/or experience to what they think of that type of setup if they have a similar setup or leave a comment. I'm saying that with RSP 1069 I need to spend money buying a blu ray with multi channel inputs and that I have a blu ray player with just hdmi that I would like to utilize in my bedroom so the RSP 1069 does not decode lossless formats like the RSP 1570. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that part. I have a RSP 1570 already but I'm setting up something in my room that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks again.

RoMan

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Right, Hurin's saying that you can use your existing Blu-ray player with the 1069 and still enjoy lossless sountracks.

Unless it's on of the first one's to come out, most blu-ray players can decode all the formats internally and send the hi-resolution audio over HDMI as PCM format. The 1069 can handle multi-channel PCM no problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• RoMan
              • Jan 2007

I see now what you are both saying. I do stand corrected Hurin. Thannks Kevin. I guess I was thinking strictly multi channel analog like in the Oppo players where you can hook it up via multichannel input and set your HDMI to Off and you can listen that way to lossless soundtracks via analog inputs. So it's just a matter of the settings inside my blu ray player that I would set to PCM. I have the Sony BDP S360 that I would use for blu ray playback in my room. Ok, thanks again and now its making me rethink the whole situation. Much appreciated Hurin and Kevin. Thanks.

RoMan

Comment

• RoMan
                • Jan 2007

Quick update. I put an offer for the RSP 1069 to the seller. Awaiting word whether it suffices. Wait and see.

Comment

• RoMan
                  • Jan 2007

Update. I will be the proud owner of a used RSP 1069 in a few days. My offer was accepted. All is left to do is provide payment tomorrow and it will be shipped via FedEx fully insured. Should take 2-3 business days to arrive. Thanks Club Rotel for the responses and now the fun will begin. HT in my living room and a 2 channel setup in my bedroom. Next is a flatscreen and stand for my bedroom and I'm set for now. Cheers.

RoMan

Comment

• paolo137
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hurin
                    Only problem I can think of is, if you have a 7.1 setup and play a bluray with 5.1 (basically all of them), you get no sound for the 2 surround back channels.
                    Forgive me, Hurin, but it was my understanding that the 1069 (just like the 1068 or my current 1057) had the so-called "Rotel XS" feature, which enables the sixth and seventh channel even with digital inputs that don't feature those channels.

I'd be grateful if you could provide some feedback on that, because the 1069 is on my Santa's list... :W

Comment

• hurin
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by paolo137
                      Forgive me, Hurin, but it was my understanding that the 1069 (just like the 1068 or my current 1057) had the so-called "Rotel XS" feature, which enables the sixth and seventh channel even with digital inputs that don't feature those channels.
                      I don't know what the reason is. If you have a 7.1 setup, and play a movie with a 5.1 soundtrack, then the 1069 will create the two extra channel if it gets a DTS or a DD signal, but NOT if it gets multichannel PCM. And using multichannel PCM is the only way to get HD sound over HDMI.

Comment

• paolo137
                        • Apr 2011

I see.
                        So, just to exploit a 6/7.1 system, it might be advisable to use also a spdf/optical link, plus the HDMI for the lossless-pcm tracks.
                        Thanks, Hurin!

Comment

• RoMan
                          • Jan 2007

Update. Just received my used RSP 1069. Great shape but no RR 1060 English manual..lol...Guess I can just get it off the Rotel website. It sounds really good so far but I am far from an ideal setup. I'll need to get a flatscreen tv, some more speakers(3 more + 3 mono block amps), I will be getting a second CLR 2500 in a few days to complete the 2 channel setup I will have in my bedroom. Stay tuned Club Rotel..haha..

RoMan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"