X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iningo_Montoya
    • Jul 2003

Help!!! 1065 problem

Hey guys, just got a 1065 about a week and a half ago. It had been working great for me up until this point. Today when I went to play a CD (have a Panasonic RP-91 hooked up to it, as well as a pair of 4 ohm Onix Ref 1 speakers) it made a loud pop and a little smoke came out of the front part of the unit. It also powered itself down. I waited a little bit before trying to turn it back on again, and this time it popped more and made more smoke. After looking under the hood, it seems that the amp stages are towards the front. Did I just fry the whole thing or is this something that can be easily fixed? I am really worried because this is something I bought off Audiogon and not locally. Any advice and suggestions would be helpful.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Wow, that's a bummer Iningo.

I'm not an electrical engineer, so can't be of much help. When I've heard of problems similar to yours, some have suggested checking the fuses carefully to make certain that none have blown.

Before messing inside, disconnect it from the power. Wait at least a day or more before taking off the cover to allow any left over electrical charge to dissipate. Look for anything that appears to be burned, maybe a capacitor that looks like it exploded or split open. If it's just a fuse, it should be easy to replace, but the smoke is concerning. Also, check the solder points to make sure they're shiny and don't look burnt or dull.

Once again, I'm not a tech, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. As always, I'm hoping that more members will jump in to share their knowledge.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Iningo I'd take it back to your dealer and have it service. Smoke is never a good thing when it comes to electronics and I find it inconceivable that its just a fuse .

PS great user name ;zx

Comment

• Iningo_Montoya
        • Jul 2003

Andrew,

Will a dealer be willing to service something that was not bought from them? If that's the case, I will gladly take it in. I just didn't know how the Rotel dealers felt about serviceing used goods. Until then, I will be looking for the six-fingered man! .........

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Rotels come with 5 year warrenty so it should be covered. If you call the dealer he might suggest you go to who ever is the local service center for Rotel which would be fine. You should likely contact Rotels tech support as well in case they have a suggestion to try...at the very least Tim or Mike ought to be able to point you to the right service centre.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"