X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul2102
    • Jul 2003

RSP-1066/RMB-1075 Loud Pop - Amp cooked

I have been enjoying my Rotel setup for 8 years. A few month ago, when I powered up my system to listen to music, I heard a loud pop, then smelled smoke coming from the 1075. One of my rear speakers was no longer working.

I finally go around to sending it off to Rotel for repair, but since it was out of warranty, I took a look inside to see if there was anything obvious first. There was a blown fuse, which I replace (with the same value) to see if that was all that was wrong. Plugged it in, powered up, and smoke came pouring out of it. I then noticed a few burnt resisters. So off to local Rotel repair center it went.

Several transistors and resistors need to be replaced, the bill over $300.

Does anyone know why something like this would suddenly happen, after running perfectly for 8 years? There were times when I hadn't used it for months because of an illness, but whenever I needed it, it always provided great sound and lots of enjoyment. I chose Rotel because of their high quality, but I have other amps. that are pushing 30 years and still working without any problems. Any precautions that I could take to keep this from happening again is appreciated.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Rotel equipment tends to get quite hot due to their fabulous, powerful amp sections (That's why they have those heat sinks). Is it a digital unit or is it all analogue?. I had a similar problem with an RSX 1056 unit but it was under warranty. In my case, there was a pop but no smoke. Also, many times if I turned if off then on again via the switch at the back of the unit and that fixed the problem for awhile. Your problem sounds more serious though. When there is smoke that is usually not a good sign !!. Make sure it's properly ventilated (Not stacked with other components and NOT inside a wall unit!!) and it's probably not a good idea to play it hard (Loud) when the temperature is above 85 degrees or so.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• paul2102
      • Jul 2003

Never play it loud. I usually set it somewhere around 45 or so. It happened as I turned it on on a cool morning in the Spring. Not much heat.

I was told it could have been a shorted or crossed speaker wire. I wasn't aware that could do so much damage. If a speaker wire is shorted, it could cause your amplifier to blow up and burn?? If this is true, I guess we should inspect and replace speaker wires every 5 or so years.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

To the best of my limited but first-hand knowledge, shorting the speaker terminals or wires will typically cause the fuse on the circuit board to blow usually with no other discernable damage.

Your event seems to have been of a more serious nature. I had an RMB 980 for 15 yrs that is now over 17 yo and still running strong in its second owner's system.

Electronics are complex and sometimes things wear out or deteriorate over time. No amp, regardless of make or age, is immune to failures of one sort or another.

If you have found satisfaction with the unit in question, I would recommend having Rotel repair it and look forward many more years of service. I have an RB 990 that was refurbished by Rotel that I still enjoy V much.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but like they say, sometimes 'stuff happens'. It's unfortunate that it happened to you. If it has turned you against Rotel then nothing I or anybody else has to say will likely change your mind. That said, I currently have three Rotel amps, an RB 990, RB 1050 & RB 1090. If any one of them fried, I would not hesitate to have it repaired by Rotel at a reasonable price.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"