X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reese
    • Oct 2012

amp & set up sugestions please for cm9 & 684 b&w to get bang for my buck

ive just picked up some cm9 & a pair of 684 has any one got ideas for a pretty good amp set up etc preamps with out blowing a stupid amount of money but bang for ya buck type of thing??
    i was looking at a rotel rb1080 for the 200 watt cm9 & a bit smaller one for the 684 being 150watts but the pass lab x250,5 looks good as a big amp a bit dear if you get my price range but ive not herd any of these so ime going out to hi fi shop taking my speakers with me to plug them in to some of there best amps & work down from there to see what sound i like & hope its the cheaper one its for my work shop its about 20 x 20 metre square to fill with tilt slap concrete walls not the best environment to sort out it will be better if you gals & guys can point me in the right direction p.s one of the other caps on the b&w speaker site said perhaps a emotiva ime looking into that pressnetly aswell ime not sure if its got a 240 volt operating system thow for new zealand
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, reese! Wow, that's one big long sentence.

I assume since you're posting this in Club Parasound that you'd like input specifically about Parasound options. One thing there, is that Parasound is particularly known for the "bang for your buck" aspect, so that's a good start.

What's your system configuration going to be? 5.1? 7.1? I'm not a B&W expert, but I *HIGHLY*, *HIGHLY* recommend you sonically match your speakers within a particular series. Gear would depend on whether you're going for two-channel or (as I suspect) surround theater sound. But then gear would also be likely matched since speakers are matched. i.e. you would probably not want a 100W amp for a small center channel and then 250W amp for two mains.

You may want to look into New Classic gear, maybe a 5250 for a 5.1 setup. If you want, you could match that to a used 7100 pre-amp. That setup would give you lots of bang for your buck.

We definitely have club members here using B&W, and even at least one each from NZ and Australia. Yes, you can use 240W Parasound gear.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• reese
      • Oct 2012

you are probably setting on the remote that might be why your t.v changes channels haa haa ahh yes your attachment made me laugh

getting back to where we started originally um yes ime only using this odd set of speakers for music
      And yes a surround amp does adjust channels up or down side ways for the smaller speakers ive got being the 684,s that does work but at a cost for one that doesnt lose sound quality if they come with enough watts /current also
      But i think i should look for perhaps two amps Ab types one big 200 watt plus & a 120 watt amp plug them together with a preamp & dac of some sort there are a few options but which ones are the best with out blowing the sales rep & my bank

-----this is interesting also what you've said below was along side my first thoughts

You may want to look into New Classic gear, maybe a 5250 for a 5.1 setup. If you want, you could match that to a used 7100 pre-amp. That setup would give you lots of bang for your buck.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"