X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • resperc
    • May 2004

Pending Rotel 15-Series 2 Channel Purchase: I Have Questions

First let me say I love this forum. I have been a frequent visitor (and occasional poster) for a few years now.

Situation:
    For many reasons and circumstances I am giving up my Rotel-based 5.1 system (RSP-1069/RMB-1075 combo with Polk Lsi Speakers) and going back to a stereo set-up. I intend to get a RC-1580/RB-1582 combo to replace the electronics. I am not sure on speakers, but Paradigm Studios, B&W 6-Series, PSB Image/Imagine and Monitor Audio RX Series are at the top of the list. I have made plans to go hear some demos in the coming weeks.

Questions:
    1-The RSP-1069 can generate a lot of heat. The RMB-1075 runs pretty cool. How much heat will the RC-1580 and RB-1582 produce in comparison?
    2-If for some reason I need to lower my budget would you substitute the more economic pre-amp (RC-1550) or the more economical amp (RB-1552)? Any personal experiences are greatly appreciated.

That is it for now. Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

I am the happy owner of the RC1550 and RB1552, to my ears it's the best sounding Rotel combo I have ever heard, so I can recommend them very much. I have not heard the RB 1582, but if it's the same as the old RB1080 I would go for the RB1552 since that has a more full/warm sound compared to the RB 1080. The RC1580 is a high end preamp and therefore it is more revealing and analytic, to some ears more thin sounding than the RC1550 wich has a more laidback and full/warm sound. Hopes this helps, but go and have a listen your self.
    If you go for sheer power and control(a bit thin sound) go for the RC1580/RB1582 combo. But if you like a little soul and a musical sounding combo go for the RC1550/RB1552.

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Mikael
      I have not heard the RB 1582, but if it's the same as the old RB1080 I would go for the RB1552 since that has a more full/warm sound compared to the RB 1080.
      Huh? I'm not following your logic here. How does the smaller, weaker amp have a more "full/warm sound"? The RB-1080 might be the an older generation, but it's still a strong power amp. The RB-1552 definitely lacks headroom, even for smaller speakers.

To the OP, I would opt for the RB-1582 personally. There's only a $600 difference in price between it and the RB-1552 at msrp. On the used market, even lower. Just save up and do it right.
      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"