X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Loud PoP...

Hi all,

This morning I turned on my preamp first. My RMB 1095 comes on because of the 12v trigger immediately. When I went to turn on my RB 1090(no 12v trigger) I didn't depress the button all the way till it clicked and let it go. All of a sudden I heard like a mini power surge or what sounded like a power surge. I heard like a thump. My preamp(RSP 1570) turned off all by itself and it looked like my Furman power conditioners blue light dimmed for a bit but I just had a quick glance over so I can't be certain if that was the case.

I was a bit worried I had done some harm to my gear and speakers all because of being in a hurry to turn on my RB 1090 and not turning it on all the way. I waited a couple of minutes and everything turned on and it seemed to be in working condition.

Anybody explain would could've happened here? Any recommendations to turning on my gear so that this type of thing doesn't happen again? I seriously considered moving on my RB 1090 and getting a RB 1572- 2 channel amp today because I like the 12v trigger it has and I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing happening in the future. Thanks again all.

RoMan
    :T
  • Bostonears
    • Mar 2004

You could get a power conditioner with some of its outlets switched by 12v trigger. Furman and most other power conditioner manufacturers have models with such a feature.

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

Thanks Bostonears. Actually I do have a Furman power conditioner that does have a 12v trigger however my RB 1090 doesn't have a 12v trigger in or out. So, I'll have to ensure that when I turn it on I press the button right down until it locks in place. Super great amp and would hate to part with it for that simple reason.

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

You would use the preamp's 12v trigger output to switch the power conditioner outlet(s) for the RB1090 or for both power amps.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by RoMan
          Actually I do have a Furman power conditioner that does have a 12v trigger however my RB 1090 doesn't have a 12v trigger in or out.
          My Belkin PF-60 conditioner has triggered outlets that work with a standard 12V trigger or control power cord plugged into a switched preamp or receiver outlet. I use the feature with my vintage Phase Linear 400 Series 2 amp that has no power switch. It works nicely, turning the amp on last and off first.

So, I'll have to ensure that when I turn it on I press the button right down until it locks in place.
          Exactly. If you don't press the power switch firmly enough, you get a rapid bouncing of the switch contacts, causing multiple inrush currents. IMO that is what you experienced. It has happened to me two or three times in the past with on one of my amps -- lesson eventually learned. In each case, the arc fault circuit breaker protecting my dedicated line tripped, instantaneously shutting off the power, probably assuming there was a genuine arcing fault on the line.

Comment

• RoMan
            • Jan 2007

So Glen B, from the trigger out on your preamp/receiver to the trigger in on your power conditioner is that how you have it set up? My RB 1090 has the power on/off button, would it still turn off if I left it on or do I need to manually turn it off? That would be great if I could leave it on and let the Furman switch it on and off.

RoMan

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

So Glen B, from the trigger out on your preamp/receiver to the trigger in on your power conditioner is that how you have it set up? My RB 1090 has the power on/off button, would it still turn off if I left it on or do I need to manually turn it off? That would be great if I could leave it on and let the Furman switch it on and off.

RoMan
              I'm using the "remote AC cord" triggering option. A C7 style power cord goes between a switched outlet of my AVR and the power conditioner's remote AC trigger input. When the remote AC input detects power, it triggers the switched outlet bank of the power conditioner. If you leave your RB1090 power switch on, you should be able to use the Furman to switch it on/off.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"