X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windmiller
    • Sep 2007

Speaker setup w/o OSD on rsx1057

Moved to a new house and I do not have component cables run so I cannot use the OSD. My TV is wall mounted about 20 feet from the receiver and I really dont want to have to unplug everything and physicall move the receiver underneath the TV to make these changes..ouch.

I need to remove rears from the 1057's speaker setup and also add a subwoofer and then change center from large to small.

After reading the manual I still can't tell if these setting can be changed on the remote.

Can this be done without the OSD?
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Dunno but you can get a cheap composite video cable for this purpose from RS or Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

You absolutely cannot do the changes you need without the OSD. The changes are made both using the remote and the OSD. I would suggest temporarily using a long composite (Basically a RCA patchcord) cable from the back of the receiver to the tv.

Your desired setup without rears is odd??. I ran my Rotel initially without a center channel and it did not perform well at all with movies and concerts. In DTS or Dolby digital, the unit will likely not perform well without rears.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• windmiller
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by madmac
        You absolutely cannot do the changes you need without the OSD. The changes are made both using the remote and the OSD. I would suggest temporarily using a long composite (Basically a RCA patchcord) cable from the back of the receiver to the tv.

Your desired setup without rears is odd??. I ran my Rotel initially without a center channel and it did not perform well at all with movies and concerts. In DTS or Dolby digital, the unit will likely not perform well without rears.
        Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

I am removing rears from the configs because I don't have them anymore and it will be another couple of months before I buy a pair of B&W 705's.

The difference between not having a center channel or not having rears is huge in my opinion since the center channel handles voice while the rears is ambient sounds.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Also, do not forget to set all of parameters (ie..preferred sub crossover feq, distance to listener for all speakers..etc). These are all REALLY important and will greatly improve the sound. Also, set each speaker level with an SPL meter.

What will happen is when you tell the Rotel you have no rear speakers in the setup, it will attempt to send that 'Sound' to your front speakers. This is where trouble can start in regards to performance since DTS and DD are not designed to work that way and neither is the Rotel. If you do not like the results, you can always 'fool' the Rotel into thinking you have rears but not connect them until you get your new rears installed. Once you get them, you will have to re-connect the video cable to the TV and Rotel and indicate to the Rotel how far away they are to the main listener and set volume level with your other speakers using an SPL meter for best results.

I have your exact receiver and when the system is properly adjusted and calibrated, the results are strikingly good for both movies and music. ENJOY !

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

For what it's worth, the 1058 and newer models support the Settings Backup Software on Rotel's website. With that you can make any changes you want and upload the settings to the unit.

Does not work with your 1057 unfortunately.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

That's cool !! However, if you change speakers or their location, or introduce new speakers to a HT setup, new speaker levels will have to be established preferably using an SPL meter using the OSD. You can't backup settings on something that was never there or moved to a new location in the setup.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"