X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miket
    • Oct 2004

Opinions Wanted: CM9 and RB-1092 or RB-1080

Hi All,
    anybody out there driving a pair of B&W CM9s with either a rotel RB-1092 or a RB-1080 care to leave a few comments on what they think of their system? I've a chance to buy the speakers new at normal shop price with a big discount on either amp used. I've an RCD-1072 feeding an RC-1082.

Thanks.....Miket
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Not a true comparison but this may help. I have a pair of N804 and a ASW800 sub. My first amp/pre with this was a RB-1070/RC-1070. I upgrade to a RC-1090/RB-1092 and was very please with the outcome - this was when the RB-1092 was first released. Many owners praise the RB-1080 but have expereinced fuse issues. I had never had a problem with either of my setups - blew a fuse once in the RB-1070 when loose strands of speaker wires were touching. I was so pleased with the RB-1092 that when I designed an analogue only setup (LPs, turntable) I purchased another RB-1092 and used a RC-1082 with it. Stayed with this until I upgraded to a full McIntosh setup. Keep in mind both of the amps you are considering are discontinued so you should be getting a huge discount on them (if NIB at least 50%). Be sure you are getting the full manufacturers warranty if demo or New In Box.

Comment

• hurin
      • Sep 2009

Both have more than enough power to drive your speakers, as for which one is better, D vs A/B, I think is a matter of taste.
      I have the 1080 and the part about it having fuse issues is true. But once I stopped using the 12v trigger there have been no problems.

Personally I would go for the 1092.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"