X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Rb 1050 amp

Hi all,

I have seen a RB 1050 amp for sale for 400.00 Cdn. Is that a decent price for an amp purchased new 3 years ago? I will be using it in my bedroom hooked up to my RSP 1068. Does anyone have any experience with using this amp? I hear it is a nice sounding amp. I would appreciate any comments and/or reviews of what Rotel forum members think of this amp. I believe it is 70 watts x 2. Thanks in advance everybody.

RoMan
    :T
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

I have an RB-1050 in my bedroom between an RC-971 and a pair of old JBL L20T bookshelf speakers and I find it's a great amp. Specs are great and it has more than enough power for my situation.

Chris P.

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for the response. Thats where I plan to use the RB 1050 too with some Paradigm Atoms and an Energy subwoofer. I think it would be fine there too. Just curious but is 400.00 plus shipping extra Cdn reasonable for a 3 year old amp?

RoMan

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I bought a gently used dealer demo for $300US three years ago. $400CD seems a bit steep to me, but I have no idea of the current status of the used market these days for this amp. (IIRC, original MSRP was about $500).

I had it powering my rear surrounds for a while till I upgraded & thought it performed fine. Still have it packed away. Would rather save it for possible use in another secondary system down the road than sell it. I feel it’s worth keeping. It won’t blow your socks off with ‘big’ dynamics, but it did not ever deliver unruly distortion when asked to work hard.

I might suggest you keep your eye on Audiogon to see what the benchmark is currently.

As always, YMMV, JMHO
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
          I bought a gently used dealer demo for $300US three years ago. $400CD seems a bit steep to me, but I have no idea of the current status of the used market these days for this amp. (IIRC, original MSRP was about $500).
          The MSRP was $400 US. I have seen them listed on Audiogon for $225 - $300 US.

Steve

Comment

• RoMan
            • Jan 2007

I think it's a fair price as I am in Canada. If I bought over the border I would have to pay HST(harmonized sales tax), duty plus shipping, plus brokerage fees which would have added up to the same price. Plus he threw in a pair of AudioQuest Sidewinder cables for free. It cost me 40.00 to have it shipped Ground by FedEx. So on second thought yeah I think its a fair price.

Gee, thanks for all the comments, opinions though I really appreciate it. He is getting the amp shipped today. Next week will be sweet. :T

RoMan

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by srb
              The MSRP was $400 US. I have seen them listed on Audiogon for $225 - $300 US.

Steve
              Thanks for the clarification on the MSRP Steve, I was too lazy to look it up.

Originally posted by RoMan
              So on second thought yeah I think its a fair price
              All that 'really' matters is if You are happy. It sucks that our Northern friends have to deal with all the tariffs and taxes when buying from the States.

It's a good, well-built amp that is V conservatively rated both power and sound-wise, IMHO. I feel confident you will be happy with it.

Enjoy!
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gear
                • Oct 2010

I use two RB-1050s to drive my side and back surrounds. Great amps that have more than enough power.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"